Author Topic: Small Game Points - Sticky  (Read 170297 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Small Game Points - Sticky
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:29 am »
Young Bowyer - I did a bit of a how-to here if you want more details:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25724.0.html

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
Thanks man those look nice, never tried the duct tape fletchings  :) only seen it on wilderness outfitters channel on youtube gonna make some stumpers now
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Barrage

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »
Deer antler, with bike spokes (or nails) glued in to act like judo points.  I use the ones with duplex nails on bamboo arrows.  With wood arrows I just drill out the antler.
Travis

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:38 am »
barrage-man, i like those antler blunts. thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

TurtleCreek

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:58 am »
Very interesting assortment and great ideas, thanks for sharing

Offline mitch

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:18:46 am »
Anybody got any pics of fishing arrows? ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:55:31 pm by mitch »
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
Someone asked me to post these...

3" pieces of all-thread, sharpened on one end, tapered to fit in the boo shaft on the other end, drilled a hole at an angle to the tip and bent a finish nail through it. then ground the threads off the center " and drilled a hole for the string to tie on.

You can kinda see the angle of the nail and the center holes. I havent tried them but I'm not too confident in the design...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline outdoorX05

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:40 pm »
i know most of these heads are home made but my and dad like to take a glue on field point and flatten it down to the first step with a file then cut a grove straight down the center and insert a small triangle of blanding steel and fix it with JB weld. make sure to have to point of the banding steel flush with the tip of the point.  This way when you hit a squirrel head cuts right through and wont allow for him to pull it out. but also if you hit a tree limb high up your arrows tend to bounce out and just fall down to you. we have tried alot of diffrent configurations but this works the best so far. our bows are tween 50 and 60 lbs. if you are worried about punching through a squirrel with a lighter bow just make the blade channel smaller forcing the triangle more towards the tip of the point.
hunting season is getting close. time to trade in the girl friend for the bow

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10:25 pm »
I realise this is an old post but id love to make the tarantula some how without purchasing anything
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »
Any chance to get this post updated?  There are pics that do not open and I'm interested in the fishing heads.  Thx!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:28 am »
Any chance to get this post updated?  There are pics that do not open and I'm interested in the fishing heads.  Thx!
I second this, many pics do not work.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline vyadha

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:19 am »
Ive been having a blast bunny hunting. Sometimes though my arrow breaks on pass throughs and/or misses. Going for the tarantula!

Offline Wiley

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 03:17:54 pm »
Does this count? just messing about with some fatwood. Personally I think that if I hit a small game animal with this point, it would do the job. The 45 degree grain running through it probably isn't the most ideal way for it to be running. The white rings are much softer. Perpendicular and it could be manipulated into growth rings.

Pretty amazingly tough stuff though. I can not break it with bare hands. It could be worked down to being cleaner and smoother but I felt I had it close enough to take some pictures of it.

I think this stuff could make some pretty acceptable blunt or sharp points. If nothing else they will get a fire started when you can't find any dry kindling.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »
I use1/2" PEX plugs, from the plumbing store.  They cost about $0.40 each, and slip right on the shaft.   I also cut the head off a 3/8" bolt and chucked it in my redneck lathe (drill clamped in a vise) and spun it while filing down the threads until I could screw the PEX plug on snugly.  Then I mount the plug and spin that while I file the edge sharp.  When you are done, it looks kinda like a trumpet, with a flat leading surface and a sharp gouging edge all around.

Theswe work AMAZINGLY on rabbits and grouse.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 02:17:28 am »
Post some pics Springbuck.  We'd love to see what you've made!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!