Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4708392 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Life is good
« Reply #11760 on: January 12, 2015, 07:35:04 pm »
Looks like a fun weekend, a little chilly for me, tho. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11761 on: January 13, 2015, 04:40:41 am »
As always Pappy - looks like fun. Did My heart good to see the Detroit Tiger ball cap flying at Twin Oaks !!!!!!!!!  :laugh: Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11762 on: January 13, 2015, 10:48:08 pm »
Come on down to Lakeland, Bob. It's the Spring Training city for Detroit, and one of the oldest partnerships in Major League Baseball, we like the Tigers, here. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11763 on: January 14, 2015, 04:48:30 am »
Eddie - Many years ago, My Grandfather & Grandmother always came down for Spring Training. He's the one that infected Me with the Baseball fever at a very Young age.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #11764 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:04 am »
Nice hooks on ur yew bow pappy....wills new bbo looks sharp :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11765 on: January 14, 2015, 11:19:55 am »
Thanks , Chris, Ya Will's turned out really nice and I can't wait to get mine all finished up, I planned on that last weekend but it was just to cold and damp to work on it out side and that is the only place I have to do it, maybe this weekend I can get some sealer on it and the grip work done. ;)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11766 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:25 pm »
Pappy heres a few all fleched , bucked and grained , now brained and froze in.1 degrees this morning, going to leave a couple more days and then start sewing and softing, hope they come out nice and soft and ready for some smoke. Maybe extra cold weather is a good thing :o :( ;D Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11767 on: January 15, 2015, 04:45:45 am »
Never tried freezing them that way, I always rolled them up tight and put them in a bag to keep the moisture in until I start stretching, may give that way a try, only problem it don't get that cold here very often, man it looks cold there. :) question for you Bob ,what do you mean by Bucking and sewing :-\ :) ? the other terms I understand. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11768 on: January 15, 2015, 08:53:40 am »
Pappy, I wet scrape on a beam, so to help in this process we soak hides in lye (wood ashes and water,or Koh, a type of lye. The hair will slip with just plain water but bucking swells the grain layer and for easier removeing and also removes some of the mucus. This supposedly allows your brains to pentrate easier. After braining we ring and start hand stretching, before it gets to dry I start sewing up the holes, Arrows seem to make big holes but worse is most hunters use there knives to much when skinning  :( instead of using your hands and pulling, no scores no cuts. I got a lot of my hides from processsers so have little control on how they are skinned or taken care of. Freezeing the brains in start contracting and expanding those inner fibers kinda the same as hand stretching with out the labor ;D ;D We got a good cold snap going so will see how this works. 5 deg this morning. Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11769 on: January 15, 2015, 09:49:54 am »
Thanks, I guess that is why I didn't know the term, I dry scrap with the hide racked up, I do flesh/membrane it on a fleshing pole while wet. When I am finished it is stiff rawhide until I put it in the brain slosh. Just goes to show lots of ways to skin and tan a cat. ;) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11770 on: January 16, 2015, 05:37:04 am »
Friday and I am off Monday [MLK day]  ;) :) :) [heck ya I will take it] so a long weekend for me. Got a club meeting at noon tomorrow, it should be a good one ,dead line for dues/Member of the year and 2 Sportsman license to be voted on and given out to some lucky members. Also we will vote on any new members, I think we have 2 in line,this is one of the biggest meetings we have each year. We also are having our annual Squirrel hunt, 5 points for head shot/3 points for body shot/2 if using a shot gun and 10 any hit with a bow, One with the most points Sunday at noon wins it all, most use 22's and this is always a lot of fun so looking forward to that. :) Not sure what I will hunt with but thinking on my lever action Marlin, maybe a bow depending on the weather, the Squirrel's are really on the move if the weather is cold and windy this time of year and really skittish ,no matter it will be fun to just wander around in the woods. ;) Hope yall have a good one also, pictures Tuesday. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11771 on: January 16, 2015, 07:27:32 am »
Sounds like a real busy weekend, and lots of fun too.  Looking forward to the pictures Tuesday.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11772 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:19 am »
Great long weekend, good  Club meeting/2 new members that I think yall will like/good hunt/ some working the shop and fun around the fire. :) BigA won the squirrel hunt with 57 points, we had 39 squirrels killed by the group so some good chow in the near future. :) Here are some pictures of the fun. GregB getting zeroed in, I think he miss a bunch so maybe he needs us to help next time he works on his 22 . ??? :-\ :-\ >:D My Yew developed a major problem as you can see. :-\ Not sure what happened but it was pretty exciting that's for sure. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11773 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:26 am »
Repairing and old rifle of mine, Marlin 22 lever action.  :) Sweet little rifle.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11774 on: January 20, 2015, 06:36:45 am »
Supper, Deer shoulders  and fun around the fire. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good