Author Topic: Need UR opinion  (Read 2053 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Need UR opinion
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:18:27 pm »
Hi guys need ur opinion on size and shape of point do u think works best for taking big game? ??? I make many different kinds and sizes but I have not yet took big game with a stone head!  Ive taken deer with metal broadheads and have a good idea whats a good range but just would like a second opinion!  Thanks guys for your help!!!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline sailordad

Re: Need UR opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:22 pm »
size would depend on what your area requires  as being legal
where i am at it doesnt matter what the size of "stone" head is,its still illegal to use
that sucks,cause i make some nice heads that will never ever get to see game,some never even will get to se a shaft
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:10 pm »
 Here's what I'm using. I like simple, triangle points.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:26 pm »
Russ, Opinions are like -------- everybodys got one :D Hears mine an I'm no expert. In Penna. we have to be at least 7/8" wide an no longer than 3" an non barbed. The points that mostly fits this critera is a Ishi type point. I honestly think that a narrower point would work better. Another important think to consider no matter what type of point you decide on is the transistion from point to shaft. Bases need to be thin to achieve this an your hafting should blend into your shaft.  I like the 3 to 1 ratio on metal points, so I guess that could be a starting place. Good Luck , Bob

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:49 pm »
I started with a basic stemmed point made from obsidion.  I used cane shafts and ended the shaft at the top of the stem.  I had two break at the top of the stem where the shaft ended.  One dead hog, one lost hog.  I also killed a small buck with that but couldn't find the arrow.  I switched to a side notch.  I have killed a deer and two hogs with no problems.  I made some Dalton style points for some people to use, several people have killed critters and no one has reported anything lost due to breakage of the point.  The side notched and the Daltons were wider than the shaft for a little more strength.  I also switched to chert, I prefer Texas cherts but I also use Kentucky Blue, hornstone, and Buffalo River.  Bill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:36 am »
i pretty much use a notched triangle that makes legal width. they are as small as i can get em and keep them legal they usually only weigh in around 50-60 grains
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:03:13 am »
Cool thanks guys and some nice points posted I like the simple side notched triangle myself! 

CHEERS!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:18:13 pm »
Side-notched triangle is what I make for hunting, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:09 am »
Ive gone and made some legal sized turkey tails and they look sweet on a shaft I will get a few pics here shortly Im at work right now!