Author Topic: Mesolithic clothing  (Read 46019 times)

Offline Dane

Mesolithic clothing
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:54 am »
Hi everyone. This is probably the first time I have posted in this section, and I hope someone can give me some insights into ideas for Mesolithic clothing.

A friend and I are moving in this direction and putting together a group, and want to explore this period of time in both Europe and North America, with a strong focus on Europe. Things to do are familiar with the primitive community, including fire making, hunting and trapping, body art, bow making, etc, but I want to immerse myself a bit more in how a person would have lived, his material culture, and in the context of living in the bush for short and maybe extended time periods.

I am making the assumptions that clothing had to be rugged, comfortable, and adapted to a hunting and gathering mode of life. Buckskin seems the most logical choice of skins, but what other game animals were hunted in Europe during this age? Equipment would include the brand-spanking new invention of the bow :) strke a light of pyrite and flint, stone tools (celts, knives, adze), and the atlatl would have, I think, still been a viable weapon for the hunt.

I'm picturing a skin shirt, fairly long and somewhat, but not too much tailored, either sewn with sinew or made with thongs that perhaps tie up the sides of the shirt? Breachclout and leggings for men. Possibly some sort of headgear. A mantle or cloak / robe for colder weather. Footgear was probably something like NA mos. I am also assuming some fringing would have been on the shirt, probably on the bottom heam. Welt seams, I am thinking.

I've look at the Otzi relics, and expect those will give me some clues to making this stuff. His quiver reminds me very much of a NA plains style quiver.

Thanks,

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Mesolithic clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »
Are you familiar with these pics??

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »
This is a link to a german television station

.swr.de/steinzeit/html/DAS_EXPERIMENT.html

Two and a half year ago the television station (SWR)  had a report over 13 people living like a neolithic group.
Two members of this group are travelling in neolithic outfit over the alpes like Ötzi.

may be this is interesting for you....?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:00:33 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:30:13 am »
Frank, I have seen the first illustaration, the second is new to me. Thanks for sharing these.

Andrew, danke! Yes, that is exactly what I have in mind. The stone ages are far more complex and facinating than we are led to believe, with the image of the brutish "cave men" and all that.

Dane

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:55:11 am »
@Dane
it is always interesting to talk with Henning and Ingo about their experience in living like  stone age men.

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:00 am »
Andew, those are the two guys who crossed the alps? I'd love to be in contact with them. They are doing exactly what I have in mind. Since my heritage is German and Northern European ancestry, as well as the Mediterranian, I feel that this is a good way to get in touch with my ancient roots. Plus, it is fun :)

I hope you are doing well, Andrew. I haven't seen any of your work in a while in the bow section.

Dane

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:50:46 am »
I will ask Henning and/or Ingo....

And for the non posting pictures: My camera is out of order but now I have bought a new one and if the weather is turning in spring weather I will try to make new pics of my work....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »
James Parker(Robustus) reproduced what was found with Otzi, down to the grass cape. Pretty cool stuff. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:42:03 pm »
Pat, that is so cool. Otzi's shoes are in particular facinating workmanship, with the rope inners or frame. So is his quiver and that grass cape. I'd love to see James post some pictures of his work. Sad what happened to him, being apparently murdered with a shot in the back. One documentary theorizes that it was desire for his copper axe that may have caused someone to attack him.

Andrew, I sent you a message. Thanks!

Dane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »
From what I heard the point they found in him was crude and obviously his stuff was valuable to the thugs that shot him. I also heard he was alive when an avalanche covered him while he was hiding. It amazes me how much info can come from a 5000 year old corpse. They know what he ate for lunch the day he died.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »
It was a different world back then you might have been killed for an ax today you might loose your life for a pair of sneakers.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:28:44 pm »
James Parker(Robustus) reproduced what was found with Otzi, down to the grass cape. Pretty cool stuff. 8)

Think we can get hin to model the 'getting dressed' picture series with his reproductions?? that would be way cool!
(He might want to skip the form on the very left...  8) 8) 8) )
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »
... It amazes me how much info can come from a 5000 year old corpse. They know what he ate for lunch the day he died.

Amazes me it took them TEN YEARS to figure out there was a stone projectile in his back!!! They computer-tomographed the mummy maybe more than anything or anybody ever; sort of disastrous for the archaeologists in charge...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:03 pm »
I'm not so experienced in reproduction as Robustus I think - but I like to make a quiver like the ötziquiver. It is my next quiverproject... :)

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »
The Otzi find is so remarkable, and as Pat said, they know what he ate the day before he died. They even know what streams he drank from and where he stopped before his last ascent up the mountain. They know he was involved in copper working, as well. I feel so bad for him, dying alone as he did in the high elevations. Whoever did it was a coward.

I too want to make an Otzi quiver, Andrew. It looks very straight forward.

Dane