Author Topic: trad versus primitive  (Read 29913 times)

Offline woodstick

Re: trad versus primitive
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
i got selfbows and glass bows i like em both. center shot is a plus, also glass is a plus. bit i like my sticks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:25:58 am »
I shoot selfbows but like them all,I do think the glass bows,at least most of them are a little more forgiving and a little easier to tune to the arrow.Hawk I have seen more selfbows broke or excessive set put in them from stringing than any other reason,that is why unless someone is really aware of what they are doing to the limb when stringing I always suggest using a stringer.Most don't like them,to slow but it will help keep the bow in better shape.I kick string most of my bows but on the heaver ones I use a stringer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »
I kick string most of my bows but on the heaver ones I use a stringer. :)
   Pappy

what is kick stringing, Pappy?   ???  -josh
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:51:46 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:44 pm »
Well I like the self bows best just because and will continue hunting with them exclusively, but it was fun having a very good shooting session just for a confidence builder. Any  way have been shooting the self bows well the last couple of days by drilling on form, follow thru, and release. A poor day of shooting still beats a good day of working.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:19:36 am »
Josh ,it is setting the tip of the bow in between the sole of your shoe ,then pull on the handle
and push the top limb while pulling on the bottom and slide the string up and on.Some may call it push/pull.A lot of people do it that way and it works you just have to be aware of what you are
doing to the top or bottom limb,I have seen a lot of folks over stress one while the other not bending just to get the string on.Sorry Little John not trying to hijack your thread. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
cool thanks Pappy just never heard it called that before ...and sorry Little John not trying to hijack either!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »
Primitive is Traditional init?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »

:-X
   I am not allowed to comment on this or any other Controversial Subject anymore..I must be a Bad Boy..................... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:56:21 am »

:-X
   I am not allowed to comment on this or any other Controversial Subject anymore..I must be a Bad Boy..................... :'(

huh  ???
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:37 am »
 ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 10:51:50 am »
Here's my criteria for judging a bow be it traditional or primitive, based off how it shoots, feels in the hand, looks, and works:

1.) Me like!

2.) Ugh, me no like!

;D i have six bows, 2 of which are wooden and the other four are glass. i have only ever shot two of the glass bows, and only like one of them. one of the wood bows is a really poorly made elb i got as my first wood bow several years ago, and i prolly shot that thing more than anything els i own. the other is that awsome little snake bow made by woodstick, which i have also shot ALOT. anyway of the six, i like that little osage snake, and my pearson hunter recurve the best.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
I don't think this conversation is as much about material as it is "traditional bow" style handles. Handles that can be duplicated on most bows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
I don't think this conversation is as much about material as it is "traditional bow" style handles. Handles that can be duplicated on most bows.

Pretty much :D. I think the other thread did a good job of concluding fiberglass only adds a little "knock about" durability, like weather or really long bracing.

Traxx- yes, primitive is a type of traditional, but traditional doesn't always mean primitive.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »
Actually,
The word Traditional,is not traditional,in the grand scheem of things.It is a relatively new term,that only came into use,after the  invent of the compound bow.I personally know people,who remember the use of FG as backing and in laminate construction,as being a "New Fangled" and modern tech invention,when it came to bowyer use.So,going off of the Traditional definition of the word,id say the "Primitive" bow would stand as the Traditional bow,as it has been used far longer than all the other Neo traditional styled bows that people referr to as traditional nowdays.Also,ive seen a few "Traditional" bows that were way more "Primitive" in their construction than many "Primitive" bows i have handled. ;D
That clear things up any?LOLOLOLOLOL

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »
Once again we are thinking material. I think traditional is style not material. Things like longbow, recurve, flatbow, etc. that were traditional styles made and shot for thousands of years.  Thus a primitive bow can be traditional, but a traditional isn't necessarily primitive.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah