Author Topic: November point challenge?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: November point challenge?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »
WOW :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Wataugan

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »
Alan and Sailordad, Great points.  Bob
Boone, NC - Blue Ridge Mountains

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »
Dang, I'd better get busy. Those are some sweet looking points, guys. I'm pretty partial to Savannah Rivers ,even if Hardaways are my favorites.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 11:12:30 am »
Nice one's Alan and Pete! I gotta get on the stick here myself.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
Here is my sad attempt at a SR. It is rhyolite. My first with both the stone and style. Looks more like a knife blade to me. If nothing else it is very rustic looking. A little dirt on it and some wethering it might look authentic.
TJ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »
looks good to me
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »
TJ, that one actually looks really authentic. Just need to square that base up a little. That old speckled rhyolite is some tough stuff, you did it justice..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 05:24:11 pm »
i used a cobble stone from Texas and it come out pretty good. I think this is  a perdenale?

In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline nugget

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 05:54:23 pm »
Nice one warhawk.
Thanks Steve. It was thicker than I wanted it and it was stalling out everytime I tried to even the base out.  I also took pictures before I finished cause I wanted proof before I busted it.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 07:21:04 pm »
Nice points everyone! TJ, thats good work with that stuff, that is some of my favorite rock.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:31 pm »
Good work guys. I'll go ahead and post my own sorry attempt - and no, I ain't gonna show you the cross section ;D. This is some kind of silicified somethinorother I picked up in the river, closest thing I had to rhyolite or that other stuff but seemed to work (kinda) ::).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:22 pm »
Looks better than mine

Offline cowboy

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »
I don't know TJ, they both look fairly authentic to me though I've never held one - and yours is thinner. I'll most likely heat this up one day and refine it.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:03 am »
They both look like the real deal to me.  I have a few ancient Savannah River points that are so thick it is hard to imagine that they were used for anything but a thrusting spear.

I got a couple of pieces of rock picked out for my attempt. Time wil tell how i do... Muzzleloader starts this weekend too, so I intend to be busy hunting, dragging, or dressing deer.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 10:41:57 am »
Paul, that one looks really good. You got the base perfect, too. That looks like some good rock, there- I bet it would work really good with hardwood billets. Jim, I'm gonna be down there in your neck of the woods next week with the Hawken and flintlock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.