Author Topic: Mesolithic clothing  (Read 46237 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Mesolithic clothing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:08 pm »
 If someone has some pictures of the Classic, James is wearing it there. Or it is on his web site in Classifieds. I have the picture but it is on my HP laptop the motherboard just crashed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:27 am »

I too want to make an Otzi quiver, Andrew. It looks very straight forward.

It was made from goat hide, right??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 06:46:23 am »
Here is the link to the museum housing Otzi.

http://www.iceman.it/en

It is in German, Englsh, and Italian.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 07:52:32 am »

I too want to make an Otzi quiver, Andrew. It looks very straight forward.

Dane, here is a picture of it; I have a bigger one, but too big to post here. I also have a good pic of a reconstruction. If you are interested, PM me you email address and I'll mail it on to you. Actually anybody interested is welcome to do the same...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:33 am »
I think the quiver should be of chamois fur. In the pic of frank it looks like goat but somewhere I see a description and in the description was spoken of chamois...

and I have found a little drawing on my computer:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:05:04 am by AndrewS »

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 09:08:34 am »
Nice drawing, Andrew, very clear how it is designed.

Frank, the museum site has information on all the various things Otzi carried, materials made from, etc. The photos are not great, but the one you posted is excellent.

Dane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 11:17:20 am »
I have a few pics somewhere of reproductions of Utzi's gear at the Natural History Museum I took a few years ago in Washington. When I find them I'll post.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:52 am »
Yes actually it was chamois, not goat; I have a picture of one made alike that is goat...
Frank from Germany...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 01:00:38 pm »
I've seen a reference to ancient leather garments from Asia that are made of thin leather with slits cut into it to provide ventilation.  It looked like expanded metal and I think the shoes and shirt of the individual were made from it.  They were discovered in a frozen grave in Siberia....but can't remember anything else.

As a rule, if a garment was made of fur-on leather, the fur was placed on the inside...like Eskimo clothing.  I'm not sure if the fur on Ozti's has was on the inside or outside, though.

I'm curious to know if there was (is) an easy way to keep leather clothing from being ruined by sweat?  I would think that stone age man spend a lot of time keeping his leather clothing dry and relatively smell-free.  Perhaps a thin coat of beeswax on the inside would help?

Interesting topic.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 01:21:29 pm »
As a rule, if a garment was made of fur-on leather, the fur was placed on the inside...like Eskimo clothing.  I'm not sure if the fur on Ozti's has was on the inside or outside, though.

Wasn't sure about that and googled for Inuit parka pics; they had fur inside, fur outside, and seems like fur both in- and outside.
It's an interesting question: how did they keep the cloth from being ruined by sweat; especially the fur parkas of the Inuit always appear as if they just came out of the Inuit fashion store...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »
Pat, I'd love to see those shots if you dont mind.

Patrick, I was just wondering what became of you. Never went anywhere, I am guessing :)

My limited understanding of brain tan is that it stiffens when wet, and has to be smoked or somehow worked to make it supple again. Is that true?

Eventually, I do want to get brain tan for making this clothing. For now, German tanned buckskin will do.

Do you guys think it fair to design backwards using Otzi's much more modern stuff for the mesolithic period? It does give us a very rare glimpse of what our ancestors were wearing in Europe way back then. It seems this touches on ideas and how they were spread, and how universal some things are, like that quiver of Otzi's. It looks like it came from a Souix warrior's gear circa 1800.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »
Inuit clothing, and other things you find in archological digs as well as still being used in harsh conditions is always so well made, and well taken care of. If you life depends on it, the craftsmanship will always be top rate. That is my thinking, anyway. Look how well Otzi's stuff survived 5000 years under ice.

Anyone have specs and dimensions of his bow? Yeah, I know I am hijacking my own thread, but his bow is facinating. The blood that may have been used as protection alone is an intersting notion we modern bow makers dont try often enough :)

Dane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »
His bow was an uncompleted stave I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »
My understanding as well, Pat, but does anyone know what it was spectulated to look like when he (or someone) completed it? It was yew, like his axe handle, and there was evidence of the tools used on the bow. Strange it was coated in blood if it was a work in progress, unless he didnt plan to work on it for a while, maybe.

Strange he was carrying an unfinished stave and few useable arrows. I wonder if Otzi had to leave in a hurry?

Dane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
Dane, These are the pics of the Utzi reproduction in the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC