Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4649326 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16350 on: January 14, 2019, 02:24:06 pm »
Thanks guys I will pass it along to her. BJ I am not sure it gets any easier but you do learn which I guess make things easier in a way. It is just a lot of work but well worth the effort to some. Like building wood bows, it ant for everybody. I have helped several that thought they wanted to get into it, most 1 is enough. ;) :) Here are a few pictures of the weekend. Good fire of course, it was very cold for us this weekend. 2 of my racks reworked and tightened up. I have 5 large ones and 1 small they always need a little work each year. 2 hides from the freezer, 1 fleshed and sanded, ready to rack and the other needed fleshing so I put it in a bucket of water to soften it so I could flesh and rack.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16351 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »
Bill down cutting wood and working on a walking stick. Shawn down working on the IW bow we spliced. Looking good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16352 on: January 14, 2019, 02:28:27 pm »
My walking stick with the bark off. I hide in the brains, one in the bucket to thaw and 1 in the rack to dry. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16353 on: January 14, 2019, 02:32:58 pm »
My set up to ring the hide after braining, it didn't work as well as I hoped , kept slipping on the steel rails so I had to make another. This was a big hide after the first braining. You have to be careful the first time you ring it out, it is like wet rawhide and you can rip it pretty easy if you aren't careful. After the second or third you couldn't rip it if you wanted to. :) Love watching it turn into buckskin. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16354 on: January 14, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »
Got 1 of my old 22's out to check over for next weekends TwinOaks squirrel hunt. ;) My girls cleaning up around the place. :) Started  scrapping the big hide, it was still just a little damp so I will hold up a day or 2 more or until the sun shines again and wet weather goes away. You will get a waffle board on them if they aren't really tight when dry scraping. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:38:52 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16355 on: January 14, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
We had a big dead White oak on the drive way that needed to come down before the Classic so 4 or 5 of us cut it/hauled it and split it up for fire wood, always need fire wood. :) My new pole for ringing hides, it works much better. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16356 on: January 14, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
 Chuck gifting a knife blade to Little John, he may get it done someday. ::) Great day Saturday, my brother and niece showed up along with a bunch of the guys, we had a meeting at noon. It was great to see them.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16357 on: January 14, 2019, 02:46:22 pm »
Lots of projects going on Saturday. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16358 on: January 14, 2019, 02:49:59 pm »
First time a seen a community ring chasing. My girls plum worn out from the day.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16359 on: January 14, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »
Case doing some lath work, Shawn flipping the tips on his IW bow and I laid out a knife blade from an old farrier's rasp I had softened in the fire, worked and cut good. :)  Great weekend and fun had by all i think. :)  Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:56:40 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #16360 on: January 14, 2019, 03:56:31 pm »
Good Sat fun for the day after deer season ended in Tenn.  Big fun at the farm. The fella]s were having a good time with on Garret chasing a ring on the Osage stave. Buckskin, bows, woodpile, and fun with friends.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #16361 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:15 pm »
Definitely a good day Saturday.

Looking forward to the squirrel hunt next weekend. I might have to break the blunderbuss out of the gun cabinet.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16362 on: January 14, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
Looks like a really good weekend Pappy. I like your wooden wringing pole. I used a steel one and hide wanted to slip and slid around. I know it doesn't get easy, but I was doing a few things that made it harder. :o. Got my hide coming along nicely now. I'm kinda enjoying this. Even getting my wife and son interested and I love that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16363 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:44 am »
Sure looks like a great Weekend for sure, Girls are looking to be Happy Happy ! Thanks for sharing  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16364 on: January 15, 2019, 05:03:12 am »
You are welcome as always Bob, I enjoy it also BJ, but sure can't see miss Joanie getting into it.  ;) :) Still cold and rain here so working on other projects, that is the good part of Brain tanning, a few things once you start you can't put off but most can be put off until another day if the weather ant right or you just don't feel it for some reason. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good