Author Topic: Wigwam Time Again  (Read 101810 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: wigwam time again
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:29 pm »
NICE, any more of those HHB saplings around?  I'm thinking stone age bow attempt #2 ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:35 am »
Rick if ya need a prop for your boat they'll work. They twist bad. Fly me down paul and we'll build one =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »
I might have enough of those frequent flyer smiles out there ;D. But no tulip, maybe oak or ash would work. Man, I'd love to be a neanderthal for a week or two ;) ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:50 am »
paul next time you get shipped to the north east for work let me now. we'll drag our knuckles for a bit.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »
Jamie:
You say those HHB saplings twist bad when made into self bows?

I have a HHB sapling picked out for a stone carved bow.  Looks like I may need to find something else.

What would you reccomend?

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline jamie

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »
David these were twisted. If you can find one with good grain by all means use it. It works great. If it has twisted grain I use it for the frame and if it is straight grained I leave it for bowwood

waterbury, ct

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:39 pm »
10-4
The one I have found is very straight grained.
Hope to make an " all stone tool " hunting set up for this winter.

Already have 24 canes cut.  Can cut a cane down in 10 seconds with a thin, weather flaked limestone rock "saw".
Have two crude stone hand axes.  One is a untouched, pointed, dolomite limestone rock the other is also dolomite and has had a bit of crude touch up work.

Hope to pick up knapping lessons at the classic so I can make my own " hunt worthey " stone heads.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Jake Levi

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
That looks great Jamie, I am a tipi dweller but appreciate wigwams too.

What museum is that?

What is the H Frame back and between the two lodges?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:07 am »
That's just awesome, Jamie. I've always wanted to build me one of those, and I'd like to try one of those Cherokee wattle-and-daub houses, too. What did you do the lashing with?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 12:25:59 pm »
jack the museum is the institute for american indian studies in washington , ct. small research and education group i do a lot of reproduction work for. the h frame is a tower that children would of sat in to scare away critters that would want to eat the garden. post some pics of your tp setup. like to see it.

thanks steve i used rattan for the tieing strips this time because i started before the bark was slipping. normally i would use elm hickory or basswood. basswood being the preferred choice. got some more pics i'll post later. i have two more frames up that are going to be used to show how the structures are built. one will be a frame the next will be have covered with bark and the third is the already finished structure. then i move on to redoing the roof of the longhouse. we used old bark on the roof and it needs to be replaced with new stuff to give the buiulding a more complete look. peace and thanks again.

waterbury, ct

Jake Levi

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »
Hi Jamie

I'm going to have it set up in 2 weeks in ND, and mid June taking it down to SD to Eagle Butte for a week long bowyers project with Lakota youth, I'll be taking a number of pics there too,  that and the Lame Deer 4th of July pow wow and the Crow Festival in august are full dress events. I dont have a tripod for the weapons etc but two with a rack between them.  Will have about six lances as we hope to get a lance competition at the Crow Festival to go with mounted archery.

Offline Kolton

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:04 pm »
very awsome wigwam

Kolton

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 05:28:58 pm »
WOW!!
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline jamie

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:21 am »
thank you guys

waterbury, ct

HatchA

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »
Nice set-up you have there Jamie.  What's the diameter of the fire-pit and the seats around it?  I'm planning on building something like that out my back garden for BBQ's and general revelry and merriment.