Author Topic: Discovering a hunting underworld/subculture  (Read 29820 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Discovering a hunting underworld/subculture
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:53:08 am »
The last few months I opened a few doors that kept surprising me with what I found behind them.

I first got me a nice airgun for hunting Doves in the AG land behind my house, I slowly learned and discovered things I had no idea existed, now I'm fully commited to hunt big game with airguns.

I spend the last few months dialying in several different airguns, and will start hunting with them in the near future, what I like about them is that they are still pretty quiet and llike bows you need to get farely close to your quarry, what they will do for mme is the fact that with bow and arrow often I get close to pigs but they hang out inside the Guava patches and I just can't thread an arrow in there even at 10 yards, but with a scoped airgun will give me that opportunity as well as the head shot.

my main hunting airguns will be a .45 cal rifle, a 9mm rifle, and a 9mm pistol

I've being supplying the kitchen with Doves from the buffer in between my house and the  AG land

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:06:40 am by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Discovering a hunting underworld/subculture
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:21:53 am »
AWESOME!  Ive never actually hunted with an air gun but I've always wanted to...sounds like a lot of fun and with the noise reduction you may be able to take a few down with no problem.  I hope you don't give up the archery though we sure would miss you around here!
GBR!

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:01:12 am »
That looks pretty nice.  Is that a brine?  Makes me hungry.  You got some nice decorative neck feathers there too.  One of these days Ill get around to makeing a air gun.  There are lots of lethal variations on the simple spud gun.  I'd bet, given the very idea of fire pistons, one could be done done primitative too out of boo or wood, though Id have to learn on pvc or abs.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11:44 am »
Ho no, archery is still my main thing, this is just a supplement to fill voids  ;)

Wolfsire, I gave the dove the wild boar treatment, ice water and balsamic vinegar, pig meat sits in it 2 days, the dove 2 hours  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:26:45 am »
I saw a hunting show that featured air guns they dropped a pig in its tracks from about 15 feet with a shot to the ear :o
Air guns have come along way eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:40 am »
cool. never even knew they made airguns of those callibers. i have slain many squirrels with my little benjamin though.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:41 pm »
that is some tasty looking grub.

I love my airguns. great around my suburban neighborhood.
My favorite is my airforce condor. 22 cal. got it dialed in modded up and it is quiet as a brad gun and accurate out to 75 yds or more. I mean I can put 8 out of 10 in a quarter shooting off a bench at 50+ yds.
Its awesome for small game up to coon sized critters.
Would love to play with some of the larger cal airguns.
Airguns are tons of fun.
Nice haul.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »
i need to get one thats more accurate than this piece of crap i have.  where can you get a good air gun? 

air guns have been around for a long time.  they were used 100's of years ago.  they ran them off a tank that was brazed together.  get like 15-20 shots i think off one tank. they didnt use them that much because it took like 1500 pumps to pump up the tank..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:17 pm »
 Manny, High power air rifles are great. I grew up hunting everything with them and used to bring home allot of pheasant and quail with them. I really like the RWS models and years ago discovered a little secret by accident.
 I had run out of gun oil to clean the air rifle and so I used some WD-40  ;D On the next shot it went off like a 22 rim fire. Puzzled it dawned on me that the friction in the barrel must have ignited. So another drop down the barrel of WD-40 and again it made a quiet but noticeable bang.  I set up some phone books and discovered that I was getting about double the pentration when i used the WD trick. Not sure what the muzzle velocity was but normal was 1200 FPS and with the WD it would absolutely splatter a pellet on a steel plate.  After a year or so I eventually blew out the seals but it was fun while it lasted.  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:56 pm »
  Manny, are you plucking those dove to get the breast out? If you are it is fast and easy to push your thumb under the breast bone and bend it backwards till it breaks. You can keep pulling and the meat will come out without the feathers or skin. I used to shoot my airgun but it was too loud to shoot in my backyard. I figured out how to quiet my 22 rifle so it sounds like a BB gun going off so I use it for squirrels.  Who makes the 45 cal airgun?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:37 pm »
that is some tasty looking grub.

I love my airguns. great around my suburban neighborhood.
My favorite is my airforce condor. 22 cal. got it dialed in modded up and it is quiet as a brad gun and accurate out to 75 yds or more. I mean I can put 8 out of 10 in a quarter shooting off a bench at 50+ yds.
Its awesome for small game up to coon sized critters.
Would love to play with some of the larger cal airguns.
Airguns are tons of fun.
Nice haul.
N2

Wade, is that the one I shot? Awesome gun.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »
You right Eddie, but I likr to keep the skin and legs/wings too  ;D

A couple of Americans are making Big bore airguns, high quality more custom made style, Koreans have being making and hunting big bore for generations

the bige bore airguns are PCP (precharged Pneumatics) you can fill with a scuba tank or a hand pump, you get multiple shots, my 9mm lever action rifle get 15 high power shoots, perfect to go hunting big birds, my .45 cal gets 4 full power and a few nice back ups, 9mm pistol 3 full power.

the .45 is good for pigs up to 50 yards, not to shabby for a BB gun he ?  ;D ;D

Koreans make some awsome .25 cal repeters lever action

common calibers are .308 .32 .9mm (.36) .45 .50

LOL keenan, there's allways a trade off

aero86, can't post other sites on PA, send me a PM and I give you some pointers

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:36:34 pm »
    I'm with you 100% I quit rifle hunting 8 years ago.[selfbows 20 years]And have or had 3,177cals a 22 and even a 25This is how I started my oldest son.This is what got me started and seeing deer,hogs,rams killed american air gunner on TV for the last year.And I've never killed a deer with and air gun and I have a 9 year old son and this will be a good way for him  to start deer hunting.Last week I wrote a post about it on WVSPORTSMEN sence then I had a guy email me and I went a shoot his 50 cal Queckmen and I'M TOTALLY SOLD.
   185 gr round ball  toped off at 3000 pis Touched holes at 30,1"groups at 50 and 5 shot group 1 1/2"s at 75 yards with a 2 1/2 inch flyer.This was as long as his range was.But said he shot it at 150 4 inch groups and he said he sucked.Filled it with a suba tank.But said he had pumps to carry in his pack deer hunting.He's killed 3 doe's longest 60 yards.ALL 3 WERE SHOT THROUGH THE SHOLDER AND WHEN STRAIGHT DOWN.These 3 were  shot with a different gun[50cal] that wasn't as good he said.Very nice and well built gun 3 x 9 from a distance it looked like a high cal rifle.I've even see some vido's of 500 yard guns.I'm like you I'm getting a 45 cal.By next fall to deer hunt with.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:50:18 pm »
Yeah DAQ's are great guns, he makes a mean .457, It's just hard to get on his list and are expensive, I was real lucky to score a 9mm handgun used, shootin 116gr hollopoints will be great for close range headshots , ho yeah it's scoped  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 01:26:54 am »
And today i got a couple more with my .22, the .22 is so powerfull that is almost an overkill, the chick wasn't supposed to die, but the pellet past thru the Dove and killed the young one behind, I saw the Dove take off in the scope and all of a sudden in her  place there was a chick kicking, I was , What the ... ??? ?

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII