Author Topic: March Flintknapping Challenge: Arrow points, your choice!  (Read 11527 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: March Flintknapping Challenge: Arrow points, your choice!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 12:41:36 am »
Here are a few points I made Monday for Half Eye.  He puts these on those beautiful arrows he makes.  All obsidian points.

Tell

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tell Riley

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:35 am »
I decided to post this pic just to encourage the people that stink at flintknapping like me to still post some pics! ::)  Billy said to post even if it's crude, and I would say mine qualifies for that!LOL  This point started off much larger, but when I was trying to notch it, I broke off about 2/3 of the bottom. >:(  So, I decided I might as well keep chipping away until I get something.  I guess you would call it a bird point, even though I saw in the magazine where Billy showed they could be effective on deer sized game as well.  Anyway, here it is and it weighs 26 grains.

thanx for posting looks great i am still tryn to figure this knapping thing out still nothing to show since my old owen chopper i made but i am still tryn i feel like i have regressed on this now i cant even get the hand axe shape lol uggh but i wont give up
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Allen7

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 01:13:23 am »
Here is a replica that I did of an artifact.  The owner indicated he found the projectile in the Columbia River Gorge near Cascade Locks,OR.  The original was made of a dark reddish brown rock that looked like jasper.   My replica is made from mahogony obsidian and is identical in length (2.5 inch) and thickness, but just tiny bit wider than the original.  However, the original was very worn on the edges.  I figured the original was a little wider when the edges were sharp.   Since it is as easy design, I tried to get nice oblique flakes.   The flake scars are not perfectly lined up to center line, but are OK for me.    I am not an Archeaologist, but this seems to match the leaf shaped points used on spears or darts by the old Cordilleran Culture or the Cascade phase in the Pacific NW.  The original may date to between 5500 - 9000 BC.

Happy Knapper

Offline Newbow

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 05:10:37 am »
I haven't knapped in awhile but the new point challange got me started again.  That first obsidian point is one of 2 out of 3 that I broke while notching.  I'll shorten it when I calm down.  The other one I broke split almost to the tip and isn't pictured.  The one of the 3 that didn't break is posted under "Started to knap again".  Each picture shows both sides of each point.  The first two pictures are of obsidian while the last is George Town and one Keokuk.  All from spalls except the Keokuk was a flake.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »
some good chippin guys
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct