Author Topic: The Eastern Composite Bow; Grandfather of the Compound.  (Read 22455 times)

Offline Bushman452

The Eastern Composite Bow; Grandfather of the Compound.
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:45:43 am »
Arrow Affliction is a cool show but it's all about a punk redneck with a compound bow but he isn't the all round master I believe Lajos Kassai is the greastest archer of our time and he can totally take that compound junkie to school. Remember if it wasn't for the Huns there wouldn't be a compound.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: The Eastern Composite Bow; Grandfather of the Compound.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:47 am »
I don't see the connection between asian bows and the compound (?)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:52:21 pm »
Lajos Kassai,the greatest archer of our time?While i dont purpose to take away from the mans skill as an archer,i would think that is a very bold statement,considering the quality of archers we have in our time.And what exactly is,"Our time"?
Another little tidbit of Historical fact,that is widely unknown.While most attribute the Modern compound as we know it to Mr Allen,it was actually INVENTED by another.While Allen,did in fact have the first Patent on the Modern compound,it was Dick Hamilton who was credited as drawing up the first set of known plans for the "Compound"as we know it today.Dick never shot one though as he is a die hard traditionalist who never strayed from his,trusty hill style bows,even when the rage was the recurve.Dick is more known for his Hunting skills and association with Jay Massey,who together developed the Moosejohn outfitter buisness,that cateres to Traditional bowhunters.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »
Actualy, the Huns didn't shoot anything close to a compound. They shot a siyah-type composite recurve with an assymetrical, shorter lower limb. The Huns didn't invent the composite bow. The composite bow most likely did develop on the steppes of Asia. But long before the Huns and Mongols, it was brought to the Middle East by Indo-Aryan and Semitic tribes. It's what gave the Hyksos---probably proto-Hebrews---the ability to conquer Egypt. That, and the chariot. The chariot preceded horse riders as the platform for the composite bow. Being that the Semites and Indo-Aryans who came out of Asia were pastoralists, the composite bow was probably a logical step on the steppes where bow wood was almost non-existant and if you couldn't defend your flocks, you didn't survive. After the Hyksos, then the composite bow spread across the Middle East. The Hyksos came into Egypt around 1620 BC; a long, long time before the Huns showed up. The only resource on the steppes is grass and much of it only suitable for pastoralism. Hence, the composite bow is at least as old as pastoralism as practiced on the steppes.
Living a dream...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:13:31 pm »
Well, some say the Penobscot bow might be 'something like a forefather' to the compound, but I can't really see the connection to the Huns' bow either. And the Hornbow is also not the Huns' invention; at the times of the Hunnic empire middle of the first Millennium, the hornbow was an ancient weapon already!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:10:41 pm »
Frankly, I think the modern recurve, and the target self-recurve before, were more fore runners for the compound than any historical piece. Mostly because of the reasons behind their developement: war/hunting vs. technical precision and higher scores.

But I do understand your feelings about alot of shooters on televions and what not. Big egos for little reason.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »
well arrow affliction is a great show, and i dont care if it is with a compound bow or stick bow you gota say he has some great tallent. i wish i could shoot that good. as far as history goes dunno. but he is a great shot.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
well arrow affliction is a great show, and i dont care if it is with a compound bow or stick bow you gota say he has some great tallent. i wish i could shoot that good. as far as history goes dunno. but he is a great shot.

What sort of shooting does he do? I've never seen the show, and only have 1 1/2 network television channels ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:42 pm »
alor of ariel shots,
hundreds of arrows this guy shoots,ive seen hime do trick shots
like richochet shots,multiple arrows at once and hitting multiple targets etc etc

he truly is a great shot,just needs to tone down the hardcore heavymetal theme music that he uses.
notthat i dont like hard/heavy rock(love it)just dont like it with my hunting
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:39:53 pm »
My favorite episode of his is when they went bullfrog hunting and he shot the snapping turtle!! CAN'T WAIT TO DO THAT THIS SUMMER!  But I wouldn't say that there would be one traditional/primitive design that led to the compound.... I just call it unnecessary evolution  ;D

-Ky
GBR!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:52:56 pm »
here  the evolution of the compund bow  ;D

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:38:32 am »
the one on the far right looks like a cross between a penobscott and a compound, how weird...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:46:13 am »
Really don't like the way any of them looks...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:47:16 am »
At least those have limbs.  My friend just bought a new compound and the limbs were about 6" long.  I'm pretty sure at this point they are only there to give the pulleys a place to rest. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 12:52:05 pm »
alor of ariel shots,
hundreds of arrows this guy shoots,ive seen hime do trick shots
like richochet shots,multiple arrows at once and hitting multiple targets etc etc

he truly is a great shot,just needs to tone down the hardcore heavymetal theme music that he uses.
notthat i dont like hard/heavy rock(love it)just dont like it with my hunting

Hmmm... what sort of targets for the arial/multiple shots?