Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4652426 times)

Offline Theo 3

• Crested Butte, CO
Re: Life is good
« Reply #1920 on: July 25, 2008, 09:54:55 am »
Hi Pappy, Greg B and all, Hope you are having a great summer! I have been keeping the nose to the grindstone so apologize for not responding more often. I do read the posts and see the awesome photos: wish I could be there for a little help on my hickory bow... she's bending pretty good by the handle so now I'm working my way up towards the tips, which I plan on leaving stiff? We just got the range set about 3 wks. ago so haven't shot much. There is still snow in the trees @ 10,000 ft. (Kinda handy for keeping cold beverages). Had more targets(buck pronghorn & turkey) hit by the mountain lion. This is the third time in three years. The local bear got our "standing bear" also. Crazy! Makes you a little nervous out shooting the course by yourself. I will try to quit being ignorant & post some photos. Hard to believe bow season is a month away!! Has your son settled himself @ school yet? You know he is welcome here any time. My first born will be 16 on opening eve of bow season, I was hoping the 29th would hit on opening day, which is when he was born, so he could shoot his elk on his B-day! I think this is his his year...I know you can relate to how fast they grow up... Does Joanie even do your signature on the bows? I thought it was so special on the bow you gave me I took a picture of it before the penciled "Pappy" wore off... if I ever get it done, I hope you can sign it for me. Take care of yourselves.  Life is good!   Teddy
Hunting cleanses the soul and rejuvenates the mind...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1921 on: July 25, 2008, 11:05:48 am »
Teddy ,yes she dose most of mine,but I think I did the one you got.Send some pictures I would love to see them.Beau will be out there the 13 th of August and he has your # so if he calls I
appreciate you looking out for him,He is in Alaska right now for a 3 week road trip,him and 2 buddies drove ,they said it would be 16,000 miles round trip.He got married the 5th of July so he will be bringing he beautiful wife Christina with him out west,going to miss him but life moves on.Wished
yall could make it in for the shoot next year but for sure plan a few day to Turkey hunt when you are here.My farm is full of them and yall are welcome to come and camp and kill all you want or can. :) Hope to see ya in the spring.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1922 on: July 28, 2008, 05:51:01 am »
Had a great ,but short weekend at the cabin.I had a family reunion Sat. evening so I left early.Got
a lot done tho.Greg , jesse and Big A came down Sat along with a few friends so we had a big time.
I got My IW bow finished and will have so pictures in a week or so.I am leaving Wend. morning for ELMHall MI. for a shoot so this will be a short week,still got to pack.I also finished 8 Cain arrows.Got
field tips on some and trade points on the others,they should make meat in a month or 2.Made a new string for my IW and plan on giving it a work out at the Elm Hall shoot.Not much cooking but I ate well at the reunion,yall know how them or. ;) ;D I also laid out and reflexed a 44 inch Persimmon limb bow.It is about ready to brace .It should be cool if I ever get around to finishing it.Still got to bushhog.When my buddies showed up the farm work stops,I got to get over that. ;) :)Here are some pictures of the weekend. Life is Good. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1923 on: July 28, 2008, 05:54:18 am »
A couple of pictures of BigA's new Osage and his boy doing a little shooting,we like to start them young. :) Greg's Cain stash and me working on a new string and cutting some self nocks and mounting trade points on my new Cain. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1924 on: July 28, 2008, 05:59:51 am »
My arrows,Jesse working on his IW,as you can see he has been busy napping,so he was behind on his bow building.Then I get home and deer in the back yard,I'm at the farm where all the deer are supposed to be and the deer are right in my back yard,I thought about a stand right off the top of the slide,  ??? Blue camo wonder how that would look. ;) ;D Yes Life is good. I 'll have some picture next week for the north.Hope yall have a good week.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1925 on: July 28, 2008, 08:12:00 am »
I had a big gobbler in my back yard yesterday eating what few grapes are beginning to get ripe.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline BearG

« Reply #1926 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:05 am »
well you already have a ladder stand in place.  and enough water to clean up the blood.  but Miss Jonie would kill ya if you got the pool to bloody >:D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #1927 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:30 am »
Looks like enough cane to keep ya out of trouble for awhile there Greg ;D. Arra's look good Pappy! them aught to bring home the backstrap. I'm a caged animal at work here, inside a fence in the city - no woods to exploit, just asphalt and concrete yuck :-X! Can't wait to get back to the shop..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #1928 on: July 28, 2008, 12:17:41 pm »
Sure wish I could make it down to Elmhall Pappy but my big brother is coming home oh well maybe next year eh.
Hope ya have a big time :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1929 on: July 28, 2008, 02:58:45 pm »
Cowboy, just keep pacing the fence...you'll find an opening sooner or later! ;)
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1930 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:34 am »
Ya Bear I don't think Miss Joanie would like that.She loves her pool, Dana wished you could make it to,I would love to see you and old Bo.Greg got a new camera so maybe he can post some from down there this weekend,I will be up North but I am sure life will be good up there also.Got
all my stuff together last night and plan to pack tonight then pull out from Nashville in the
morning as soon as I can get away.Hope to be there by 5 or 6 Wend. evening.Long trip
by myself,O well can't think of anyone I would rather spend time with. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1931 on: July 29, 2008, 08:19:39 pm »
That all looks like so much fun Pappy! Have never seen so much cane and its so straight. Puts my rose shoots to shame and so much less work to boot getting them straight.

Greg, finaly got the rawhide on the back of the Osage Reflex/deflex the other night. It's drying now and I hope to get it all trimmed up soon and the snake skins on it. Any suggestions on putting the snakeskins on top of the rawhide?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1932 on: July 29, 2008, 11:09:37 pm »
Pappy, I want to know more about your little persimmon bow when you get back. If you take it with you, take some pics of your progress.  ;)  Pat   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1933 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:20 am »
Will do Pat,I cut it a couple of years ago,it was just big enough around to hold nicely,I laid out the handle section and cut it down the middle with a bandsaw flaring out at the handle on both limbs.
then put it up.It dried and took so reflex on both limbs.I just put it on the form and evened it out and flipped the tips.I have it floor tillered now and plan on working on it when I get back.I have been
thinking about sinew backing it but ant sure yet.It is only 44 inches N-N So if I don't sinew it I will
only go out to about 20-22 draw.It ant a bendy handle.I have made some out of Persimmon before
and it is pretty tough wood so I think it will take that.I am out of here in an Hour or so and will see
yall Tuesday.Have a great week. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1934 on: July 30, 2008, 08:27:22 am »
Greg, finaly got the rawhide on the back of the Osage Reflex/deflex the other night. It's drying now and I hope to get it all trimmed up soon and the snake skins on it. Any suggestions on putting the snakeskins on top of the rawhide?

David, I'd soak the skin's for 5-10 minutes and put either TBII or TBIII on one limb (then place on the skin), then glue the other limb and place on the last skin. We usually start at the handle and work our way to the tips. Use your thumbs to stretch the skins working from center to the edges and also down the skin. Try to remove any air pockets, and closely examine the skin when you're finished to check again for air/glue pockets. I would not wrap the skin with anything since you're placing it over rawhide, or the wet skin and then wrapping can leave impressions in the skin...learned that the hard way.

Good luck!
Greg