Author Topic: $1.50 Stumper (Updated)  (Read 15539 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
$1.50 Stumper (Updated)
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:40 am »
I wanted to see if I could make some cheap-ass stumpers so I can stop using (and losing) my good ones.  I bought some 3/8 poplar dowels for about $1.00 each, and got some of these whatchamacallit nuts for heads.  I just cut them to length, screwed the nuts on, and filed/sanded a crude knock on the other end.  This one was just an experiment because I wasn't sure how durable the poplar would be, so I cheaped out and used duct tape for fletching.  Seems to have done the trick.  I punished the hell out of this thing and it's holding up so far, so I'll probably proceed with the other 11. 

18 bucks for a dozen stumpin arrows... not bad!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:12:22 am by Cameroo »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: $1.50 Stumper
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:01 am »
that'll work ! poplar is actually a good arrow wood and often overlooked by the PO cedar shooters
get you some and compress them to 11/32 and i think you will be surprised

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »
If you decide you like the concept, American Woodcrafters has poplar and birch for around $25.00/100. Even with culls, that's pretty cheap shootin'.

Good job on that arrow, BTW. Those will serve you well.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:39 pm »
   real   cool!!!!!!!!!!   could  you  show  how  to  fletch????   that  could  be  a  huge  money  saver!!!!!   I  love  this  place  JEFFW

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:21 am »
Nice for the price.  I've not tried Ductape fletching, looks like it might jump like vanes off the shelf.  Had any problems?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:28:11 am »
 :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:08 am »
So here's a little more detail on how I made these.  It's gonna be pretty pic-heavy because I figured the pictures would explain it better than I can.

I start by flexing the dowel to find where the spine is the weakest, and then stick it in the vice with the side that flexes the most pointing vertically, so when I cut the knock, the stiff sides will be parallel to the bow.  I cut into the end with a hacksaw about 1/4" down.

Then I use a thin strip of emery cloth twisted up to open the slot a bit.  Have your bow nearby to test fit it on the serving.  You want it just tight enough to stay on the string

Then I take it over to the belt sander and taper the end just a bit.  This could be done with sand paper, I just wanted to speed up the process.

With a little bit of touch-up sanding, I get this.

Next I cut the shaft to length.  The shaft needs a slight taper on the head-end, just to get the threads started on the acorn nut.  I put the nut in the vice and start turning the shaft in, trying to keep it threading on as straight as possible.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:25:16 am by Cameroo »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:27:00 am »
For the duct tape fletching, I tear off a strip a little over 15 inches (for three 5 inch fletches), lay down on a piece of wax paper, and cut it into 5 inch strips with a straight-edge and knife.

Next, I cut a piece of wax paper a little over 5 inches long.  You need at least one of the 5 inch sides to be straight.  Pull one of the 5 inch pieces off the wax paper and lay it down sticky-side up.  Now I take the piece of paper I just cut, and lay it along the bottom edge of the tape.  I just eyeball it, but I imagine it's just under 1/4" on the tape.

Now carfully fold the tape over onto itself, making sure the long edges line up together.

Now I draw the outline of the fletch onto the tape and cut it off.  You can use whatever pattern you prefer, just make sure the taper ends up at the edge of the wax paper, like this.

Next, I lay the shaft down, and mark where the fletch will be layed down.  You can see by the marks, there's a slight helical twist.  It's a good idea to start with the cock feather, which will be perpendicular to the nock.  I wasn't paying attention here and made the first one parallel to the knock, but it worked out ok.

Now, peel the tape open where the wax paper sits in between the layers.

Using the marks on the dowel, place the tape on as straight as you can.

Rub the tape well on the shaft once it's in place, then carefully peel of the wax paper from the other side, and rub it down good to get a good stick.

Proceed with the next fletch, laying it down along the edge of the first one.

Finish it off the same way with the third fletch.  With a little bit of trial and error on how much tape you use for the "flaps", you can get them spaced out symmetrically without the tape overlapping.  And there you have it.  Poor mans fletching.  It may not be the most durable, but works in a pinch.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:28:29 am »
Really cool ideas, the acorn nut idea is cheap and makes a perfect blunt and I also like the twisted emory cloth trick. thanks
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:55 am »
Nice for the price.  I've not tried Ductape fletching, looks like it might jump like vanes off the shelf.  Had any problems?

I haven't noticed any problems, but I'm no expert.  They seem to work fine for their intended purpose, which is blasting milk jugs in the back yard.  I wouldn't use them for competitions or anything ;)

JustinNC

Re: $1.50 Stumper (Updated)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 11:04:21 am »
I love it!

Offline scattershot

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »
Thanks for the pics and the tip about the twisted emery cloth. great job!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »
Awesome build-along!  I was wondering how you built those fletches!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:02 pm »
   Thanks!!!!!!  really  cool,,,  you  could  have  a  1\2 doz fletches folded  and papered  in  your  quiver  and repair in the  woods????  heck  a  doz  arrows  20  shots each  before  re-taping 240 shots  sounds  even  better  to  me  now!!!!  thanks  a  bunch!!!   JEFFW

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »
Very nice ideas! I like the way you cut the self nocks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!