Author Topic: Informal Survey  (Read 30220 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

Re: Informal Survey
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »
On another forum. I make mountain and native american stuff. I was, well I guess, too primitive for them.
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »
Somehow I found it searching the web.  Glad I did to, because I really needed some help on my bowmaking skills.  What a relief to find such nice people wanting to help you anyway they can. Thanks Guys,

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline riarcher

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »
Years ago shortly after the "beginning" it was PMed to me from a couple on another board that is no more.
Lost my post count" because I have no idea who my provider (address) was or what the pass word was.
Was easier just to re-register.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:18:45 pm by riarcher »
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline wildman

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:08 pm »
followed the great burning bow in the sky then used the light to read the mag.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 10:40:12 am »
i dont really remember, but im pretty sure someone on slinging.org told me bout it.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »
Found out about community from a web video on making your own bow.  Found the video from a google search.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 01:05:13 pm »
Not sure when PA magazine started but I remember first hearing about it from a guy at arrowhead archery in Green Bay WI. He sold me my first and only store bought longbow. A used timberline safari. He showed me how to shoot it and told me about instinctive shooting. After talking about doing stuff the old way for a while he mentioned that if I wanted to learn more there was a great new magazine called Primitive archer.  Im pretty sure that was a bit more than 11 years ago. I stumbled onto the website much later. I was building a BBI and saw that one had won bow of the month. I went online and found the message board through that. I sent in requests to become a member for over a month with no reply and then I was about to give up on it when I got in. Still not sure what that was all about ??? :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:54 pm »
I went online and found the message board through that. I sent in requests to become a member for over a month with no reply and then I was about to give up on it when I got in. Still not sure what that was all about ??? :)
  Jesse we had to do a double super extra FBI background check on you...  >:D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline John K

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 01:31:27 pm »
LoL ! Marie
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline upthecreek

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 02:26:40 pm »
Picked up the my first magazines from the newstand. Finally subscribed three or four years ago. Bow of the month piqued my interest so I started viewing this site daily last January. Great mag and great site. Trying to build bows a couple years and enjoy reading others experiences. If was more computer literate I would try to post with pictures as I could use some specific advise. I have all four volumes of Bowyers Bible, Hunting the Osage Bow, and Cherokee Bows but still struggle. Biggest problem is I have never had my hands on a self-bow nor do I personally know anyone who uses or builds. Started hunting in 1957 and bow hunting in 1965 but "primitive is all new" can you believe that. I was old enough to know better.
Mike

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
a year & a half ago, i decided that string guns were getting too complicated & i felt like doing things more primitive. i tried for a month or so to find an affordable longbow that felt good at my 30" draw. seemed like everything available locally stacked at 28". i've been an AT member since '05, so i started hanging around the traditional forum there & met Kegan, who got me started building my own & also suggested this site. that was 20+ bows ago! now i'm a subscriber to the mag & i spend way too much time here- according to my lovely wife, that is. you people have helped me convert a passing interest in longbows into a full blown obsession with shaping, shaving, and all around torturing wood.

thank you!
Rob

Offline red pony

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 06:17:06 pm »
Found the site though Traditional bow hunter magazine and think it's just great !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
I went online and found the message board through that. I sent in requests to become a member for over a month with no reply and then I was about to give up on it when I got in. Still not sure what that was all about ??? :)
  Jesse we had to do a double super extra FBI background check on you...  >:D

Most likely due to your close association with Yoopers :o ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

bowkee

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 03:14:37 am »
I discovered this great site by typing primitive. Ive got to show my bows and enjoy the learning.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:09 am »
When I first got into bow making, I naturally looked for books, magazines, and websites associated with primitive archery. I found Primitive Archer magazine at our local bookstore, then assumed (and assumed correctly) "there must be a website". And thus, here I am. At the same time, after spending some time as a member of the "Planet", I discovered some of the same friendly folks there are also here, so I joined.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery