Author Topic: elm flatbow  (Read 39146 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: elm flatbow
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
That's a great looking bow! I like that profile, looks like a good'un.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 05:15:28 pm »
Hey that turned out pretty nice! Did you have to tweak the limbs like we were talking about?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

tpoof

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 08:37:05 pm »
Yes Ryano and then some!  :o lol

When I first bent the limbs with dry heat I must have stressed one limb big time, and cracked it! never noticed till I let the sinew dry out and put it on the tillering tree,  one curve just pulled right out and twisted bad, one stayed good.
Put the heat to her again to try to regain some curve to match the other  and retwist it some and I overstressed it again and cracked the limb closer to the tip this time,,,holy s--t!!  :o ( this bow never really wanted to be a recurve I'm thinkin)lol  ::)

So I made up some of the Jay Massey finish (epoxy and acetone)mix to a thick sirup and slapped it over the weak limb curve while having it tied to properbend and twist position! about 4 coats worth of epoxy ??? ::)
Next day it was hard as rock, put it back on the tree and darned if it didn't hold!, the curve looked good! had to retiller big time to get the limbs to match but now that I've shot it about 100 times its holding better than the other limb!??

I'm going to finish her off with those Garter skins ( I hope) and use this bow as a learning tool, which it most certainly was!
I'm thinkin of wrapping the tips with thin rawhide to help with the splint effect, might as well throw everything at her! lol
Its still quite twisted but gives good arrow pass, almost like offset limbs  lol  ;D

This bow, Many Faces, has been a great teacher and isn't finished her lessons yet!
As it grows or blows I'll keep you's posted!  ;) 8)
Thanks again guys for all the great ideas and input!

tpoof

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:30:43 am »
Well here we go!, check to see if those Garter skins are freezer burnt, one was unsalvagable 2 were good to go!

I had 2 of them in the freezer for quite a few years, maybe 8- 10, not even sure, lol.

Started to skin em out after they thawed and as I was cutting up from the vent, little babys were falling out!, :o  thought they were leeches at first! but second look confirmed the baby Garters,  pretty gross!  ;D

They cleaned up good, tried washing them with Dawn dishsoap to degrease some and then let them dry for about 8 hrs.
They were still nice and supple when I sized the back of the bow and the skins with Knox Gelatin.
Installation went very well, I tend to worry needlessly over things sometimes!  ::)

Still got to descale em and trim and finish but after alignment I think they're going to look allright!

The previous thread about the Garter snakes skins was a big help to me guys!, without youre help I'd still be in the dark on alot of this!
I've only had my computer for a year and the information is just unreal, sure makes it easier than the school of hardknocks!
Sure appreciate all the help you's have so unselfishly provided!

Here's a few of the latest pics!

Think I'll have to keep an eye open for more Garters from now on!   :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 11:46:38 am »
Hey, Nice glue-up-along. I love the look of the garder snakes. I wouildn't kill one but if I had skins I'd use them.
   Maybe you could skin out the babies for some of the bows Marius and friends are making.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

chuck

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 12:03:07 pm »
That bow is coming along real good you should get good reviews on that bow. I sure like that recurve design. I am trying my first recruve on a bamboo. Man that thing is the dickens to tiller. Can;t wait to see yours finished. Chuck

tpoof

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 02:10:46 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Chuck! I learned alot on this bow, mainly the next time I do a recurve the limb curves will be way smaller and tighter. I'm sure I put too much stress on the limbs with that big bend! Oh well live and learn!

Pat, Those baby's are only about 3" long and !/4 " thick! A little too small I'm thinkin.  :)

I don't care for killin good creatures, but that day at my buddies he had hundreds of them crawling out from under his concrete steps!, it was very upsetting for him as he hates snakes and just was almost hurling when I started catching the big ones for a future project! lol

He later put poison under the steps and now there is no more Garter's there. :'(
Poor wildlife always getting the ol heave ho!

tpoof

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 11:22:52 am »
Its Done!, its finally done!  ;D

Manyfaces is finished!
 The bow looks fantastic!, the finish went well, 4 coats of gloss poly with a satin overspray to keep down the shine. Put on some Bobcat paw limb silencers on the tips, it was abit noisey with the string hitting the limbs but now she's silent.:) The colors of the paw match the dark of the snake and the tan of the wood perfect
Tied up a new B50 Dacron string, 3ply, 15 strand,black,brown and yellow,also tied in some mink tail string silencers, seems to match the colours of the bow very well!
As for a grip I had some calf lacing and used that to wrap the grip, it just seemed to match the skin scale look better. lol
Had that belly problem on the bottom limb tip and decided to put a splint on!, got some rawhide cut to fit, wetted and stitched on, dyed brown and coated in finish it is now hard and works very well, somethings just seem to work themselves out. lol Turned out almost like a static curve but still moves some.

Put her on trhe scale and she pulls 44lbs @27", 54" ntn. somewaht lighter than I hoped but still very nice to draw and seems to shoot very snappy.
I'm very pleased with the building of this bow and was going at alot of it in the dark!
If I have anyone to thank for the help in building this bow it would be you fine folk from PA!
You're unselfish giving of advise is very rare in this day and age, and is much appreciated from me big time!  ;D
Well here's the rest of the pics!
Thanks again
tpoof

tpoof

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 11:25:36 am »
a few more!  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 11:27:25 am »
Man, that turned out nice! Great job, looks like a good'un.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2007, 11:28:15 am »
She looks very nice. You know we won't leave you alone until you show us a braced and full draw pic.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tpoof

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 11:32:10 am »
No prob! Pat B, can't make a bow and not post the most important parts! lol  ;D
Thanks again guys!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 11:35:09 am »
I guess I jumped you too soon. She looks great. You did a fine job with this bow.   Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 11:38:54 am »
Very nice tpoof I looked at it early on and just seen it again,it came a long way.Great job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2007, 11:42:51 am »
Beautiful bow right down to the details.  I love those skins.  I'm kinda with Pat on not liking to kill garter snakes.  I always feel bad when I hit one with the lawn mower.  I do relish torturning and killing rattlers though so I'm a total hypocrite. ;)  Anyway, there's a bow to be proud of. 

J. D. Duff