Author Topic: From lurker to red oak board groan-along.  (Read 13420 times)

radius

Re: From lurker to red oak board groan-along.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:34:16 pm »
no i caught the sarcasm, but i'm west coast:  french pas bon.

radius

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »
mangeur de lard!   what a name

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 10:38:28 pm »
OK, I'm back.  Had to get some stuff, and I had to put on snow tires before I did that, then I found a problem under the car that I thought I should fix first... You get the idea.  The biggest technical problem I've been wrestling with is supporting the bow while I work on it.  I'm in an apartment, I have no railing to clamp anything to, I don't want to be taking oak in and out in the cold humid weather.  I finally decided late yesterday to clamp a sturdy board across the kitchen counter and work on that.  Then my friend Eric volunteered some scrap 2 X 10 in case I needed to build a bench or something.  Thanks Eric!  That's when I thought of spreader bar clamps.  Problem solved.

How can you tell my wife isn't home today?

Anyways, I started roughing out the bow as per the instructions by Sam Harper on poorfolkbows.com.  Thanks Sam!
Thanks to all the excellent advice you guys have been dispensing, I've scaled back my intentions to reflect that I don't have a clue about too many things to screw up that many things at once.   ???  So I've centered the riser (sorry Dauntless, couldn't see shooting this thing without a decent handle), dispensed with the reflex at the fades (really, what was I thinking?), tossed the heat treat idea, and of course the paper backing.  Backing of some sort is still on the table (either silk or linen) as a possibility, and I fantasise about some static reflex at the tips.  We'll see.  Here's the bow as she sits now:

My assistant Delilah is ever-ready to participate in any venison jerky breaks.  Wife still not home.  ;D

My next task while the glue dries is turning the back of my sturdy floor easel into a tillering tree.  Then Eric's tiller diagnosing tool.  Thanks for that Eric!  Brilliant.

Thanks again guys, hopefully I'll be back tomorrow.  If the Mrs. hasn't injured me too badly to work. :P
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:01:30 pm by zenmonkeyman »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gmc

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 11:11:49 pm »
Man this is a great thread, keep going!
Central Kentucky

Innocente

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 01:39:22 am »
she's gonna go BALLISTIC when she sees the wood shavings in the kitchen!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 01:43:11 am »
just blame it all on the dog ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »
Back again.  Thanks gmc, I can use some encouragement.  I was able to clean up before the wife got home, much as I was tempted to blame the dog.  (I'm the man, why should I clean up the kitchen?)  :P  Ultimately I decided that if I overuse the dog excuse, my wife might start to question the origin of certain smells that could otherwise be safely attributed to the hound.

Roughed out the riser now the glue is dry.  Did my best to swoop the riser into the belly so the riser ends could absorb the stresses of the handle trying to bend.  Then I narrowed the handle.  After I did one side and got uneven thickness, I had the brainwave that if I cut troughs with the round side of my rasp, I could tell if the depth was even right across by whether the lines were parallel.  Then I could use the flat side to knock down the remaining peaks.  Definitely helped.

Pleased with myself on that one.  Ok, then when I was pretty much done, I started to examine the discolored line running through the handle area.  It isn't a crack, it just seems to be a plane of hardness.  I decided not to worry about it, but please let me know if I should worry.  Nothing I could do for it either way, I expect.  I have to wonder what scarred the tree like that, though.

I put the "bow" (I'm optimistic) on my easel tree after cutting the nocks, and gave several tentative tugs on the rope.  The right limb had 2 slight hinges, one of which was at the riser.  The left limb was stiffer.  Both limbs had a tendency to hinge at the point where the tapering begins.  No big surprise.

I marked out some smooth curves off the riser to transfer the stresses back to the limbs in a smooth controlled manner.  Then I rasped some more using the faceting method I read somewhere.  (Sorry I don't remember where so I don't know who to thank here.)   

Here's about where I'm at at the moment.  I had to quit here because it was becoming obvious that the cord I was using was having some stretch issues.  I have no way of knowing how far I was flexing the limbs and how far I was stretching the string.  So I have to wait at least until tomorrow when I can get some dacron or something.

I was already starting to develop "the claw" anyways.

I might as well spend the next hour watching the Roughriders slaughter the Alouettes.  (The guy in Regina has to taunt the guy in Montreal even if we're both Manitobans at heart.)

Thanks to all who are following this thread, and especial thanks to all who comment.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

radius

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 08:33:20 pm »
you are definitely on the right track man.   Take a lesson from the other thread:  don't cut your arrow shelf too deep.   Also, with a single block add on like you have, it's muy importante to keep the bending forces AWAY from the lamination.   You know how you often see guys do built up handles made of several strips?  It distributes pressure, and is in fact the way to go.  Look at the bows made my pros and the bows made my novices:  that is a difference which you pretty consistently see. 

Keep up the good work, looking good.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
I'm loving the detail you're putting into this thread.  I'm sure I'm going to learn a thing or two.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 10:40:16 pm »
I agree. You just don't see a bow built in a kitchen very often.

Hedgeapple:
PM Sent
Central Kentucky

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:46 pm »
My afternoon client decided he wouldn't need power in his garage after all, so I came home and continuted with some slow and painful tillering.  I realized after my last session that I wasn't comfortable with any of the tools I have for this task, so I went to leevalley.com and purchased some cabinet scrapers.  But for now, I use what I have.

I've decided to dispense with both backing and reflex.  I'm just too impatient to get this critter to weight and draw.  Anyways, I got a little more agressive today than yesterday with wood removal, and fairly quickly I got 10" of limb travel with the long string.

So I braced for disaster.  First time I braced a bow!  I got a bit excited.  Not as excited as I was buying a spool of string, mind you.  $49!!??  What the hell!?

Looks pretty good I think.  Not perfect, it's a little stiff in the outer third of the left limb, for example, but pretty even over all.  However...

... There is some limb twist.

So now I'm pausing to search on how to deal with this.  I think I know, but I'll read up anyways.  Better safe than pregnant.

...This just in... A new study find that chick flicks suck... Details at 10... Our undercover reporter has discovered the shocking truth:  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't a bear... He was bald as a cue ball though...

Innocente

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 10:12:21 pm »
this is your first bow? you are kicking ass man.  keep it up. that propellor twist is a pain in the ass.  i'd tell you how to fix it, but i have to get on the net and re-research it every time it happens to me all over again.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »
propellar twist, especially if the bow looses the twist when unstrung, is usually caused from the bow limb being thicker on one side of the limb than the other.  you can fix it by removing wood from the thicker side.  Just remove a little wood at a time and exercise the limbs and check often.  Always make sure to check your thickness from both sides of the limb and this won't happen as often.  Hope this helps!  -josh

ps.  good work so far, just take your time with it and exercise those limbs in between scraping sessions real good to reveal the true tiller as you go.  I think you will end up with a nice one there! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 11:33:56 pm »
I'd round the corner on the back before pulling it any more.  There's a lot of stress on the corners of flat backs and any splinters that can pop up will.

This is looking pretty stellar for a bow, regardless that it's your first.  You're absolutely right about that left limb needing a couple scrapes.

With those Lee valley cabinet scrapers (with a nice aggressive burr), you'll be breezing through tillering.

Ps.  I lost my faith in the Bombers years ago.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

radius

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:36 pm »
dude, that's a great first bow, or tenth!  to hell with the carpet!