Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609907 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #15405 on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:28 am »
I try Steve, always believed in leading by example.  ;) :) :) Friday and for a Change I am headed to Nashville  :o Then to the cabin. I was on the Safety committee for over 25 years at work and they always have a Christmas Breakfast in Early December. They invited me to attend and I am really looking forward to seeing some of my old Friends. ;) First trip back to Nashville since I retired. ;) Not sure what I will get into when I get back to the cabin but I am sure it will involve some hunting and work in the shop. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #15406 on: December 08, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »
  You do a pretty good job staying busy that's for sure. You make the youngsters look bad!

Keep setting that example Pappy
slowing down aint fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #15407 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:58 pm »
  My old shop is about 5 miles from my house, I drive by it all the time. A couple of times a year I stop in for coffee. All the guys I worked with are now either transferred or retired. I doubt I will stop in much anymore.

Offline TNArcher1969

« Reply #15408 on: December 10, 2017, 04:04:34 am »
Looks like a good one, really like a lot of work. Chris needs that knife, I bought a blank from Alan at last year's classic. ;D

I'm going to try and get in the woods this weekend and see how the knee copes with logs and vines. Our gun season just opened last Saturday so the rest of us without 1st 9 days permits get to play now. I'm going after squirrels with my .300 BlackOut on my back just in case. Nobody I talked to saw a deer all during archery season. Game Managers have been letting them run dogs for hogs just before the season opens, dumbest thing they have done in years in my opinion.I don't know why I even bother to buy a license down here anymore.

Eddie i hear ya. them Florida boys love their dogs. a long time ago i went on a hunt for deer in Ocala National Forest where they were using dogs, trucks with boat seats bolted to the dog boxes, 00 buck shot and CB radios. craziest deer hunt i have ever been on...
hope you are healing good and wish you luck brother..
"Stay Calm, Pick a spot, Shoot Straight"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15409 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:18 pm »
Great weekend, very cold for us but still got a lot done around the cabin and in the shop.Weather cold didn't seem to stop all my buddies from stopping by for some shop work and fellowship around the fire. Here are a few pictures of the fun. Started off with some ax handle work, I have 3 ready to put the handle finish on. Only 2 more to go until I find more heads. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15410 on: December 10, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
The Collins head mounted on a Walnut handle, Walnut is not the toughest handle , but it sure is pretty. ;) Also some old leaf springs for our forge if we ever get it up and going. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15411 on: December 10, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »
My girls just doing their thing. My 3 ax's ready to seal and also split out some blocks of Walnut from one of the trees we cut, make some nice wood for later projects. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15412 on: December 10, 2017, 06:21:19 pm »
Dan got a little frustrated with his bow hunting so he broke out the rifle and killed a nice buck. I told him we call that grocery shopping when we break out the gun. ;) :) :) I am refurbishing an old compound quiver for a G Fred style side quiver. ;) Man can't have to many quivers. ;) Shawn showed up for some bow work and Chuck was doing some clean up of non usable staves we had saved for some reason over the years. He cut it up into fire wood and also some knife scales. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15413 on: December 10, 2017, 06:26:56 pm »
More ax handle from the stuff Chuck was going through. Then I moved on to some bow work. I am making this one for a buddy in KY. left handed so that is a little different for me. He wants 50 or so at 28, I have it out to 48@26 and decided to make the shelf/put the grip on and flip the tips before moving on to the final tiller.Jon doing some studying up on knife making and keeping warm by the fire. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15414 on: December 10, 2017, 06:30:28 pm »
Like I said a good fire was in order all day. Got the shelf and Hemp wrap on the bow I am working on. Then we stacked all the wood we had split, the wood pile is looking much better, we are over half way for the year. ???  Takes a lot of wood for us. ;) Allen showed up to work on his Osage bow.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15415 on: December 10, 2017, 06:33:08 pm »
GregB showed up for some bow work also, Allen and Shawn doing some tweaking on there bows on the forms. Allen lining up the string and Shawn adding some reflex and heat treating his Elm bow. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15416 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:36 pm »
Chuck's scrap pile. ;)  Like I said we kept a good fire going and it was hard to keep the guys away from it. ;)Me making a Hemp lanyard for my quiver.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15417 on: December 10, 2017, 06:40:32 pm »
Chuck making scales out of the scrap. He made some very nice ones, he also tuned up the band saw, it gets a lot of wear and tear around there. Me flipping the tips on my Osage bow, They turned out nice and even with no checks in the belly. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15418 on: December 10, 2017, 06:46:21 pm »
Shawn's Elm bow off the form, looking good so far.  Headed back to the woods in the morning, I would love to have another doe or 2 for brats but it really gets tough this time of the year in TN. with a bow They have all gotten back together so you will see 10 or 12 or nothing and also most of the cover is gone so you really have to work at it to not be spotted and get off a shot. We will see, just have to keep working at it and be patients.  ;) Hope yall had a great weekend also. Life is Good. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #15419 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »
Nice work on the axe handles Pappy!   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left