Author Topic: Thanks Ryan  (Read 56297 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Thanks Ryan
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:16:22 pm »
Well I think we finely got it.We got it hot with steam and it worked just like you said it would.
I think there was 5/6 done this weekend. ;D
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AndrewS

Re: Thanks Ryan
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:24:32 pm »
Wow! :o

That is, what from now we call a Recurve. ;D

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:49:28 pm »
can't wait to see a full draw pic on that bow!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:53:06 pm »
Now that's a recurve :o I don't think I've ever seen that much curve on a bow. Pappy, don't carry that bow like that around here. Even out of season its not safe ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:58:34 pm »
I was going to make a comment about a big old Texas Longhorn but you took all the fun out of it for me Pappy.  :'( Now I'll have to think of something else to say.  Are you going to leave that sucker or deflex it?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:15:51 pm »
 Hey Pappy, I seen some of your reletives out in the field while I was there in Texas over the weekend.....At least I think they were related cause the horns looked just the same......lol,,,,
 Please tell me that is a stack of firewood in the background and not a stack of staves,,,,,,,,LOl,,,,,Keenan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:20:39 pm by Bornagainprimitive »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:33:28 pm »
Hay Keenan:
That in the background is firewood.  I have seen their stack of staves... It is much much bigger!!!!  No kidding

Pappy:  I am going to bring an Osage stave to the classic to have recurved like that.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:42:43 pm »
Yes them are stave's,but ridge is right we have a stack muck bigger than that.Them are just kind of the culls,just kidding. ;D We don't plane on deflexing them,this is Ryano method of building a recurve so when he gets down in May he is going to have to show us a thing or 3 about how in the world you go about tillering them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 02:11:08 pm »

Pappy, careful...if Ryan hears we're going to put him to work, he may not come down! ;D

I tried to copy the forms as closely as I could from pictures Ryan had posted on a build along he did. Made both a working recurve form and a static recurve form. We bent three bows across the working recurve and also one static this weekend. Planning on bending several more this next weekend. Pretty cool the first time to see that wood take such an extreme bend without going...snap!

I tried to get Pappy to place a caption on one of those pictures..."how many rednecks does it take to recurve a bow!". ;D

It was a lot of fun, now just to learn the best way to tiller them. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 02:16:08 pm »
greg, how many rednecks will it take to brace that beast for the first time?  you guys are having way to much fun  ;D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 02:27:21 pm »

Dustybaer,
We'll definitely be using a bow stringer getting it to brace. Hopefullly I'll be the only redneck required for that, but who knows? ;D

I'm hoping Ryan or whoever with experience will get in on this string and give us some good advice! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »
Yep Ryan is the master at those curves.

can't wait to see what you get out of this one Pappy ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 05:40:51 pm »
LoL.... :-[  :D Your welcome guys but dont thank me yet, thank me when you got a shooter out it! 
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 05:46:58 pm »
Thats how all my bows look.  But they are facing the other direction.

Will be interested to see this bow demo-tillered.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »
I was just looking at your pictures and it looks like you already cut your handle narrow, I have found it better to leave it full width untill you get the bow tillered.  I had a problem once with one that was narrowed in the handle before tillering. I had it clamped in the vise pulling on the tip to get it to tillered to brace and the limb was to stiff and it broke right where the fade tapered into the handle. The one's you already did should be ok just be careful to get the outer part of the limb working before you pull on it to hard. Good luck! I'll be happy to help you guys if I can while I'm down there. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....