Author Topic: composites  (Read 60489 times)

Offline sonny

Re: composites
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:17 pm »
James, can you tell us if the hide glue you're using is commercially available ??
send me a PM if you don't want to post it here.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »
i now know what a sinewed backed bow is suppose to look like.  you da master!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2010, 10:38:54 am »
sonny the fish glue im now trying out ,i get from europe,, i cost 165.00 for 400 gm ,also i had to wait three months to get it,,if you or anyone  is intrested pm me for the info

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010, 11:29:27 am »
James, those are looking pretty durn good to be made by an old ugly backwoods Parker. That's about the slickest looking sinew job I've ever seen. Mine usually look like a backlash from a baitcasting reel randomly stuck to a piece of wood by a kindergartner. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »
                                           You been coping my Sinew Work again Steve.......... :P

Mine resembles a ball of Nightcrawlers...when you pull em out of the Bait Can....... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:16 am »
is that second bow with the sinew your plains style hornbow?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline barney

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 05:18:41 am »
Thanks for the e-mail, Robustus. I would have replied earlier but have been away for a bit. I think I’ve figured how you do it now from looking on the Atarn site.

Regards,

Barney

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 11:59:15 pm »
chris that is the indian bow ,the sinew is really looking good,i just finished putting a couple of glazing coats of glue on it tonight..ill post pics thursday ,to let you see how its going....james

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2010, 02:27:00 am »
James, is that meant NA Indian? does that bow have a core, or just horn? And what horn did you use??
I'd be really interested in details of that particular one!
Frank from Germany...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »
chris that is the indian bow ,the sinew is really looking good,i just finished putting a couple of glazing coats of glue on it tonight..ill post pics thursday ,to let you see how its going....james

Glazing coats?  That's a new one on me, is it something you do when you intend to add more sinew layers after these dry?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2010, 09:43:44 pm »
glazing coats are put on after the sinew is made as blemish free as possible,,its a super hot coat of very thin hide glue,,if the surface is done correctly it will be as smoothas glass,so when and if you are birch barking the back ,the bark will not reflect any uneven surfaces or voids...and mirror image it to the surface of the bark

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:04 am »
Interesting, you must be laying the sinew almost a thread at a time to make it so perfect.  So far I've been a lot lazier than that, and the end result looks it.  Once it's covered in snakeskin it's my secret though.  You've done beautiful work.  George
St Paul, TX

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2010, 05:02:38 pm »
frank the sinewed bow is a north american style,osage with steer horn on the belly.im  46 : from tip to tip.. sinew nocks,,i will most likely paint over the sinew back after shooting the bow in..im forcasting the bow to come out around 60 + # @ 26" or more of draw... it has two layers if sinew combined back and leg tendons..after drying it should be around a heavy 1/4 to 5/16 inch thick backing....

george im putting the sinew on in thick bundles,, with the addition of some fish bladder glue added to the pearl glue the work time has lengthened to around 3 min per bundle.. i still have to move quite fast though,once the jelling of the glue sets in its over as far as movment of the strands,,if the strands are straight in the bundles before their dipped in glue it is far easier to lay them down straight when going to the bow..............james

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2010, 05:31:30 pm »
after second layer and several coats of glue glazing

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2010, 02:35:24 am »
James, I really would love to see pictures from the belly side of this one, since I'm awaiting some pieces of mountain maple to make one like those!
Again: that is one fantastic sinew job there!!!
Frank from Germany...