Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4651667 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Life is good
« Reply #435 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:41 pm »
"Life is Good"
Last week work had me in another week long training class in Nashville.  Sent Pappy an e-mail and asked if he had time for me to stop by his farm Monday afternoon.  He said that he did.  So, Monday afternoon after I got all booked into my hotel room I headed north up to Pappy's farm.  Pappy was there working on an Osage bow.  I brought an Osage bow that had a natural deflex in the lower limb with me.  I don't have a form at home so I figured this would be the best way to get a bit of reflex cooked into it.  Pappy placed the bow in the form and cooked in the reflex.  As we were waiting for the bow to cool down we set under some electric fans and just shot the breeze.  It was to hot to do much of anything else.  We talked about most all you folks on this site. ;D  All Good! ::)   We talked about bows of the past and bows that we hope to make in the future.  I got to see
the "Twins".  Man they look nice.  Long and lean with nice curves.  After about three hours the bow had cooled enough and we removed it from the form.  It was after 6:00 pm by then so I thought it best to head back into town before dark.  As I was leaving a doe snorted at me four times.  Never seen her.  She was somewhere across the creek, on the back side of the practise targets.  That was the third time I have been up there.  Lord willing it will not be the last.  Life really is Good.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #436 on: August 31, 2007, 05:53:05 am »
Friday at last,got a big 3 day weekend planed.I finished all but 1 of my food plots this week
so all I have to do this weekend is 1 more and a little bushhogging,then it is back to bows.I have one to chase the ring on and lay out.I am putting some tip overlays on a 58 in. Osage I hunted with last year.It is sinew backed and I went all the way over the tips with the sinew.I set it on my foot while hunting and when I got some rain it would loosen up after a while ,so I trimmed it back
a couple of inches and going to put horn tips on it to stop that problem and then some more sealer.Season is almost here don't know how good it will be ,we have blue tong going around and I have found 3 dead doe so far near the creek.Plan on looking for more this weekend.I had a good
friend bring me some sword fish steaks so that is on the menu for tonight and we will just have to see for Sat.night.Working on and shooting bows,working on the farm and some good old camp fire
cooking,don't get much better than that at least for me.Hope yall have a good one .Pictures Tuesday. ;)
      Pappy  :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2007, 10:29:09 am »
Had a good weekend,got through with my bushhogging ,got 3 stand set and 4 ladder stand tightened up,got the Osage I was working on to a growth ring and laid out and steamed
on the form now.Should be ready to start tillering.Got my sinew backed Osage trimmed back and some horn tips put on.Cooked the sword fish cook and it was good,not sure I wouldn't rather have crappy or Catfish guess that is the red neck comming out in me.Ron supplied supper Sat. night as you will see.I think that was a first for the cabin.Had deer tender lion and baked tater Sunday night and it was great.Helped Tiller Isiah's bow and put tips on it also.Ron got his backed bow glued up ,I will let him tell ya what it is I can't remember.All in all a great weekend.Life is good. :)Here are some pictures.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:10:24 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: September 04, 2007, 10:32:21 am »
That was the 58 sinew backed bow with new horn tips.And this is starting supper Frid. night and
Sadie waiting on leftovers.
   Pappy

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:16:04 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #439 on: September 04, 2007, 10:35:32 am »
Supper and Osage to a ring. :) :)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:16:40 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2007, 10:38:31 am »
Osage laid out and others working on bows.
   Pappy

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:11:18 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:23 am »
Also in the privous picture was 8UP'S son in law with the bow Ron made for him.He shot it
good. ;D Also in the next one is what Ron supplied for supper and some arrow building instructions.
Ron working on his glue up and Isah's horn tips. :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:17:59 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2007, 10:47:11 am »
My Osage cut out and floor tillered,Nothing like watermelon and miller lite,Supper started Sunday night and Ron's glue up clamped. ;D Deer back strap. ;D ;)
   Pappy

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:18:42 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:10 am »
Isiah's first brace was on the last pictures and the O sage I thought was straight when the bark was on.I just can't find a straight piece. :)Also on this one Ron's glue up off the clamps and him settling in for supper,notice his table. ;D ;D
   Pappy

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:19:15 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: September 04, 2007, 10:54:33 am »
And last Ron's glue up and mine on the form,just out of the steamer.Man I can't wait till Friday. :)
    Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #445 on: September 04, 2007, 10:57:17 am »
Ron shure dont look like Col. Sanders ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #446 on: September 04, 2007, 11:50:47 am »
Man, that all looks real good Pappy!! hey been noticing that steamer you have at the back of your form table. Do you use that before clamping all the time? how long do you steam? thanks.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:12 pm »
Dana I thought he did. ;D ;D cowboy I use it all the time with Osage less than about 3 years
old,If it is older than that I use dry heat.It seems to help season it.I will get the worst of the problems with the steam and then tweak it with heat after that.I never steam them twice or old wood.I usually only use dry heat on my white wood unless I am bending something radical like
tips. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #448 on: September 04, 2007, 05:35:36 pm »
Pappy:  I'm glad Cowboy asked the question.  I've seen the pipe device in the background of several of your pictures but never knew what it was.  Now that I've looked closer, I see what you're talking about.  Can you elaborate on how it works?  It appears to be a hot plate with a pan (?) of water venting up to stove pipe.  Are the ends closed or open?

Also, I just have to add that I look forward to viewing your "Life is Good" thread, especially on Monday's.  It truly looks like fun, especially after spending my Labor Day in the Mall with the wife and daughters.  They humored me with a trip to Bass Pro Shop afterwards as consolation.  I love spending time with my family, but sometimes a spell in the Man Cave is needed to decompress.

Keep the pictures coming. 
Thanks

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #449 on: September 04, 2007, 06:28:14 pm »
Thanks Pappy - I'm gonna build one ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.