Author Topic: From lurker to red oak board groan-along.  (Read 13302 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

From lurker to red oak board groan-along.
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:30 pm »
Hello to everybody.  I've been lurking around here for oh,... several days.  Less than a week.  I've been extremely impressed with the friendly tone of all the debates and comments.  I finally realized that you guys are largely the paradox that describes me:  sensitive artist-redneck.  I'm proud to be in your company.

So.  Rather than have you guys give me a fish, or tell me how to fish, I'm going to let all of you show me how to fish.  Most of you won't realize how helpful you've been, because I'll search out my questions (mostly) rather than ask them, and I'll read your postings on other threads. Thank you all for helping to create this incredible resource.  Hopefully you won't be rolling your eyes at questions that have been answered hundreds of times before.

I'm going to post my planned steps before I take them, and please feel free (I'm begging you) to tell me when I'm about to do something dumb.

Here's my overall plan:  I have a 72" oak plank 1 1/2" wide X 3/4" thick.  The grain looks pretty good, the board is dead straight left-to-right.  I'm aiming for 45-48# @ 28".  I'm going to glue on a 10"riser offset from the center by an inch.  I'll leave the limbs 1 1/2 inches wide until a point 15" from the tips, then a straight taper to 1/2" at the tips.  I'd like to reflex both at the fades and again at the tips with steam.  I'm also planning on backing the bow with brown paper and possibly heat-treating the belly.

Is red oak compatible with everything I'm thinking of doing?

Here's my blank:

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: From lurker to red oak board groan-along.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:16 am »
I'm gonna take Scott's suggestion and move this to "Bows". If later you want it back here we can move it again.
  Welcome to PA. Glad you joined us. Looking forward to your build along and the bow that comes from it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:21:17 am »
As usual I recommend you get started with a bend in the handle style bow because they are a lot easier to tiller and less likely to explode.

Backing red oak with brown paper is of marginal utility.  I managed to break some pretty flimsy kids bows with brown paper as the backing.  Heat treating the belly will just put more pressure on the back.  Reflexing the tips or at the fades is something I'd leave for a shorter bow too.  On top of that it's also a little harder to tiller a reflexed or a reflexed/deflexed bow.  A 10" riser is a little long for my tastes, but then again it's your bow.

You have an exceptional board there, I doubt backing is necessary for a 28" draw and 45 to 50 pounds.

If you really want a riser make sure the bow limbs are full thickness for about half an inch after the fades.  I've had some risers pop off while shooting: I'm surprised it didn't cause the breaking of those bows.  For a bend in the handle bow, 1.5" of width is about my limit of comfort but I have fairly large hands. Then again, Tim Baker, one of the bowmaking gurus has made thousands of red oak bows 72" long and 1.5" wide with bending in the handle.

Don't worry if this bow doesn't have all the elements you wanted: I'm absolutely sure it won't be the only one you make.  Bow making is tremendously addictive.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood French-Canadian
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
well welcome to the clan, show lots of pics with lots of awnsers for us okies.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

radius

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:34:22 pm »
wow a friendly neighbourhood french canadian...je ne sais pas qu'il y a un chose comme ca!

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 01:11:25 pm »
that's horrible radius... but ever so true.  Peut-il exister vraiment?
There is always Hope.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:38:54 pm »
je ne pense pas
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »
I suggest a bend in the handle bow too for your first. You can back with silk or linen because it is your first. That looks like a very well chosen board. Good grain. More on my site. There are buildalongs on my site inclusing one with red oak. You can go 68" long and  13/8 in wide. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 11:27:53 pm »
Thanks to all who replied to my post, I can tell you'll take good care of me.  Thanks Dauntless for the detailed concerns; I have much to consider.  Jawge, bookmarked your site.  That's an amazing reference you've created there!  The rest of you guys:  Focussez-vous!  Besides, Dauntless wasn't being literal with his sign-off, he was being sarcastic!  Totally in character for a French Canadian!  Bwahahaha just kidding Dauntless.   ;)  It's great to see I have a few fellow Canucks here.  Go Habs!

OK, I best be off for some more reading, thinking, and revising before I start hogging lumber tomorrow.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:04:02 am »
Jawge's site is a great place to have bookmarked.  If you can get your hands on the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles too, it would be a good investment.

Remember to go slowly and don't be afraid to post pics of the tiller here.  A lot of guys here have trained their tillering eyes to the point that it might reflect in their kids.

Get the chips flying,
The only Franco-Manitoban making bows

PS.  Vu les réponses de tout le monde sur la page, on devrait peut-être créer un forum en Français?  Une place pour tous les gentils francophones.   :D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:27:39 am »
Thank you, Dauntless and Zen. Zen, do post pics as you go proceed. Plenty of help available on this site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 09:56:01 am »
Make yourself one of these to help you with your tillering. It is a lot easier to hit target weight if you know exactly where you need to remove wood while tillering.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

radius

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 02:47:16 pm »
a french thread?  er , ah...

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »
I think, like stated previously, that backing your board is not absolutely necessary. If you really want to back it, I'd suggest linen cloth. You juste spread some wood glue on the back (enough so there is a small film on the surface) and press your cloth against it. 100% linen is very strong.
Good luck!

À tous les francophones et francophiles de ce monde: vous n'êtes pas seuls. un thread en français serait intéressant ( J'aimerais faire un glossaire des termes traduite: backing, tiller, fadeout et tout le reste)
Quebec, Canada

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 08:10:50 pm »
I was being sarcastic with the French thread idea.  I guess the written word doesn't convey that very well.   :-X

I'll try and stay on topic from now on.  ;D