Author Topic: urac 185 and heat treating  (Read 2253 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
urac 185 and heat treating
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:57:14 am »
ive got a hickory/osage bow that came out a bit light. i was wondering if i heat treated it if it would weaken the glue line. i had heard before that you can heat urac and it wouldn't soften, but i just wanted to make sure. 

Thanks!
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline artcher1

Re: urac 185 and heat treating
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:38:34 pm »
You can "flash" temper the limbs Phil. Doesn't take but about 10 minutes or so to do a limb. Keep your heat gun very close to the wood and this helps prevent the heat from running over the edges. Be sure to give your limbs a little reflex or setback as you're warming up the limbs. You're just looking for a little color change and with no scorching. Good luck. ART

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »
Urac will actually stand quite a lot of heat.  I use it when making risers for F**** G**** bows cause u can heat it a few times with no problems.  I would suggest the flash tempering also.  I use a propane torch  and just scorch it with out letting the heat soak in too long.  also i have used my gas grill.  should work ok, but i have only tried it a few times.  don't forget the reflex when heating it thats where you will gain your weight back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:47:34 pm »
...and don't forget to give the bow plenty of time before stressing it. A few days at least if you are in a humid area. More for dry areas.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:24:45 pm »
thanks for the info all. I had talked to Jerry Brumm of Great Northern Bowhunting, he uses urac for their wood to wood lams. he told me that heat to a certain degree wont effect the glue. this plays right in with what you all are saying.

i just gave it a try. i put it into some reflex, and held the heat gun about 1 to 2 inches away, moved it back and forth pretty quickly till it was gettin that nice golden brown. took maybe 3 min. i was also having some problems with it not bending enough in the outer 3rd, so i only did the inner 3rd to the middle of the limb. its cooling down now, and ill let it sit in the form overnight. then let it re-hidrate for a couple days. ill let you all know how it went.

the hickory didnt get hot at all, so im not worried about the glueline creaping.

thanks again!
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05:37 am »
I've actualy bent mild recurves into laminated bows glued with urac, it should be fine.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....