Author Topic: Wigwam Time Again  (Read 101801 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Wigwam Time Again
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:54 am »
rebuilding this one in a different spot and then replacing it with a reed house. bark on this one is fine but the frame let go inside and out, so i wont have to harvest bark for this one. started gathering poles and peeling and burnin the ends wednesday. have 20 prepped and will need about 30 more for the bark wigwam. the reed one will take about 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923PkFv2Mwk

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:00:11 am by jackcrafty »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

Re: wigwam time again
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:03:26 am »
Jamie, You  seem to have lots of energy. Do you every work man! ;D  Cool  stuff you do up there. ;)

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:11 pm »
Work sucks right now tim and this is a paying gig so I aint complaining. =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:03:28 pm »
did you just say your getting paid to do that? 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »
Jamie, your skills are what most wanna be outdoor survivalist only dream of.  Says allot that you actually get payed to do such neat stuff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »
That is my kind of paying gig.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline jamie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »
these are being built for a museum out here. paying gigs arent that often. id do this for free and be happy with it too

waterbury, ct

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »
i dont mind being a mechanic, but thats a great job!  maybe i can do something like that for my museum!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »
Jamie, Was wondering how well wigwam hold up to heavy snow cover, I guess if I lived in one full time just shovel off wet heavy snow We had real lot of snow here with out any breaks an had a lot of roofs cave in, a lot of engineered hi tech trusses turned to splinters, just wondered if you did anything special to the wigwam or the long house. Later Bob

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:09 am »
Very cool, I want to check this out sometime.  I'm glad to see it didn't float away with all that rain. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:14:26 am »
rick, we can run up there when you come up. 15 min from the club

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:54 am »
bob although the insides would of been much better insulated than these the heat that pours out of these things would of kept melting the snow. the arch design of these is also incredibly strong. i walk all over the tops of these when im working on them. the phragmites house i have to do on the other hand was listing and one heavy snow crushed it. im sure they would of done other things to protect their home too.

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:02 am »
Jamie, ive said it before and im gonna say it again.

you definatly have some ancient mojo in you.
youve got skills that most modern folks cant even imagine anymore.
when i buy my place in the country,are you gonna come up and  show me how to make one  ;D
thats way cool.

when we were in Va. last fall we stopped at an "indian village",well a modern replica of one.
they had several reed houses,very cool.the people that worked there playing parts as natives were quit knowledible about all of the
structure and the reasons behind why they used what they used.they even had a fence made that strecthed around the entire village.
it was made from saplings placed in the ground every so many feet,then other smaller saplings were woven inbetween the poles.it made a very sturdy solid
fence.they said it was not only to help prevent the elements from the camp but also for defensive reasons.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »
rick, we can run up there when you come up. 15 min from the club
;D 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 08:23:46 am »
Id love to see it too, Jamie. Your work is excellent. Looks like fun to live in, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts