Author Topic: points come off?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: points come off?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:00:29 pm »
Never thought of it that way.....may just have some merit .... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »
As said, hot melt does come apart from the heat generated in hitting and penetrating a 3D.  I use a two pack adhesive (araldite) every time.  Apart from thorough degreasing, the other trick I was taught is to make a small groove along the taper cut on the shaft before adding glue.  I use the pointed end of the field pile itself to score into the wood of the taper.  Then when you press the pile on with the glue in, the excess glue and any trapped air escape via this small vent.  I havent had a pile come off since.  
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »
The metal is the weak link in hafting your points. Just about any adhesive works fine.  Concentrate on scoring your point good and degrease well. That thread tap method seems to work the best that Pat mentioned. Another problem is fitting the point to tight. Fit your point loose and leave some room for your glue or you get a dry bond. ART

douglas george

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »
I have had that happen often too!  I found that a good fix is two ton epoxy, and to lube the arrow head with wax, or even Pam.
Douglas George.  Compound guys often lube their arrows, because their carbon shafts penatrate so deep into the 3-D targets.  I have seen them loose the point, and the insert too!
Douglas George

Lombard

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 11:18:08 pm »
It has only been a problem for me when I didn't degrease them. Still lose one now and then, when I bury an arrow in a tree. No problems losing them in targets though.

Mike, just happen to have a nearly empty bottle of absorbine jr, will have to give that a go.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:21:46 pm »
Make sure your point taper is good and tight and that the point goes perfectly. Then  glue it. I seldom loose a point. I don't degrease. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline riarcher

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:29 am »
Canoe-
I used to use a PVC tube w/ foam that would be soaked with spray silicone. Ran the arrow in and out for 3-D & targets. It helped a lot most times.

But for hunting, I'd think the tissue (blood / fat / meat would lube the shaft enough for passage.  ???
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »
hmm will have to try that, and i would yous a two part epoxy that tip will never come out again lol
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
   I have tried most of this stuff myself. Its frustratin to have them points comin off or have to leave one in a 3-D cause its burried up in there. I foretunately don't have that problem any more. Not that one dosen't come off ever, its the nature of the beast. I use Duco on my Feathers, and now I use it fer my tips as well. I clean the inside of my tips with a cotton swab and alcohol before gluein. As fer the Duco cement, I find that as you apply it, it will start to dry fast and forms a outter skin fast, so I apply it as ifin I were gluein PVC pipe. I apply Duco to the arrow tip, then I apply Duco to the inside of the field point. Put em together and twist em a little and then push the point against a piece of wood to make sure they are seated well. Clean off the access glue and set er aside to cure. Works well fer me.

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat