Author Topic: 250 pounder attempt  (Read 68675 times)

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
Re: 250 pounder attempt
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:29 pm »
So far none have broken on this project. There are 3 more stave's set aside for this. 
  If I put the tips down on the floor with the belly side down and backside upward, measuring from dead center from the floor to the back of the bamboo it is 3" right on the nose after the bow has been unstrung for over 3 hours. I didn't measure it when it came right off of the tillering tree. Its actually not a tillering tree as most folks would think. its a 11 foot tall wood monstrosity with a thick piece of wood that reaches up 11 feet. Its got a manual boat crank set at the far end. It will soon be replaced with an electric winch good for 440 pounds and an electric switch instead of a hand crank.
 Ryan is a smart young man and we have talked about safety and limitations more than once. He has indicated that he knows it is not prudent to push past limits that are unreasonable and unsafe. I have outright told him it is not worth a lifelong injury and he has agreed.  . We both believe that if this is done properly he will be able to achieve something. What exactly that achievement will be we do not know. Its OK if he cannot get past his limits. Thats why we are starting on a smaller bow of 130 pounds to 142. 130 is actually a BIG bow and even if he never gets past that bow he did really good. Heck I cant even pull 75 pounds comfortably.  I would have to say he has done a tremendous job in listening to Steve and a few others about technique as well as learning from some other You tube video's.  Ryan ( I know you are listening ole man) However, he is willing to see what he can do in a safe manner and has assured me that he will practice safety as well as apply himself. 
   Here is a list of reasons to build this bow. I am sure someone , somewhere has done this before and I am not the first.
1 to learn what the wood does when it is seriously stressed out like that
  (The info could be valuable for others wanting to build them as well as for myself)
2 Just plain curiosity
3. I think, I know I can do this
4 why does a man climb a mountain?  because it is there
5 just for fun
6 I am Irish and Steve is English.
7 I am near 50 years old

Yewboy

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2010, 06:35:14 am »
So far none have broken on this project. There are 3 more stave's set aside for this. 
  If I put the tips down on the floor with the belly side down and backside upward, measuring from dead center from the floor to the back of the bamboo it is 3" right on the nose after the bow has been unstrung for over 3 hours. I didn't measure it when it came right off of the tillering tree. Its actually not a tillering tree as most folks would think. its a 11 foot tall wood monstrosity with a thick piece of wood that reaches up 11 feet. Its got a manual boat crank set at the far end. It will soon be replaced with an electric winch good for 440 pounds and an electric switch instead of a hand crank.
 Ryan is a smart young man and we have talked about safety and limitations more than once. He has indicated that he knows it is not prudent to push past limits that are unreasonable and unsafe. I have outright told him it is not worth a lifelong injury and he has agreed.  . We both believe that if this is done properly he will be able to achieve something. What exactly that achievement will be we do not know. Its OK if he cannot get past his limits. Thats why we are starting on a smaller bow of 130 pounds to 142. 130 is actually a BIG bow and even if he never gets past that bow he did really good. Heck I cant even pull 75 pounds comfortably.  I would have to say he has done a tremendous job in listening to Steve and a few others about technique as well as learning from some other You tube video's.  Ryan ( I know you are listening ole man) However, he is willing to see what he can do in a safe manner and has assured me that he will practice safety as well as apply himself. 
   Here is a list of reasons to build this bow. I am sure someone , somewhere has done this before and I am not the first.
  (The info could be valuable for others wanting to build them as well as for myself)
2 Just plain curiosity
5 just for fun
7 I am near 50 years old

All good valid reasons, However I'm not sure what you mean by reason 6.
Cheers
Steve

Offline markinengland

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:39 am »
Rudderbows,

If you're English what on earth are doing over there on the wrong side of the pond with all those strange Americans? ;>)

What you say about the drop in poundage on being worked is interesting. It does apply to lower weight bows and it is to be expected that the percentage may be similar in a heavier bow but the actual drop in pounds is big because it is proportional to a higher draw weight. If the effect is greater on heavier bows they could almost be seen as usefull for one battle or short period of use only and need replacing very quickly once"muzzle velocity" and distance achievable dropped off. I wonder if the large numbers of spare bows taken on campaign during the age of the warbow was due to bows becoming "tired" and not reaching the distance rather than breakage as generally assumed?

