Author Topic: Trade points  (Read 27297 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Trade points
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 01:29:16 pm »
Explain how a cold chisel works for this please..... ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »
Place the stock to be cut on a hard surface(anvil) and with a sharp cold chisle(used for cutting steel) and a hammer, go around the shape to be cut out and score it by hitting the chisle with the hammer. If the scoring goes well, you ought to be able to snap the blanks out along the score lines as BikerMike suggests. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bikermikearchery

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 07:36:35 am »
That sounds easer than the dremmel. I tried a cold chisel once but I clamped the stock in a vice and beat the chisel through. Just made big ugly tears. I'll try it your way now.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 12:19:43 pm »
I GOTTA TRY THIS....WOULD BE COOL TO MAKE MY OWN BROADHEADS. :)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 01:14:25 pm »
Just made my first trade point from a band saw blade. Steel's tougher then any circular saw bade I've used in the past for trades. Thickness and weight are the same for their dimensions though. 'Bout wrecked my hacksaw blade on the first one so I annealed the metal for the second attempt. Didn't help one bit! Going to have to find an easier method for cutting out this band saw material I reckon. Here's a pic-ART B

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:09 pm »
   Damm---thats beautiful, mine when I made them could hardly be called trade points.nobody would trade for 'em. :D ; :D......bob

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 03:03:25 pm »
Very helpful thread.  I'll try a couple ways this weekend and post my progress.

J. D. Duff

duffontap

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 03:19:12 am »
Did I say 'this weekend'?  I meant this year.

J. D. Duff

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 05:33:11 pm »
I use a 10" cuttoff grinding wheel on a chopsaw.( Electric miter)  Cuts out a blank in about 10 seconds. The biggest problem which is easily overcome is using a piece of hardwood underneath the metal as a support. Clamping the steel down with a piece of hardwood on top also eliminated some safety problems and made for a cleaner cut.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 06:04:38 pm »
If you use your chop saw, make sure you use the wood under the metal.  Unless your chop saw is made for metal it probably has plastic on the deck.  The material being cut will get hot and melt the plastic on the deck.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah