Author Topic: Wigwam Time Again  (Read 101808 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Wigwam Time Again
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 08:28:30 am »
Dane a few people are coming to the club april 24th for a little pre-event gathering you're more than welcome to come down
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:50:11 am by jackcrafty »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: wigwam time again
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:23 pm »
Looking forward to it.  It's kind of like a "Can't make it to TN Classic" ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »
Dane a few people are coming to the club april 24th for a little pre-event gathering you're more than welcome to come down

Thanks so much for the offer, but I dont think I can fit it in on that date right now.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jamie

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:01 am »
inner frame is done. need to tear down the wigwam on the left and im gonna use that bark to cover this lodge. at the moment this frame is tied together with sisal twine. i have the material to tie it now, so have to retie every union again.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline uwe

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:18 pm »
Looks like a historic campside Jamie. Fill it with life!
Regards Uwe

Offline Deo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:16:35 am »
That is awesome, I would love to live in one for awhile. I have slept a couple months in a cedar bark tipi and round hose and loved every minute of it. It was in the summer months in Shasta california. I slept on a tule mat and with a fire next to me i was so coooozy, i was out before i knew what hit me. The cedar bark repelled water wonderfully and if it leaked you just adjusted the cedar. It made me whish i was born about 600 years ago. My friend and Elder who built these told me that Even when it was cold out side it was very toasty inside, he had to strip down. When you burned manzinita there is almost no smoke and popping of the wood very comfortable.

Offline jamie

Re: wigwam time again (more pics)
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 09:10:17 am »
thanks guys. these are amazing dwellings. simple and efficient. i spent a few blustery miserable winter nights being very comfortable in these. i did a lot more work this week on them but it was mostly tearing down the old one and preparing more poles for the next two. its a lot of work to peal 16ft poles when the bark isnt jumping off. i have about half of what i need at the moment for poles. need 40 more. the museum decided they wanted 2 more so i will finish this one. then the other two they want incomplete so they can show the stages of how the buildings are done. the first will be just an inner frame . the second will be the fram and first row of bark. then the completed building. they use them for their education programs. heres a couple more pics. if anybody is on facebook they can see video of some of the work being done at the "instiute for american indian studies" fan page. im going to try to get some of the videos put up on youtube.

pealing more poles!!!!!!!!!!!

you can see the old rotted frame on the right and the first row of bark on the new frame.

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
Very cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this in person.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »
Jamie: That is just some cool kimshee ;D. Soo are you fellers gonna make it to the classic?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
Not planning on making it down. But ya never know I may just say .... It

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 10:52:35 pm »
Say it, say it - I wanna meet you guys ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

Re: wigwam time again (finished pics)
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 07:21:59 am »
heres the finished piece. 42 hrs of work. 10'x12' ' 7'6" high. frame is hophornbeam saplings and the bark is tulip. i would say that more than half of the labor was peeling the poles for the frame. when the bark isnt slipping it is a major time consumer peeling every damn pole.

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »
WOW!  :)

Fascinating... as always!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
thanks pat. burned the first fire a couple hrs ago

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »
Job well done! I might like to have one of those, hmm...