Author Topic: Sonoran oak bow  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Sonoran oak bow
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 03:15:49 am »
Also this stuff heat bends like crazy! I had to take a kink out of one tips so I heated up the last eight inches, and as it heated up it just started drooping from only the weight of the tip! I had to bend it quite a few times after that since this stuff doesn't really grow straight and it is by far the easiest wood I have ever bent.
SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:46:48 am »
Nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:35 am »
Nice bow ,tiller looks good.Congrats on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:03:31 am »
WOW U LIVE IN A BEAUTIFUL AREA!!! I NEVER SAW OAK WITH THAT TYPE OF LEAVE LOOKS COOL AND THOSE TREES DO LOOK SCRUBY IS IT HARD TO GET GOOD STAVES AS IT LOOKS VERY TWISTED IN SPOTS..ALTHOUGH U SAY U KINDA MADE UR BOW FAST AND IT HAS ALOT OF CHARACTER IT STILL LOOKS GOOD AND IM SURE FROM FULL DRAW PIC IT SHOOTS GOOD AS WELL GOOD JOB AND HOPEFULLY UL HAVE THE TIME AND MAKE SOME MORE..KEEP IT UP AND KEEP UP THOSE PICS...LOVE THE SOUTH WEST!!!
CHEERS!!!

coyote pup

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 10:02:50 am »
Harder than Hedge???   :o    I want some!

Offline Dano

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15:17 am »
Thanks guys, I am going to make a scouting trip for Mesquite up the Virgin River, I was told there are some big ones along there, thought I might find some oak as well, looks like it grows in the higher elevations.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:58 am »
What a life you have ...from Mission Mtns of the Flathead to the Sonoran Desert. Nice bow and primitive and bookmarked, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 10:29:41 pm »
Yeah I'm lucky to have been able to live in such beautiful country. Thanks to everyone for all the comments. If anyone wants any I might be willing to trade some, only problem is it's hard to find straight stuff and I don't have a whole lot of free time. So let me know, it might take some time though.
SW Utah

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 10:31:11 pm »
Also does anyone have any ideas on how to keep this stuff from checking? I tried everything I know and it's just about impossible. It started checking before I was able to load it into the truck!
SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 11:06:26 pm »
Depends on the time of year, but it's always good to seal right there as you cut it. I'm finding TBIII is a pretty good sealer, two coats and wood ain't going to check.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:15 pm »
I sealed the ends with polyurethene and left the bark on and it checked on the ends and under the bark. I didn't seal it until I got home though but i di go straight there after I cut it. I doubt it was cut more then 30 mins until it was sealed. I'll try bringing some Titebond with me next time though. The only other wood I have ever cut are juniper and mountain maple and I never even seal those.
SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 12:45:37 am »
I take a bottle of glue white with me, it doesn't take long with the heat and lack of moisture we have here. I don't use TB for sealing because I can get other white glues for $8 a gallon.  ;) Split it as quick as you can also.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:59 am »
I'll have to try that, I did split it right away but it still seemed to check everywhere. ??? Maybe if I put it in the basement to dry?
SW Utah