Author Topic: Glass Butte, Oregon  (Read 16082 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Re: Glass Butte, Oregon
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 02:54:50 am »
Hey Tell,

Did Emory say what his friend used to carve that Fire Obsidian?
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »
Wow - just awesome pictures.  I love seeing pictures of the obsidian coming out of the ground.  Really amazing - thanks for posting!
1’—>1’

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 12:05:55 am »
Thanks Parnell.

Keith,

He said he used diamond tipped carving tools on a dremel.

tell
Tell Riley

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 04:37:20 pm »
I got a few more pics from 'Yokut' Mark scott the other day of the Glass buttes knapp in. thought I would post 'em.

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline aaron

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »
Just got back...
great photos everyone, and nice to meet y'all in person. here are some of my photos.
By the way, the photo labeled "Blond Bear" in an earlier post is actulally "goody" Jones- both goody and blond bear run the "Echoes in time" workshops in the willamette valley along with leland gilson...
first photo is emory working a small biface from some really sugary black and red obsidian in the blowing snow storm
second, jake about to take the first flute on a clovis of the same black and red "mick whack"- needless to say- we ran into some huge chunks of this stuff
third, a carved wood skull by terry kramer
fourth, a replica ishi point which killed a deer made by a guy who wouldn't want his name here
and last some dang slim nocks by paul who is better known as a champion slalom skateboarder

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:44:47 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:43 pm »
coupla more...
first is a bow by steve allely - a replica of a museum specimen- can't recall the details, sinew backed juniper i think
second is a fire obsidian point by jerry
last, emory stitching a danish dagger made of "sugary" black and red obsidian- i watched him make the whole thing and have tons of photos. Thanks, emory for all the 'splainin' you do- answering questions and teaching as you go.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:39:18 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 07:41:08 pm »
Great pic's guys - I'm gonna make it one of these days! And N2, you are into everything ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »
N2 and Aaron, Sorry we didn't get out there in time to meet up with you guys. Dave and I got out there Saturday afternoon.had hoped to get there sooner but made a stop at the dacite pit and I couldn't get Dave to give up on a 3 foot long cylindrical rock that we never got. He did get some good boulders for some nice blades but we had to leave the premium one and concede to ground that was holding it.
  We spent the afternoon with Emory teaching us the finner arts of dissecting the boulders and I videoed him working a very ugly chunk into a nice respectable 14" blade.  When I get some more time I'll post some of the pics I took as well

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 10:20:08 pm »

Keenan, how about putting the video on here? 8)  Wish I could've been there, but maybe next year.  How is the back?
Have you talked to a Chiropractor about the DRX9000 ?  It is fantastic.  It sure helped me.  I have the 4th and 5th disc almost non existant.  It is great for that and especially for bulging discs.

Wayne

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »
Wish I could have been there! Oh well! Next year?

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:28 am »
 Wayne, how ya doing.  I told Emory that he made your trip out west a highlight.  I have another MRI with contrast tomarrow and see the surgeon on Friday. Not going to have another surgery,,,,,,,,,at least not till after the Classic.  On the last visit he said to much damage for disk replacement but that I'm a prime target for a new development that will be out in about fifteen years ::)

I'm trying to learn how to post videos. ::) ;D ::)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
my computer took a dump on me so i am using my works computer..Keenan i hope the MRI goes all right...sound like Dave was a dacite hog  :D :D...hope you guys had fun... john