Author Topic: Small Game Points - Sticky  (Read 170296 times)

Offline Diligence

Small Game Points - Sticky
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:38 am »
When I first found PA, I did a lot of searching for information before posting questions.  I thought this sticky would be a good way to share some of what I found regarding blunts, and this post is intended to show methods of making various blunts and small game points.

All the photos are saved with the Author’s forum user name, but the descriptions below are thrown together from various posts on PA.  If you are the author and want credit, let me know and I’ll revise the post.

edit to add......I need to point out, I did not personally make all these points.  Rather, this is a collection of photos from PA, and it shows other folks hard work.  All I did was compile the data.

Cheers,
J
-------------------------
Good General Advice from Hawk:

“I hunt a lot of small game and game birds with handmade arrows. I can honestly say that although most anything tied to a shaft will kill if the shot is perfect. However the shot is not always dead on with a small and sometimes moving target. So I would encourage you young guys to shoot broad heads at everything you hunt. You can make points from wood, bone, steel, and stone, even plastics that will kill quickly and humanely. We owe it to the prey we hunt to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible. Hope this helps brothers…Hawk “

Cartridge Casing Blunts:
•   .357 casings with the primers knocked out and a small nail put in it
•   a .38 cartridge case over the end of the shaft, drilling holes through it at right angles to each other, and then epoxy pieces of welding rod through them
•   38 or 357 or a sized and cut down 30-30 brass into the pan of a powder scale and dribble small bird shot until the weight is about 150 Grains and quick pass through a propane torch flame and I have a throw away blunt.
•   38 or 357 case fits perfectly on an 11/32" shaft, .30 carbine brass fits 5/16", and with cane, .30/30 or .30/06 hulls with the neck cut off often fit.
•   homemade judos w/ .357 cases on 11/32 shafts with finishing nails for arms, then put the empty case and pieces of nail in my reloading scale and snip bits of lead into the pan till it weighed 125 grains then glued the whole works on w/ the lead inside the case, they work but as someone else said they bend and you are constantly straightening the nails.
•   .38 cases with a finish nail installed into the shaft and bent back to make a barb.
   •   Grind a notch on the nail near the center, then insert it into a hole thru the casing
   •   put the casing and nail on a powder scale and add lead shot until it all weighs 125 grains.
   •   Heat it with a propane torch, the lead melts, flowing into the primer pocket and solidifying around the notch in the nail shank, keeping it from pulling out.
   •   center punch them at three or so places to hold them onto the shaft.

Miscellaneous:
•   bleeder blades or small trade points out of steel banding material (like from construction sites) or old table knives
•   wooden lattice work (ala Ishi)
•   Abenaki-Penobscot style wooden blunts (carved into the shaft or added)
•   blunts from horn, or bone
•   hand forged sickle points (wicked!)
•   field points from “duplex” nails with the point cut off and brazing material added for weight (see Little John Photo)
•   use a 16 penny nail, braze a glob of brass onto head of nail and grind to shape while spinning with electric drill. About 125 grains.
•   16D double headed (or duplex) nails.  Grind off the primary head to form a point, the secondary head abuts the end of the shaft. The finished point came out to    145 grains at about  2-1/2" long
•    concrete nail points (see photo from Welch2)

Nutters:
•   Often considered one of the best small game points is the "nutter"
   •   Simply thread a 3/8" hex nut on the taper at the point end of your shaft and add a bit of super glue just for giggles. Not very primitive but very effective!
   •   The nut will help keep the arrow from burrowing under the grass or leaves somewhat, but not like a judo or similar homemade point.
   •   Try to find the largest(OD) 3/8" nut you can or maybe even a wing nut
•   Use two 3/8" nuts, and they weigh 160 grains, just like my field points
•   From Minuteman:
   •   Use toothed washers (see photo) which grabs the grass and keeps the arrow from snaking underneath and getting buried.
   •   It'll stand the arrow up good in taller grass and makes an awful tearing sound when it hits stuff.
   •   Another cool thing is that with the larger nut , two toothed washers and the 1- 1/4" drywall screw it brings the weight up closer to a field point
   •   The nut is just a regular 5/16" nylon bushing nut, taper the tip of the arrow a little until it screws on tight.
   •   Then pilot a hole for the drywall screw, slip the washers onto the screw and insert it into the end of the shaft
   •   The little washer keeps the larger one centered on the screw.
   •   very little tapering that needs to be done - Just enough to get the threads started .

