Author Topic: Stick And String Makes Backstraps Tonight Baby!!  (Read 12011 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Stick And String Makes Backstraps Tonight Baby!!
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:23:15 am »
Well I started off Yesterday for a 3 Day Hunting Trip with my Best Friend Brad....But He ended up having to work Friday....So I did Honey-Doo's...and packed everything up so that when Brad got off...We could haul Butt to the Deer Lease!  We got there right at Dark....so no Hunting for Us that Night....So We went and checked all of the Game Camera's and topped off the Feeders....Well two cameras were full of Pictures....and both of My Feeders had quit working....Squirrel's chewed the Solar Panel Wires off!! So I got them going again...and Hoped and Prayed that they hadn't been off for many Days...went back to the Camper and looked at the Pictures that We D/L'ed from the Cameras on Brads Laptop....just one Buck at His Feeder....and nothing but Doe at Mine...and the feeder quit 4 days ago.... not good! Well We went to Bed at 11:00....got up at 5:30....and headed to the Stands.... by 6:30....it was still pretty Dark....I had 11 Doe and Yearlings on the Ground 25 yards from Me....and 2 Button Bucks....I made a Promise that I would not Shoot a Doe until the Last Week of Season....So I didn't get Skunked.... I am not one to Shoot Momma with the Kids watching.. :(....For about 35 minutes I had nothing but Doe fighting and sparring in front of Me....and no Video Camera to film it with....because the Absent Minded Moron I am....I forgot the Camera...and the Video Recorder...lucky I didn't forget the Bow! I st there till 1:00 pm.....and didn't have anything else besides a hundred Turkeys come in!! So I went back to the Camp....took a Nap....washed Up....and headed out again at 5:00 pm....I sat in my Stand for only 45 minutes when the Doe started camming in for the Corn....Three Doe were eating for quite a while ...when one of them must have winded Me....and they hauled ass....so I sat there for about 45 minutes with nothing moving....but then out of thin Air...7 Doe and Yearlings appeared while I wasn't even ready for them....like Ghosts they appeared! An then about 600 yards across a Winter Wheat Field I seen a Massive Der Heading My Way....My Heart started racing....I started to have problems Breathing.....man I thought that I was going to have a Stroke!!! I have never had Buck Fever so Bad ....and to Top it all off...When He does come in ...he comes in Facing the wind....but for some act of God....He doesn't Wind Me...and walks straight in to the Feed....and then like I haven't had enough excitement for and Old Bugger....This Buck decides that He is going to hide Behind Mesquite Trees....my Feeder Barrel....and the other Doe....just to make the Shot that much Harder!! Finally after what seemed like 2 Days....but was really only 35 minutes He Stands free and Clear of all of the Doe.....but still only offers Me a damned Near Head-On Shot... them to Me) Well at 29 Yards...This Buck is bound and determined to make Me work for this....So I let loose ....He takes off....and I feel like I must have Missed Him totally.....! I didn't want to get up too soon just in case They came back again...so I sat there another 25 minute to be sure....well in 36 minutes...I got up...walked to where He was Standing....I can't find any Blood....no Arrow...nothing....well I was giving up and going back to the 4-Wheeler....when I just about Stumbled over this Monster of the Wheat Fields.... I hit Him  just in Front of His Right Scapula (Shoulder Blade)...and the Arrow comes out just behind the Last Rib on the Left Side...and hits Him in the Knee when He jumps from the Impact...When I Field Dressed Him at Camp....He weighed 228 pounds on the Hoof... 7 Massive Points...with a 23 1/2" Spread.....When I examined the Arrow Pass I seen that the Broadhead passed through one Lung....severed an Artery leaving the Heart....and pierced His Liver after leaving the Diaphragm....He didn't run 40 yards...and dropped dead right where I had sen Him disappear....Man was I Souped Up!! I am so happy that I could harvest this Great Beast...and am even more Happy that God was watching Me as I let loose that Arrow....and He made sure that I hit the Mark and there was very little Suffering...I feel so Honored to have been able to be the one to take Home this Awesome Animal...He will be remembered forever in my Heart.......

I want to thank Eddie for the Bamboo that made the Arrow that took this Beast...I cheated and drilled out the Boo and put in an Aluminum Arrow Insert ....so I could use the same dozen Arrows for both Target and Hunting!! I have better Pictures comming....They are on my Buddies Camera....since I have Some-Timer's...and forgot Mine!!! Also just got through Caping Him and putting Him up for a few days in a Cooler.....now that it's 3:45 in the Morning....I think I will take a Shower and go to Sleep!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:27:38 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

Re: Stick And String Makes Backstraps Tonight Baby!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:52:53 am »
I like to be the first to say WELL DONE El D.
Great looking deer.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:09:47 am »
Well done Mike and congrats eh thats a dandy fer sure :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:17 am »
It's six thirty in the morning and I'm just about to head out to my blind,
After reading this story and seeing the pics...I'm Pumped!!!

Congrats on an awesome hunt and an awesome Buck!!!!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline boo

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:53:31 am »
Very very nice, congrats on a fine deer.
Boo

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:03 am »
awesome story Mike
and congrats on a beautiful buck
damn boy you can shoot good too ;)

is that a  "c" arrow
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:13:48 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:53:40 am »
Way to go, Mike!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:17 am »
good times and good food good job. nice horns to for a little bonus.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:33 am »
Well Done for sure. Very nice deer and a good tale. Thanks for letting us in on it.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:14:12 pm »
awesome story Mike
and congrats on a beautiful buck
damn boy you can shoot good too ;)

is that a  "c" arrow

Thanks Tim....Not a "C" Arrow in the terms that You are thinking....it's a Copycat of a  "Cora Knight"  Arrow.... except after I sanded the Nodes all down and added the Eatman Aluminum Arrow Inserts to them...I painted them with Black Lacquer.....and the Crested them with White...look at the Diameter of them....they are almost larger than 3/8"...spined out at 75-80 pounds ...but they fly great through a 65 pound Paddle Bow!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 12:42:30 pm »
Here are the two Pictures I took at the Lease ...with My Phone....because I was too Absent Minded to remember the Video or Digital Camera........... ;D  One Picture is The Head (duh!)....and the other sorta shows where the Arrow came out His Side...came out and Hit Him right in the Knee when He jumped....that why it wasn't a Through and Through Shot

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »
very cool  8)

nice work on the arrow too,it looks comercial thats why i asked.but i should have known better lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:18:26 pm »
The Arrow did a fantastic Job...but I think that next time I am going to put in smaller Inserts...I think that because of the Diameter of the Insert...The Boo cracked from Impact....but then it may have been because the Arrow also hit the Knee Joint uponnexiting...Sure Glad I tried the Boo....but I never did find the Rear of the Arrow....must broke it off in a Crutch of a Mesquite that he ran through..... :P

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:25:56 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »
Really nice deer El! Congrats. ;)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:25 pm »
Way to go Mike - Congradulation's!!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.