Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4695256 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Life is good
« Reply #2805 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:05 am »
I enjoy working on bows and arrows at the club, but sometimes that fire pit draws me near for a little warmth and relaxation... just staring at the fire...you know what I mean! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2806 on: March 06, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
Friday again,and for the first time in a while I don't have anything for the club going on,I plan on pulling deer stands,filling some ditches wit tobacco stalks,service my Kobota and working on my Osage
snake bow. I have been working on a bow for Chris [sodbuster]and have it heat treated,snake skins
on and tip overlays glued on so it won't take long to finish it and turn it back over to him.I do need to work on the 33 arrows for the Classic trophy's and may work on them at night when I can't do anything on the farm. Things have been so busy lately I am looking forward to just a relaxing
weekend catching on some stuff for me. Hope yall have a good one also.Life is good.  :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2807 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:12 am »
Started pruning my grape vines yesterday...should have already had that done. Planning to finish up this afternoon, and try and help Pappy with taking down stands Saturday! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2808 on: March 06, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »
Greg, what type of grapes can you grow in Tenn.? I thought the weather is tough on them in that area of the US.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2809 on: March 06, 2009, 04:03:29 pm »
I guess I need to prune my grapes too. It's about that time.
  David, I have Concord, a pink grape of unknown name and some Scupernongs but they don't do well here.  We got tons of blue berries last year and Bing cherries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2810 on: March 07, 2009, 02:05:56 am »
Hows the wine from the Concord Grapes Pat? I hear its a bit foxy.  Dont know the other varieties but they sound interesting.  From what I understand the European vines tend to not like the highly humid conditions back east. Bummer! I did here there was one variety back during the 17 and 1800's that did really well until a blight wiped it out. Now if we could graft them onto and american root stock I bet it could be brought back into production in the Kentucky and Tenn . regions on up to around the great lakes. Wish I could remember its name! I would look it up but the book is in storage and I really dont want to herniate my back before the classic starts, moving all those boxes!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2811 on: March 07, 2009, 11:08:22 am »
David, we never made wine with our grapes. We made grape juice and jelly though.
  If it weren't for native American grapes for root stock, the European wine market would be nil. Our root stock makes them immune to the blights that were wiping them out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2812 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »
Yeah, I know! Must be around 10-15 different methods of grafting the rootstock to the European varieties.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2813 on: March 09, 2009, 06:41:52 am »
Man we had a great weekend,I had Greg,BigA and Grant show up to help pull all my stands Sat.Had about 14 to get out or check and we got that out of the way. Only 6 months till time to do it all over again. ;) Had a lot of bow work going on also.Greg worked on some splices and got 2 nice ones done.I got Chris's bow ready for him and got my snake bowout to 25 and heat treated.Ready to finish tweaking the tiller a little and it should be finished by the Classic if not before.Had a bunch of kids down also,they were starting on some new bows for themselves.Dan and Mark came down also
and have there Hickory's about done.It was the most as far as bows that has went on in a while.
It was great. ;D Ate good of course.Life is good.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:02:40 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2814 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:38 am »
Jerry is comming along with the hickory,he has only been working on it for 3 months.Woody broug down some trout for Friday night's supper.
   Pappy

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:03:22 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2815 on: March 09, 2009, 06:47:23 am »
It was a good meal,woody use to be big in Archery and was Presedent for several years but now has moved on to fly fishing,We miss him but like his fish. ;) ;D
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2816 on: March 09, 2009, 06:49:33 am »
My snake bow at first brace,GregB giving some lessons on debarking Osage to the young man in the back.Allson with some flowers,they are everywhere this year and BigA chasing a grain.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2817 on: March 09, 2009, 06:54:31 am »
GregB doing some splices and Allison getting the hang of chaseing a ring.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2818 on: March 09, 2009, 06:57:55 am »
Case cut us some walking sticks ,he also made some frog gigs,the way Jesse makes them.We shot GregB's Dogwood bow ,he shot it great,I shot it even better,first 2 shots ,right where they need to be.That is one nice shooting bow,hits right where you look. :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:04:16 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2819 on: March 09, 2009, 07:00:20 am »
It was a great weekend,more fun and more folks than usuall and our kids are really coming along.
They are learning to do a lot of this stuff for thereselfs and that is a good thing.Hope yall had a good one also. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good