Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4651328 times)

Offline Chief RID

Re: Life is good
« Reply #13575 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:53 am »
Can't wait to see that new form at work. Thanks so much Pappy for sharing your weekend at TO.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13576 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:23 am »
You are welcome Chief. :) Brian just let me know the dates to be sure I am going to be there, I should be and that would be great. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #13577 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:04 am »
I'm going camping this weekend up at Poole Knobs off Percy Priest Lake. Might bring the canoe out.

I'm going to take my neighbor and his son and teach them to clean and cook fish over the fire (if we catch any : ) ) and try doing a swedish fire torch and try making bannock bread.

I'm going to see if I can film most of it. I've been making videos since the new year where I'm trying to teach myself more bushcraft and outdoor stuff and getting more into primitive camping.

Here's my channel if you want to see how long it took me to learn to use a ferro rod to start a fire for the first time. (longer than it should have)

https://www.youtube.com/c/johnathonbrock

Offline bubby

« Reply #13578 on: June 08, 2016, 05:42:36 pm »
Ah do or do not there is no try😈
Sounds like a fun weekend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13579 on: June 09, 2016, 04:03:37 am »
We almost always have a fun weekend bubby  ;) I got back on my Elm bow last evening, I cut it off 1 /12 on each end and added some tip overlays. I put it back on the tiller stick and plane on getting it back to brace this evening, then I will string it and see if the tweaking and heating I did will help it stable out a bit, got my doubts but also my fingers crossed. It feels pretty springy so if I can get it stable it should make a good bow. :-\ Have fun this weekend John, sounds like a good trip. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #13580 on: June 09, 2016, 11:05:49 pm »
Brought the hammock tonight but it's so nice out I'm just going to sleep under the stars. Brad from the classic gave me a candle lantern and that's doing the job. Perfect night.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13581 on: June 10, 2016, 04:14:12 am »
Have fun John. ;) Friday and headed to the cabin as soon as I can get away, all my buddies out of town for the most part so should be a peaceful uneventful weekend.  :) I plan on working on my Elm bow plan A&B to see if I can come up with one for ElmHall I also have a Osage in the works so should be a good weekend for that. Hope yall have a good one. See ya Monday. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13582 on: June 13, 2016, 03:48:23 am »
Great weekend, not many visitors and hot but I got a lot done around the farm and in the shop. I got both Elm bows ready to finish the tillering , also got all my horns sealed and a dozen Sour wood arrows straightened and ready to work on the spline. Here are a few pictures. ;) I made a new lanyard out of hemp for my neck knife Bill gifted me and Sister just taking it all in. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13583 on: June 13, 2016, 03:51:29 am »
Sally and Sister, Sally really keeps and eyen on the little one. I got one of my Elm bows ready to be heat treated and the small one ready for my new form. :) Also a dozen sour wood arrows started in between cooling time. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13584 on: June 13, 2016, 03:53:48 am »
Bill and Linda showed up to do some work on a Hickory bow he is building for his daughter. :) I got my short bendy handle elm on the new R/D form.  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:15:33 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13585 on: June 13, 2016, 03:57:57 am »
I got the longer Elm heat treated, I think it may just work out now, we will see in a few days. I got all the horns I have been working on  all sealed up, I decided to go with satin poly. Little Elm off the R/D form. Looking good for now. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13586 on: June 13, 2016, 04:00:59 am »
I was on the bushhog at 5:15 Saturday morning and got a lot done until about 10, got to hot so went back to the shop for some tillering on my little Elm bow. :) Sister just resting after a long morning. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:05:36 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13587 on: June 13, 2016, 04:04:16 am »
Got it out to 45@20 and decide to give it a break and went to work on the sour wood arrows, I made a little block and mounted it right in front of my work bench, it make straightening very fast and easy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13588 on: June 13, 2016, 04:10:29 am »
12 or 15 acres bushhogged/I bow heat treated/1 Bow almost tillerer/12 sour wood arrows straightened/ and all my horns sealed also had some time with friends and a little shooting. Hard to beat that for a weekend hot or not. :) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13589 on: June 13, 2016, 05:07:49 am »
Man that does look like a great weekend pappy! I'm really looking forward to seeing you at the classic next year!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!