Presenting the TARANTULA – current “King of Blunts”
Thanks to Nomadic Pirate:
The history taken from one of Manny’s posts:
•   The first mongoose I killed was with a Judo and the head made a bloody mess of the poor critter and didn't even killed it.
•   then I started using all kinds of different points, the Adder behind a field point, blunts, broad heads, casings, tiger claw, and Judo again, but none of them covered all the angles
   •   the mongoose is a tough little bugger and they took all my arrows down the holes with them, I was hitting lots of them but never retrieving one.
•   I tried HTM blunts and 3/8" hex heads, and bingo, I was killing them on the spot, the only problem was that when I missed most of the time was a lost arrow.
   •   Some did good work by killing by shock, but not having the capability to stop themselves so they where easily lost. The other ones would either leave a screaming animal with a gory mess, or have the critter run away with the arrow never to be seen again
•   I had these blunts at the house that had real bad flight characteristics so I never used them, one day I was looking at one, and I “saw” it, like when you look at a tree and see the bow inside.
•   So the TARANTULA was born, this head has all the best characteristics for a small game stumping head in one
   •   the design slows it down in flight, almost working as a flu-flu losing velocity after 20 yards or so
   •   It's unbreakable, cheap, and very easy on wood shafting in rocky terrain
   •   delivering awesome shocking power that kills small game even with marginal hits
   •   incomparable stopping quality in tall grass
   •   this head is very back quiver friendly

The How To:
•   Start with a bludgeon small game blunt
•   get some casings or regular steel blunts
•   with a knife cut out the pie shaped wedges and bingo you have the TARANTULA
•   match it in weight to your broad heads
   •   ½ of a 38 casing will give you a 125gr
   •   full 38 casing 150gr
   •   100gr steel blunt 190gr
•   you can even add a bleeder blade, or a nail, or a wood screw thru the middle before putting the head over the blunt or 38 casing...now that’s flexibility

Now on to the photos:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:29:55 pm by jackcrafty »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Diligence

Re: Small Game Points - Sticky
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:40 am »
more photos

edited to add a link to RAWHIDE points....very interesting!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23169.0.html

Edit to add a link to Alligator Gar Fish scale arrowhead

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22292.0.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:19:02 am by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:59 am »
more photos

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:06:05 am »
more photos which show the Tarantula by Nomadic Pirate

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:52:23 am by Diligence »

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:08:02 am »
more photos

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:11:31 am by Diligence »

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:09:22 am »
Editted to add broad head templates from MadCrow....

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:03:41 am by Diligence »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:17:31 am »
Thanks Jaye. Lots of good information compiled here.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:39:28 am »
AWESOME!!! Thanks for compiling this!!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cromm

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:54 am »
Great info.
Should show anyone that you can make a blunt arrow head out of things from home and not have to buy them in.
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:55:42 pm »
Very Nice! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:51 pm »
Good God man, what an arsenal !!! You have a lot of time involved there. Alot of great tips. Thanks for sharing.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Cromm

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:50:25 am »
I love this idea. I wonder if we could do the same for quivers as well??
I always see quivers that I think one day I will make one of them, then forget who made it or what part of the site that I saw it???
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

bowkee

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 04:10:58 am »
ikes! I like the crea :)tivity :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »
 Just saw this. You did good, Jaye.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »
Wow nice pileOheads  Im going to try a few this year!

Thanks,

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill