Author Topic: Houston Tx  (Read 73721 times)

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
RE
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:24 pm »
Micheal, there's a shoot every month with the archery club that i'm a member in. Mostly compound shooters but there's several of us trad shooters that regularly attend. Check out the Brazos County Archery Clubs web site for more info and shoot dates.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline peterdragon

Re: Houston Tx
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »
Hey guys, I know its been awhile for this thread, but im in the Spring Branch Houston area. Im looking to see if I can swap some labor for some knowlage in regards to bow making. Im also wondering if anyone may know where a fellow could find some stands of cane around here. I was thinking maybe along buffalo bayou. What I can offer is my skills as a painter and remodeled guy. I can do it all except major electrical and plumbing. Well, have a dry weekend fellow Houstonians.

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »
Hey everybody. Been off here a while. Work has been busy. Home builders are throwing houses up as fast as they can, weather permitting, and as such, I have been running my butt off fixing fences for them. LOL! Who's all ready for hunting season? If I get to bowhunt this year, it will be with my Bear Grizzly, but the way practice time has lined up (or not, actually), I may only end up rifle hunting. Not quite sure yet. How's things been for everybody else?

Ink, I almost came up to ya'll's shoot last Sunday, but as people I knew down here kept dropping out of going, I decided I wasn't interested in driving up in my Suburban by myself. Then I found out that another guy and his wife actually ended up going. :/ Oh well. When does your club start their 3D shoots up again?

peterdragon, I am up by Magnolia, and see bamboo stands on the sides of several roads up here. I don't know the specifics on cutting off the side of the road, but I would think it wouldn't be that big of a deal to harvest some of the smaller stalks for arrows. I have been considering the same thing. I think it would be nice to have bamboo shafts to shoot out of my selfbow when (if?) I ever get it finished.

Michael
Michael Scott

After 10+ years shooting traditional archery, I am now interested in progressing farther back in time to primitive archery.

Offline peterdragon

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »
I may have to cruise those roads and see what I can find. I have been working in spring and porter allot and im in the process of tree larceny at a few of the construction sites. Im just trying to ID a few so I dont end up making tallow tree bows. Im thinking I may have a maple sapling or three and a ton of white oak. Ill keep yall posted on what I grab.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
re
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2014, 09:31:07 am »
Peterdragon, if you can find a way to make it to college station one of these days, i can put a decent osage stave in your hands. And maybe a white wood stave as well to get you started in bow building. Let me know if your interested in coming up.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 11:25:09 pm »
Hey Peterdragon,
I'm in Houston and I could help you identify the staves we have around here.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline peterdragon

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:44 am »
Sorry for not getting back to you guys. Been busy. Switching jobs, Girlfriend just bought a house and to top it all off I dropped my allegedly smart phone off a 150' scaffold. Im moving up to spring mid November, and im abliged to do thanks giving with my girls family. Ill definitely. Be intouch here soon.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
re
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2014, 09:02:46 pm »
For anyone interested in the area, There is a get together happening on november 7-9th about 1.5 hours from houston. Should be a good time, check it out in the events section. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48564.0.html

Offline peterdragon

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2014, 10:45:13 pm »
Sorry for not getting back to you guys. Been busy. Switching jobs, Girlfriend just bought a house and to top it all off I dropped my allegedly smart phone off a 150' scaffold. Im moving up to spring mid November, and im abliged to do thanks giving with my girls family. Ill definitely. Be intouch here soon.

That would be a huge help. So far I can spot sassofrass and what I think is some type of maple and oak trees. Was thinking I would just have at one and see how it go's.