Author Topic: Primitive and traditional hunting?  (Read 11845 times)

Offline jimmy

Primitive and traditional hunting?
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:01:40 am »
I'm not one to draw lines in the sand when it comes to bow hunting. Fred Asbell, for example, uses fiberglass and is probably as good a traditional hunter as anyone. Furthermore, I want to congratulate everyone here who has taken animals with their chosen weapons. However, a lot of what some people are doing in this forum is somewhat contractive to the traditional approach to hunting and pursuing game (feeders, trail cams, elaborate costumes, etc.). This is fine I suppose, but why talk about it on a sight called " Primitive Archer " ? None of these modern methods are necessary for success. I thought guys into this form of hunting understood that. 

coyote pup

Re: Primitive and traditional hunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
This is true. The thing is, there is no hard line that shows how far the "primitive" approach should extend. For example, as primitive hunters we typically drive a vehicle to our favorite hunting spots, we use these computers to talk about primitive archery, we use metal to scrape our bows, and B-50 for bow strings. Since there is no one hard line, everyone just does what they feel like doing however they feel like doing it. Your point is taken though.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:23:40 am »
I don't consider myself a "primitive" hunter...My bows, yes they are all "primitive" but I shoot carbon arrows out of them for accuracy (and because I don't know the first thing about making arrows) with muzzy mx-3 broadheads...I also wear a ghillie suit and have a trail camera....so I guess you could say that Im about half and half...I just don't want to spend the money on a compound or FG bow....maybe just 1/3rd primitive, 1/3 traditional and 1/3 modern... 8) 8) 8) , trail cam's aren't hunting tools though...I consider mine a "scouting" tool

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:27:42 am »
I never said I was a primitive archer,I make, shoot and hunt with all wood bows . :)
to cold even here in TN. for me to go out in a loin cloth. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »
I'm not talking about playing Indian in the woods. I'm just saying that traditional archers and hunters are in a separate class of sorts. I can only dream of being as good a hunter and archer as Howard Hill, and I don't think he ever relied on automation to do his hunting and scouting  for him. I will never be as good, but I can strive to become something different than the modern compound guy with his automatic feeders and electronic eyes watching the woods. I'm not trying to define or debate what primitive is. I just feel, as Jay Massey did, that these techniques make for weaker and less knowledgable hunters.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »
I think we can all appreciate what you're saying jimmy :)

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:33:18 pm »
Partially a result of our society.  Most of the people on here need to spend our days at a job just so we can pay our bills and feed our families.  As a result, time is often the resource that is in shortest supply, thus some of the 'shortcuts' you mentioned.  This enables us to still participate in something we love which otherwise might not be possible or practical.  Don't get me wrong, I would be all for more primitive in my life, but that dang gas company won't take processed sinew on trade so I'm stuck working for the man lol  :D.  

And all that said, I would have a hard time giving up my bandsaw (et al), toilet paper, and probably a host of other things if they were suddenly taken away.
Travis

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:07 pm »
Well most people are  primitive to  various amounts,  I'm  about 1/2  primitive in that so  far  I don't think you  can  beat FG (gasp) for  durability on  bows,  and  I like modern  contraptions like arrow  adapters etc.  for practical  reasons,  but the bow  and tackle I  use are  only  a shadow  away  from what primitive societies used and shooting  form  etc. is  pretty  much  the  same,
if you  try  to go  100% primitive you're  talking about  using primitive glues, tools and the  like  and very few  people actually  go to that  extreme.
  Trail  cams  are fun  but makes me  wonder  if that constitutes fair chase:)

"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »
Jimmy, if it makes you feel better, I don't own a trail camera or a game feeder. I do all of my hunting spot and stock, wood bow, wood arrows, stone points, and usually bare feet, although the cactus are hard on the feet.  I do wish I had a trail cam. Not for scouting, just to see more cool pictures of the lions tigers and bears. OH MY.  ;D Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  I like seeing pictures of animals even if they are not really high quality pictures.

As for posting them on a primitive website, we allow discussion of some pretty bizarre stuff in the Anything Else section. Beside, there isn't much primitive about internet and we are having this conversation on the internet.  :-\
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline jimmy

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
As I said before, I'm not talking about being and living primitive. I work for a living and have a family, and I still somehow manage to shoot deer with my bow without using electronics. Some of you guys just miss the whole point, but thanks for reading anyway. Just think about what I'm saying. Read the forward sections of the traditional bowyers bibles. Become a better hunter, you don't need the gadgets. Over and out.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »
I hear you Jimmy, I also don't use any electronics to find, scout, aid or attract animals, not that I have a problem with it if you do.  And I agree that becoming a better hunter is far better than all the gadgets in the world.  I guess what I was getting at is that part of becoming a better hunter is spending time in the field, the more the better, and that's something that not everyone can always do.
Travis

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 01:03:47 pm »
I guess I have to say that I use my trail cam for "scouting" but that doesn't always aid me...Ive got pictures of a 160 class 5x6 and 5 other bucks on the property and I only wish that meant I got to see them...cuz I haven't seen a buck all season....I guess I just like looking at the pictures more than anything...ive got pictures of deer, turkeys, squirrels, coons, rabbits, badgers, coyotes and acouple red-tailed hawks going after the squirrels...just interesting to see whats going on when you're not around i guess.  But I do agree with you on feeders...you can't bait in Nebraska...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
... that these techniques make for weaker and less knowledgable hunters.

True. But how many people get to hunt how and as much as they want? I hunt from the ground and don't have any gadgets to help me, but I've yet to put a tag on an arrowed deer or turkey.

Truth is, alot of people just don't have the time/energy/ambition to make it even harder. How you hunt is a personal thing, and in the end you just have to do what makes YOU happy. So long as it's legal, there isn't alot to be said. Hey, a wooden bow and a treestand is better than a compound and a lazer range finder in my book.

Iukee

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
My chosen way to hunt is use my selfbow, homemade wooden arrows,quiver. I love to stillhunt, but, where I live now I only have access to very small track of land. There are signs of hogs having been there before however the only feasible way to hunt the area is to bait the hogs in. I don't think I'm taking a cheap shot as It's either that or no hunting at all.   Ron

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 03:17:06 pm »
Pappy ,I bet youd look like the stud horse of the woods in a loin cloth,just judgen from pictures,Dave.
Now is the good old days