Author Topic: What to do!  (Read 27515 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: What to do!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:58:19 am »
Looking good so far Pat,I love trying to save one.It seem like a lot of work at the time but when the plan comes together it is all worth it.Good luck. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 07:48:27 am »
Nothing like a good challenge to test ones skills and patience.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58:21 am »
Hi PatB, I glued one up a short while ago. It is a reflex/deflex design and is boo backed with Bamboo floor belly. I made it (belly) 3/8 thick tapering to 5/16 thick at the tips. This did not include the back bamboo thickness. I made it 1 1/4 wide around the fades and a straight tapper to the tips at 5/8 inches wide. I was looking for 55# to 60# @ 28 inches. It came out light at 46# at 28. I am going to glue up another one and make it 1 1/2 wide straight tapper to 5/8 wide keeping the same thickness. I use a copy of Vinson"s hour glass templet for the handle because I like the way it looks and feels. One of the limbs, bottom, is a little stiffer for some reason. Could be tolerances in the wood. I will have it at the state shoot for comments and critique. I have some photos but don't want to load up the thread. I think the combo works out very nice and would have been interested in seeing your version.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 10:13:40 am »
Yea Pappy, I have quite a few that need fixin so I can stay busy for a while.  ;DThe ones I've done so far have turned out better than expected.
Dana, This one is definately testing my patience. >:(
  Dick, I was looking forward to using the boo for the belly but the way I had it glued up it wouldn't have worked out anyway. >:( Actually the osage I did use on the belly I got from Vinson a few years ago at Hickory. Small world ain't it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 10:57:05 am »
Hey PatB, and getting smaller. How small you say. A friend of mine was visiting Australia and met a guy at a miniature tank battle. I am also into RC tanks. He mentioned my name and Steve, the Aussie, nearly fainted away when they both confirmed it was me. I had been corresponding with Steve for years. Just a bit of trivia. Small world.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What to do! near disaster strikes!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:51:46 pm »
Had a little setback this evening. After working on this @#$%^&* bow most of the day I had it on the tree and pulling about brace height(boy was she bending nice) when she blew :'(. Not as bad as it could have been :). I realized that the overlay I had over the splice earlier was a bit short and it lifted off from one end at the first bending, so I remover it. In it place I put a 10" piece of horizontal boo flooring and shaped it into a handle. Figuring that if the bow wanted to flex a little through the handle this would flex enough to hold on....WRONG >:(. The simple bevel splice gave way and seperated the lams at the handle area only. Doesn't look like other damage so I will reglue the handle area, add another, stronger overlay and see what #4 will be like.
   Cross your fingers. I'm starting to feel like Justin :o     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 10:07:56 pm »
Pat, this bow is obviously posessed by the Dev-ill. You need to tie it to a stake and burn it before it starts spinning, floating, and speaking to you in unknown tongues. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:13:24 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 11:56:21 pm »
It's the principle of the thing, now! This sucker ain't gonna beat me >:(
 She had such a pretty bend too.     Pat

Offline Jbell

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 01:52:29 am »
Now that is the spirit Pat. Somtimes ya just gotta get MEAN! Now go beat that thing into submission and take no prisoners! ;D
Justin Blunt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 02:17:09 am »
I hear you Pat. Glad I'm not the only one to dumb to know when he has been beat. Nothing like getting your but kicked by a piece of wood.  After you get her glued back up, stitch a piece of rawhide over the handle area. When it dries and shrinks there wont be any popping going on. Yes, I know it is drastic, but tough times call for drastic measures.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 07:41:58 am »
pat, maybe the bow is telling you to stick to selfbows  ;D  just kidding.  i'm proud of you and your attitude  there's nothing like skill paired with stubbornness.  i expect you'll shoot this bow at the TN classic?  ;D

DBernier

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 08:38:02 am »
PatB, I'll bring mt Ruger .41 Mag with a silver bullet to Hickory, just in case you need it.  ;D. Looking at the separation, there must have been a ton of compression on that area AND bending. Weird!  ???.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 11:32:02 am »
I will fix it!!! The problem is that I didn't support the handle splice and overstressed it too early in the process. Like I said before, She was bending so nicely. I guess I got carried away.
   Marius, This is one reason I prefer self bows. I'd rather find a bow in a piece of wood than make a bow from a few pieces of wood. I think the discovery is what thrills me not the creation.
   I feel this bow wants to be built but so far in dissatisfied with the components and the process. Everything that has gone wrong with her has been fixable. No total devistation. She wants to live and if I have my way, she will...and become a fine shooting bow. We will see!
Justin, I have already thought of a wrapped handle and rawhide would definately do the trick.     With all the attempts, failures and components that have gone into this bow, I ought to have a "name the bow contest".  The winner gets the bow, a hard hat and a protective cup! ;D     Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 11:38:19 am »
Ok I will go first Little Bit#&
Didn't wanna swear again or Justin will send me a bar of soap ;D
Lets not forget the protection Pat.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 11:46:51 am »
damn dude. oops sorry i swore.