Author Topic: 100% Abo birdpoint....  (Read 3051 times)

Offline billy

100% Abo birdpoint....
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:38:19 am »
Here's a little bird point I made with totally abo tools.  No copper flakers or horeshoe nail notchers were used to make this point....only bone and antler. This goes to show ya what you can do with abo tools if you are very careful and set up your platforms just right.   

This is basically a replicated Eastgate point used by the northern Paiute in Oregon and Nevada.  It's made from a small, thin flake of dacite.  It's really sharp and pretty thin.  The barbs are really delicate so I worked very slowly and carefully so I didn't break them off.  But what still blows my mind is that I've seen some original Eastgate points that are much thinner than this point...almost paper thin....and they're still in one piece.  How those Paiutes were able to make such delicate and thin points without breaking them is something I still can't figure out. 

Just goes to show you that even as "advanced" as we are, we still cannot equal the skill of people we consider "primitive".

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline bryan irwin

Re: 100% Abo birdpoint....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:49:39 am »
cool little point
bryan irwin

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:03:31 am »
that is really great billy...i would snap that in my hand....SO,how did you hold that guy....great work with the abo tools...john

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:45 am »
excellent billy. bill have you tried bone . ive been working with bone a lot on the detail work and notching and love it. especially the ulna bone from a deers leg.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:20:26 am »
Sweet point billy, and I thought it was a Gunter
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:25 am »
Awesome point Billy! I'm using an deer ulna for notching and it seems to help, but need more practice. Thanks for sharing

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:30 am »
 Sweet little point, Billy. Gator jaw bone works real good also. It's tough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:19 pm »
cool little point Billy.

Your statement about the Paiutes making them so thin made me wonder if they had the same feeling of accomplishment when they completed a point as you seem to have when you completed that one.......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:39:23 pm »
 Nice point Billy, Thats about as nice of abo bird point as it gets. ;)

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:31:21 pm »
That is a really cool looking little point.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:34:13 pm »
i bet they did, but if they werent hunting, i bet they were making flakes.  gotta keep the ammo stores high!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »
Nice bird point!  I like making the small ones but dont know what to do with them all.  Any ideas?

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:18 pm »
Stick something with them. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
LOL I have about a hundred birdy points I am starting to flush them down the toilet to make room for new ones!  I am making some turkey and some small game arrows I might put a few sharpies in and the rest flu flu with blunt tips!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »
All I can say is WOW. That is an amazing point. I would break those way to easy.

Great job.

Tell
Tell Riley