Author Topic: Thanks Ryan  (Read 55779 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Thanks Ryan
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 10:37:51 pm »

Thanks Badger and Ryan, we'll keep your recommendations in mind when we get ready to tackle one of these.

Oh yeah, how long after steaming should we wait until we start tillering? :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 11:20:17 pm »
I'd give it a week or so in a warm dry envirment. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:21 am »
Thanks guys,we will work through it,Ryan I think I will try one after brace and let yall know how it works.JD I think it will if we can get a string on it. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:08 am »
I'm not trying to argue, so don't get the wrong impression.  Just curious if most of the recurve is going to pull out or if the working section is going to be that short? Also if that is a copy of Ryan's form, why is it so different? Wouldn't it be better to use a smaller radius and leave a little more recurve in it? Just trying to stimulate conversation and learn something.  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 11:20:56 am »
I am assuming justin that a lot of it will pull out.We will let you know when we get one tillered.
I know some of it comes out when I bend backset in them and not as much when I turn up the tips. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 11:27:56 am »
I think that this is the bow that Ryan used that shape form on:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 11:40:10 am »
Looks like to me it held a lot of it.I don't expect it to hold it all anyway.I have never bent one that radical but from what I have seen on other bends on all wood bows it will hold about 1/2 of what
you put in them maybe a little more.That is why when I straighten one I go more than it needs and it will come out about where you want it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:19 pm »
Justin, we and Ryan have two different forms...one for working recurve and one for static recurve. I attempted to match them as close as I could from some dimensioning Ryan had posted, and visually looking at the forms and comparing the arc's. So far we've only used the static recurve form on one bow, and Pappy wasn't there with his camera to take pictures of that bow. All the pictures you've seen thus far from us were of a bow off the working recurve form. The picture of Ryan's bow you posted was of a static recurve I'm pretty sure. Look at how the tips are thick for 6" or so.

Beyond that, I probably can't answer much and Ryan will have to jump in here. We havn't experienced tillering one of these jewels yet. ;D
Greg

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 04:32:33 pm »
Yea, I understand now that Hillbilly posted the other pictures.  I was confused for a minute, but I am going to blame that on Ryan for posting the wrong recurve.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 10:04:37 am »
Justin, actually I posted both because he said they were doing both working and static. Look again at the pictures they are labeled "static" and" Working"  ;D

As I said earlier you lose a lot of the reflex, what length did you make the blanks ?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 10:46:37 am »
Ryan ,They are 64-66 for the most part.There may be a 62 in the bunch.I am going to have mine ready to bend by the weekend so I am anxious to see how it will work out.I expected to loose a lot of it as I have said you always loose close to half when you straighting one so I don't see the difference only maybe a little more stress.If they hold as much as yours I will be very pleased. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 10:54:07 am »
At those lengths for your draw it will probally hold more reflex than mine. You might want to consider cutting down the 66"er I'm afraid it might shake your teeth out. Ive never tried that design on a longer bow. All of mine have been 58"ers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 11:40:48 am »
I was thinking about that on mine at least,Now I will  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:58 pm »
Justin, I am seeing it the same way you are, and just as you said, not trying to influence anything just enjoying the ride here. I would be curious as to the mass on a bow like this, I used to build quite a few of them and had to keep them pretty wide to hold the tip set back. Mark St Louis has probably built more highly reflexed recurves than anyone I know of kind of wondering what his thoughts are on the length here. I just did a mass projection with 12" reflex and it is asking for like 27 oz for a 60# bow, Loosing half that reflex would bring it down to about 23 oz. Steve

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »

You guys bring up a good point on the bow length. We were so fired up about getting them to recurve on the form that we didn't give much thought to bow length. For the four bows that we've already steamed and recurved...if we cut them back from 64" to around 58", we're going to lose quite a bit of the recurve. Should they be resteamed and put back on the form after they're shortened? ???

Badger, on the recurve bows you made...were they unbacked? Also what lengths were you making them?
Greg