Author Topic: elm flatbow  (Read 39464 times)

tpoof

elm flatbow
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:08:24 pm »
Hey Guys,,,,

Well it seems that I could use some opinions, wonder if I might get some here ;)

Finally got time to work on the Elm Flatbow that I started probably 3 years ago! Time just seems to fly these days!
Anyway I've got it pretty much to profile and the tiller isn't even tooo bad but I just want to do something different!?

I've got a bunch of sinew from along time ago and thought that maybe this would be a good bow to practice on! This will be my first sinew job! I'm a sinew virgin ;D
The sinew is deer leg stuff and after reading bout applying it I'm sure I can do it without much trouble,,,famous last words  lol I'll be using Knox instead of regular hide glue.
Heres where the opinions come in,,,, :D
Do you's think I should heat treat it?,  it has a wonky deflex spot and has taken some set from tillering,  bout 1.5"
Its so close to tiller I was worried that the heat treating might scorch the limbs too badly?
Don't think I have enough wood on the limbs to have to take off alot of charring?
First heat treat job as well, don't know if I should or????
This is the bow I want to put those Garter Snake skins on as well

I'll send up some pictures and you's can have a look see
Just not sure what to do but don't really want to do just another flatbow, got lots o them
With the heat treat, willI be able to put in a fair bit of recurve? even if I loose most it will still be better than string follow   no?

[attachment deleted by admin]

tpoof

Re: elm flatbow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:11:35 pm »
Man those are some crappy pictures  ;D

You can't tell really but it has very close growth rings spaced about 1/16th
Still has tool marks on the belly as well

Give me some feedback,..... ??? :)

tpoof

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »
Here's some better snaps  I think

tip, grip, belly, back

What you's think?? ???  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:42:27 pm »
If the limbs are thin enough to bend well, I'd  maybe pull it backwards (gently) into reflex and lay the sinew to it. How long is it?

PS-like that handle shape, I make 'em similar to that sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:44:36 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

tpoof

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:59:17 pm »
Its 67" overall,,,65" nock to nock

don't know how I ended up with such measures,,,, ::)

I'm not sure if I can reflex it without heat, I think she'll blow!
Maybe steam?  That would also be a first ;)

Have a feeling this bow will teach alot

DCM

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
Looks excellent.  I've had elm pop a ring in the fade, on the belly side when I got too aggressive on the taper.  Like the looks of  yours but wouldn't go a whole lot farther depending upon density and soundness of your stave.  Nice.  love to see elm work.

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:41:10 pm »
67" is pretty long for sinew backing.. depending on your draw length that is.
perhaps you should leave it that length but treat it as if it's shorter. in other words only apply sinew to the length of bow you plan on keeping.
....before I make any assumptions tell us how far you intend to draw this bow. (if you only draw 26" for instance you can likely get away with a 60" bow, maybe shorter, depending on how long the stiff grip is)   
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

tpoof

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »
Well my draw is right at 27 1/2" and I agree that it is long for sinew,,
When I first started to build this bow it was going to be a plain self backed(nothing) bow
then I started thinkin about this snake skin and all this sinew sitting there   lol

I thought that if I can heat treat it and bend it into a shallow recurve,
then but some sinew on to keep the profile somewhat,
and back it with snakeskin (if it isn't too freezer burnt)

It would definitely be understressed at my 27.5 draw
but should be smooth yes?

Any more thoughts on this project,,,
Thankfull for what was given...
(persimmon, I'm not sure if I understand the sinew only to the length of bow I am keeping? and treat it as its shorter,
could you clarify that please and thanks for the time :) you mean cut it shorter?

What would you guys do with this ?????     ???
 :D

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:08:24 pm »
leave the bow it's current length while sinewing but make some marks or simply stop the sinew short of where you intend to cut it off...as sinew at the very tips is only added mass.
with the longer limbs (the bow at it's current length) you can get a bit more leverage if you reverse string it while sinew is applied and dries.

hope this clears things up ?? 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:18 pm »
  I'd do what hillbilly said,put some heat to that one limb.Bend it to match the other one and sinew the bow from tip to tip.Tie it into slight reflex and let it dry.You will have to retiller it after it dries any way
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

tpoof

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:31 am »
ttt

tpoof

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 08:05:09 pm »
Well guys, major changes in the Elm flatbow!
Its more like a 56" semi recurve now!  :o
Chopped down the tips and that threw the tiller out the window, so retillered to 28" and then built this caul, just guesstimated the proper curve, (really not sure if it is proper) and put the heat to her! Went slow at it and it all curved really easily it seemed, never used no crisco  ;D, and no worry about the charring that I thought would happen.
I even thru it on the tillering tree just to have a quick look and it gained quite a bit of weight!
Tiller looks not too bad either, I'll post up some full draw shots when I get there.

Here's what it looks like for now!
I keep telling myself "its just a hunk of wood" lol

mnewcomb59

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:48 pm »
I like it! Those big curves look like a pretty radical r/d design.  But, the real question is where did you get all them arrows? Holy crap! Im lucky to have a full dozen sometimes...

tpoof

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 08:33:19 pm »
Those arrows are a story in themselves!

My wife and I used to shoot trad archery for Team Sask quite a few years ago, we went to alot of competitions and shot all over the province and Canada. The wife took to the bow like a real natural and won almost every comp she entered!

She had her pic taken by the local paper one year and it was of her shooting her bow and talk of how I build arrows and stuff and awhile later we get this phone call from an old lady.

She goes on to say how her husband died quite a few years back and he was into archery and if I liked if I wanted to come and look over some of his stuff!

Duh! Ya !! ;D    Went over to her place and we get to his archery room and it is filled with stuff!, shafts of all kinds, quivers, longbows, recurves, fletching jigs, feathers, tabs, everything!!!  I was in shock of it all!

She asked what I thought of it and I said that you can plainly see he was a man who loved archery and thought that she should put the gear in a museum or something! Alot of it was history itself!

She looked at me and said that I reminded her of her husband with my enthusiasm for archery and said she could see it in me when we walked into that room!
She asked how much I would be willing to pay for all that stuff andI told her it was priceless to be hence the idea of the museum!
She said I want you to take it, Roy would want you too!!

I just about hit the floor! Got it all!   Lemonwood longbows, 10's of dozens of shafts all with spine deflections on them, footed arrows, a old recurve that I've never seen before, just a bunch of archery gear! ;D

Her husband Roy, is with me now when I go hunting! his shafts in my quiver, his bow in my hand, I wish this gear will go to another who loves archery after I'm dust and gone!

I get all mushy just lookin at the stuff lol! :'( ;)

tpoof

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 09:16:27 pm »
I took a couple pulls!  Those curves open right up!, but seem to cpme back right where they were, very little set it seems

Didn't want to pull too much as I still want to sinew back her, then I can finish off the tiller, I hope! ;D

This bow has many faces and is a good teacher!  I'll continue to work on her and see how the sinew works out.

Always open to suggestions! don't mind the school of hard knocks, but after so many years of it,,,,, lol