Author Topic: points come off?  (Read 5140 times)

Offline swimbill

points come off?
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »
Lately the field points on my arrows have been coming off in the target.  These are the standard glue on steel tips, I put them on with hot melt glue.  Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have suggestions to stop it.  I am tired of digging points out of targets. ??? ???
swimbill

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: points come off?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:07:10 pm »
I have that happen alot too.  I was at a 3D shoot 2 weekends ago and someone suggested using Paraffin Wax on the tips so they come out of the target easier. Just rub the first two or three inches of the arrow tip with the wax before shooting.  Reapply as needed.   Maybe that will help.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:18:49 pm »
This happens to me especially in the winter. One thing you can do is use a thread tap and tap the inside of the point. This will help it hold on better. Some folks will drill a hole through the head and shaft and add a pin.
  Do you degrease the heads before installing. Oil is added at the time they are made to prevent rusting and that oil has to be removed. You can soak them in alcohol or acetone for a few minutes to remove the oil or like I do heat them well to burn off the oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »
I have had this problem alot. This time I drilled a bleder hole near the point to let the trapped air bubble out I also sanded the inside to rough em up and degreased them and used epoxy glue. Haven't had a chance to try them out but as soon as I do I'll let you guys know how it works,Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline swimbill

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:49:29 pm »
I never thought to degrease them,  glad to hear it is not just me having this problem.  Thanks for the advise.
swimbill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »
I usually degrease them with acetone, and often put them on with two-ton epoxy.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Pdwight

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »
Super glue holds the world together  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:03:40 pm »
 Yep ;D , you gotta degrease them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »
Degrease them....drill a pinhole in them...squirt the Hot Melt (not no cheapo Craft Store Hot Melt either) in the Tip....push on and twist...hold downward pressure till the Glue sets...this is important...because they can and will push back up....and to keep from losing them in a Styrofoam Target...now this is ElDestructo's Patented Recipe here...no stealing this Guys.......OK...... :P...I take a Liquid Shoe Polish Applicator Bottle...or an empty Absorbine Junior Bottle (my Favorite) and fill it full of Armoral...then just swab Your Arrow Shafts down good with this...let them dry...do it again....and I will Guarantee you ...that they will pull out of a Styrofoam Block like nothing else you have used....just remember to do it every other outing or so....try it and see.....but remember who taught you this Secret..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »
ive used wax for that purpose
but Mike,i like your idea even better  ;D
promise i wont ever take credit for it when people ask "what the hell ya doing there and why?"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:22:35 pm »
Tim....I started doing this with my Carbon Arrows...years ago...and it works just as nice on Wood and Cane...or Boo....as long as they have a Sealer...or finish on them for the Armorall to adhere to...they get really slick...you can pull all of them out by Hand from even the toughest 3-D Targets....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
 My friend showed me the Armorall trick a couple of years ago, I've always been too lazy to use it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tim B

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »
I used to use the hot melt glue as well because of ease in changing from field tips to broadheads but found no matter what you do when the arrow penetrates the high density foam targets it heats up the glue and the tips come off when pulling the arrow from the target. An epoxy or superglue would work much better with very few failures and you can still heat the field tips to get them off and change out to broadheads with both.

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:20:04 pm »
I have had this problem alot. This time I drilled a bleder hole near the point to let the trapped air bubble out I also sanded the inside to rough em up and degreased them and used epoxy glue. Haven't had a chance to try them out but as soon as I do I'll let you guys know how it works,Ron
I promised an update on this method. IT WORKS REALLY WELL . I have fired these arrows probably two dozen times each and none has lost it's point. This will be my method from now on.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:32 pm »
Howdy Group,

Often, when folks are talkin' huntin', the subject of arrow penetration comes up.  As you probably know, folks have found that increased arrow weight increases penetration. 
But how about trying El D.'s ArmorAl suggestion to increase arrow penetration?  It stands to reason that if ArmorAl allows the arrow to come out more easily, it should help the arrow go in more easily; greater penetration. ;)

What do you guys think?  Are we on to something here? 

All the Best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey