Author Topic: A good pipe  (Read 23957 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A good pipe
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »
Dana, if you are a cow or horse.  ;D     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:39:12 pm »
It's highly toxic to humans, also-but I think most of the toxin is in the leaves/flowers. People have died from eating honey made from moutain laurel blooms. Conversely, it has been commonly used to make spoons from here, so much that some folks call it spoonwood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

orcbow

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 02:13:32 am »
Here is a pipe I made from a scrap of red pipestone that my Lakota buddy gave me. I used it when I did a little re-enacting a few years back. I used to smoke that American Spirit brand tobacco from this pipe and some times their  Pow-Wow blend. It was quite a satisfying pipe, though I have quit now for three years. The stem is bamboo or rivercane (I don't know for sure which)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:49 am »
   Hedgeapple, I made one for the hell of it, that I saw used quite a bit, when I was in the Army in the 60's.  They would take a .308, and and .556/223 shell, and make a pipe out of them.  The would cut the neck of the..308 about a 1/4 to 3/8' down from the shoulders, and then they would take the .223, and near the base they would drill a hole in one side of the case, the size of the neck of the .308 and insert the inverted neck and shoulders of the .308, and silver solder it in place, and wallah, a pipe.  Man you could use a 20mm and a Fifty cal, and you could have a communal pipe...... ;D  They would sometimes get one of the motor pool guys to get them some gas line filter brass mesh screen, and they would line the bottom of the pipe bowl with that, and they would put......uh......stuff  ::)......in the bowl, and light it, and smoke it.  8) The necked down part of the .223 was the mouth piece, or you could insert a carved piece, depending on how fancy you wanted to get.  The stuff.....some was blond, some was real dark....some stuff had stems and leaves and sometimes seeds ;D......I guess it was a ceremonial type of pipe, because one of the guys was a full Sioux, and after smoking one of those little pipes, he would turn the small trash can over and sit on his bed, with his legs crossed, and tap the bottom of the little trash can, and sit there with his eyes closed, and sing native songs, in the Sioux language.  Of course GI's being GI's could not let him sing alone, so they too after a little pipe smoking, would sit around, tapping on the trash, can, or what ever they could find, and sing along.  Not exactly the same words...... ;D  I think some of the ......stuff ::)......I saw going into those little pipes would definitely make you see visions...... :o
I have made corn cob pipes when I was a little kid, and made a little one out of a betel nut palm/Arricca palm seed kernel.  I don't smoke now, so I don't have any pipes any more.

Notice:  This is not intended to induce anyone to run out and try to make any of these pipes.  It is purely intended for informative and entertainment value only...... ;D     Honest ! O:)

Wayne

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:18 am »
Orcbow, that a cool little pipe you have there.

Stickbender, haha, good Ol' Yankee ingenuity.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:42 am »
... and they would put......uh......stuff  ::)......in the bowl, and light it, and smoke it.  8) ....  The stuff.....some was blond, some was real dark....some stuff had stems and leaves and sometimes seeds ;D.........  I think some of the ......stuff ::)......I saw going into those little pipes would definitely make you see visions...... :o

Not 100% sure of what stuff exactly you meant by... stuff...  8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 05:48:14 pm »
Well Frank....I can make a safe wager that....The Stuff  isn't no Sheesha.......... >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »
A hundred years ago there was a company somewhere around here that made pipes from Mt Laurel root burls. Maybe it wasn't the tobacco after all that killed all those smokers.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 06:26:51 pm »
Well Frank....I can make a safe wager that....The Stuff  isn't no Sheesha.......... >:D

Uuh, I see...so that stuff is...probably some other.........stuff...  :o :o :o
Frank from Germany...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
  I was gonna say while reading the description of your pipe Stickbender, that it would be hard to get much more than that blond stuff from Lebanon in the bowl. ::) 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:01:17 pm »

Eddie, actually they preferred the dark.  It all came from Turkey.  Some bigger bowls were made for the leaf and bud ......stuff.
Medicinewheel, it was good stuff. ;)  Some of the pipes were the .308 case, that was cut off about a 1/2 inch above the rim, and the primer knocked out, and a hole was drilled into the .223 case, at the base of it, and the .308 bowl was soldered to it.  I had heard, of but never seen them made with .50 cal shells.  8) Used to be a guy who made a monthly trip to Turkey.  It was just after they passed the law, that no matter if you were in the military or not, if you got caught in a foreign country with any of...... that .....Stuff  ::).....you were subject to their laws, and you would have no recourse through the American Embassy.  :o He was lucky.  He would come back with a couple little bricks of blond and dark ......stuff.  ::).....then he would proceed to cut it into little cubes.  I warned him about the new law, and he said he was not worried......right till he gets caught.....said he met his supplier, on a bridge, and never had any problems.  Like I said he was lucky.  ;)

Wayne

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
It seems many a bowyer had a mis-spent youth.  I can see the new anti . . . stuff campaign now.  "Smoking stuff will lead to whitling logs into stick bows.  haha haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »
Stuff...it's what's for breakfast!  >:D
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »
Wayne...ya notice that the Bowl on my Pipe...aint so big....it's about right for dat DARK Lebaneese STUFF...dat comes in Bricks...and rhymes  with Cash or Stash..... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »
HAHA Party on dudes  8)
Modern Day Tramp