Mark in England
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:52:07 am by markinengland »

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:50 pm »
 Steve,
 Reason number 6 is actually just a little levity there, a mild joke and means nothing. meant with good intention I assure you.

2 Just plain curiosity
5 just for fun
7 I am near 50 years old

All good valid reasons, However I'm not sure what you mean by reason 6.
Cheers
Steve

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »
Rudderbows ,

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Craig.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:43 pm »
Well guys I'm not home for more than 5 minutes and I've already finished up a bow.  :D Now don't be haters about me guessing the weight. Its really hard for me to measure by myself but it was for sure over 100#@30". I'll try and make a shooting video later this weekend if the snow melts or I can find somewhere else to shoot. Read the description too cuz there's more information in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGH2rrGMzqM

Offline Ian.

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2010, 04:38:26 pm »
Nice shape to the bow what are the dimensions, it does look rather flat.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline RyanY

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
Thanks. It is 76" long. 1.5" from center to mid limb then it tapers to 1/2" nocks. Back to belly it's 1" at center and about 1/2" at the tips. I tried to crown the back and keep the belly fairly flat to balance out the forces. Cherry isn't the best belly wood for a heavy weight bow like this but its standing up pretty good so far.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »
Ryoon,

I think you may be overestimating the strength of that bow, can you put it on some scales at full draw and show a photo.

Craig

Offline adb

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »
Well guys I'm not home for more than 5 minutes and I've already finished up a bow.  :D Now don't be haters about me guessing the weight. Its really hard for me to measure by myself but it was for sure over 100#@30". I'll try and make a shooting video later this weekend if the snow melts or I can find somewhere else to shoot. Read the description too cuz there's more information in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGH2rrGMzqM
Ryan,
I watched your youtube video... but, I'm confused. You say the bow that you've made in your latest video is 110#@32", and you can draw it all the way back (on your knees, no less). The bow that Jim sent you is also 110#@28", or probably about 125#@32". So, why can't you draw Jim's bow past 26"???  The only logical explanation I can think of is that your bow is considerably less than 110#.
Now don't get me wrong, you're drawing your bow well out to 32", and that's good. I'd advise you to practice while standing, however. Take your bow out, and practice with it... it looks like a good place to start, but stop fooling yourself that it's 110#. Keep going, work up slowly, and you'll be OK.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »
Well I don't have a picture for you but I just measured the bow again and it was definitely at 110#@32". Here's my setup. I have a tillering stick on a bathroom scale. I put the bow on the stick and pull the string down to 32". The only explanation I can think of is the mechanics of the draw. I'm not trying to win any contests here. I do understand what you're saying though. It looks and feels easy to me too.  :-\

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2010, 04:20:33 am »

if you measure the draw weight of both bows at a range of draw lengths and plot a graph of the results this should show what the difference between your two bows are

e.g. here is a graph I produced of my bow

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2010, 08:43:15 am »
Ryoon,

I just measured the bow again and it was definitely at 110#@32". Here's my setup. I have a tillering stick on a bathroom scale. I put the bow on the stick and pull the string down to 32"

That method should get you in the region, but as you say the draw looks far too easy. Don't you know any other archers or archery clubs in your area or possibly an angler that would have a suitable scale?

If the bow is 110 lb I congratulate you on achieving that draw weight so quickly.

Craig.

Yewboy

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:09 am »
Ryoon,
My 1st thought when I saw the bow was that it looked more like a flat bow than a longbow, however your dimensions say otherwise, I must need glasses ;D, The next thing that occured to me was the length of the bow and that it is very short to go to 32", now in a flatter bow design this could work but not really in a deep D section, however I have seen some shorter bows drawn to 32" even though they are a deep D section so it is possible, Anyway keep at it and Im sure you will get up to warbow weights in the end.
One thing to be aware of is that not all bows will draw the same as profile makes a huge difference even if they weigh the same.
e.g., My every day shooting bow is 120lb@32" and I can shoot that all day with now problem, however I have a competition bow that weighs only 118lb that I can only draw to 30" and even then I may only get 2 arrows out of it before I cannot draw it any more.
So don't get hung up on draw weights they mean really very little in regards the power of the bow.
Oh and by the way....110lb is not "EASY"
Cheers
Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2010, 09:36:51 am »
Ryan
I've made many backed Cherry bows and from the looks of yours I would say that your scale is way off.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com