Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4703398 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #10035 on: November 25, 2013, 06:08:27 am »
Glad you came hu Jon. ;) :) :) Good weekend,got through the funeral Saturday and had some time in the shop and woods.The family is doing good and I feel sure will get better with time. Not many came by this weekend ,it was really cold for us so I guess that kept them in.  :o ??? Didn't get much done on Rocky's bow but did get some straighting and reflexing work done on Jon's Osage and Chuck's Mullberry,I think they are both ready to tiller.Also got some more Walnut stain made up and some broad heads sharpened. Jon topped it off with an 8 point Sunday morning with his selfbow.First Traditional kill for him.Nice Job Jon. A few pictures of the fun.  ;) :) GregB back at his knife work,some very nice blades. Walnut stain in the works,just boiling it down to thicken it up a bit. :) Sally is really growing and fitting right in. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:22:26 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10036 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:06 am »
Sharping up some broad heads. Doing some straighting on Jon's Osage,nasty piece of wood. ??? ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10037 on: November 25, 2013, 06:17:36 am »
Chuck with some cow horn tip over lays ready for his Mullberry. One of Dan's new knifes,he is making some nice ones. Woody and GregB just shooting the bull. Me doing some straightening on Chuck's Mullberry stave. Dan has also got into arrow making,these are his latest.  ;) :) Jon's Osage off the form.Looking much better. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:24:07 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10038 on: November 25, 2013, 06:21:25 am »
Jon's off the form and rawhide backed,ready to tiller. Chuck's off the form and also looking good,ready for tips and tillering.They should get these shooting this coming weekend. ;) :) It is amazing what a little heat will do to an ugly piece of wood. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10039 on: November 25, 2013, 06:25:48 am »
An last but not least,Jon made my day and I am sure his Sunday morning with this nice 8 point,he has been trying hard the last few years to get a deer with Traditional equipment,this was the year,Osage selfbow and Cain,hard to beat that and especially for you first. :)  Congrats Jon. ;) :) Hope yall had a good one also. :) :)Hope thing will get back to normal around the farm. ;) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlennM

« Reply #10040 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:02 am »
Way to go Jon.  Pappy, Davey is going to give you a call this morning.  Haven't been able to get a hold of Chuckie.  I think he crawled in a cave some where, but if there is food he'll be there.  It was cold up our way this weekend.  We had the first measureable snow and a dusting of snow.  I saw a few deer on Saturday, but all out of range.  Have a great THanksgiving everyone.

Glenn

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10041 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:15 am »
Nice deer Jon!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10042 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:02 am »
Congrats Jon!
Nice Buck!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Marks

« Reply #10043 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:08 am »
Marks,we don't talk about it much because some people get the wrong idea and so it is just among our club, [ don't want to get a your are right or you are wrong thing started]  :) :) :)TwinOaks has a  White tail grand slam [we call it]
we are not trophy hunters so what we did was made a board and every deer that is killed [bow]your name goes on the board in the proper place under doe/spike/3/4/5/6/7/8plus.When you fill in all the slots you get the pot,the club puts in $100.00 a year and this one has been going on for 9 years,all I need is a 7 to fill the slots and have needed it for 4 years now. The last one took 10 years  to finish and I won it, it took me 4 years to kill a 6 point. :) Hope this don't get any bad press or controversy started ,it is just something we do in the club.  :) :) Hope that clears up the 7 point thing. :) Friday and I am so glad .been a long and sad week. Headed to the cabin today and then got a funeral tomorrow evening.Hope to get some shop time in today,it is trying to rain here and then is supposed to turn really cold so with the rain hunting may be out for me. That's OK need some time in the shop anyway. Hope yall have a good one. See ya Monday.
 Life is Good.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy

Thanks for the explanation. I overlooked it when hearing it the first time or 2 but I've heard it mentioned several more times and curiosity was getting the best of me. What's the point of hunting if you can't have a little fun and competition with your buddies? Good luck with it.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #10044 on: November 25, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
I woke up and went down stairs and Pappy said, "It's a tad cold outside."  16 degree's was a touch chilly. 

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Thanks Pappy for talking me into going out.   
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10045 on: November 25, 2013, 04:06:41 pm »
Congratulations Jon. Well done!!!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #10046 on: November 25, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »
congrats on the buck Jon.that is a good one brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #10047 on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »
Way to go Jon, Congrats. got that monkey off you back now its all down hill, buddy. BDan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #10048 on: November 25, 2013, 11:45:40 pm »
     very cool john, nice dear

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10049 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:46 am »
Great evening yesterday,we had weather we usually don't have in Tennessee this time of year,I went to the stand,32 degrees and snowing,very cool to hunt in
no pun intended,then it turned to sleet,I thought about getting out but decided to stick it out.About 3pm a doe came running in and right behind her was a nice 8 point,no shot but cool to see at about 25 yards.Then 40 minutes later 4 more doe's came out of a thicket headed for a cedar thicket across the trail ,still no shot at 20 or so yards ,15 minutes late 4 more doe came out header for the cedars,no shot 40 or so yards,guess they know how to stay dry in the cedars. No shots but what a great afternoon,I was in a big cedar and snug as a bug in a rug.  ;) :) Think I will go back to the same spot this evening if the rain stops.Snow/sleet is fine but can't take the rain. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good