Author Topic: A New Type of Primitive  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
A New Type of Primitive
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »
So, a year ago, I had no idea what a primitive archer was other than possibly some prehistoric bow carrying cave-man.

I thought all bows made in the last couple decades came with wheels

I thought that bow hunting was quaint but really who would do something that nutty when you could pick up a used rifle and some cartridges for less than the cost of a new bow.  I mean really??

But then one thing led to another and I end up on this site and I can't stop reading.  I become stunned by the things I see being made and done.  I still have a hard time believing that guys sit around and make arrowheads and spear points like it was still 10,000 BC.  Heck if I hadn't seen the pile at Pappy's I might still not believe it and just figure that the things I see from Sawfiler were photoshopped or something.

But then I go to Pappy's and see all there is to see there.  And I am stunned and taken by how bad I want to tan some hides with brains.  And with some email help from George T., I make a Maple Board bow that pulls 42 lbs at 29".  I almost think about making arrows but realize I just don't have the time so now I actually have to buy some arrows cause I don't even know if my Bow shoots yet or not.

But what I have done or want to do is not why I write this it is because of the odd change in me.  First, I am a tool junky and yet the overwhelming case around here seems to be to make it with what you have or what the animal gives you.  I feel like I owe a letter of explanation to the big box stores for why I don't buy any tools anymore.

And then how I look at the environment.  I literally cannot look at a tree without wondering if I could make a bow out of it.  I see a big patch of Red Ossier in the creek bed and I think what about Arrows?  I think about last year's elk hunt.  I was surrounded by Juniper trees and scrub oak.  You can bet some of them are going to come home this year. 

And of course there is the elk itself.   I am actually embarrassed to say that when we had three elk on the ground, all we took was the hides and the meat.  I mean not a single tendon for sinew, no leg bones for skinning tools.  No hooves for glue, and of course the brains weren't even considered.  What a waster I was.  If we get one this year the guys are going to think I am nuts when I start taking all the stuff we normally left for the scavengers.  And you can bet none of them are going to get next to that hide with a knife.

I think what really pointed out the change in me was when last weekend I was on the way home and I saw a roadkill bull snake on the shoulder of the road.  I screamed at my buddy who promptly turned around and we went back for it.  Came home and skinned and mounted the skin to a board.  Later on I get a call from my wife and she asks what I have been doing.  I excitedly tell her all about the snake and she is dead silent for a full minute.  Finally she says, "Why can't you just sit at home and watch Golf or Baseball like a normal guy.

Thanks guys.  Primitive Rocks!

Mike
Parker, Colorado

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: A New Type of Primitive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »
He has got it BAD.  ;D ;D   Already picking up road kill.  ;D ;D

We seem to have missed each other at the Tn. Classic. ???

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Tractor

• Mike Hettinga
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »
He has got it BAD.  ;D ;D   Already picking up road kill.  ;D ;D

We seem to have missed each other at the Tn. Classic. ???

David

Ah well you see I was both lucky and unlucky.  Unlucky in that I would have loved to attend the Classic and seen the guys in action making bows and knapping.  Lucky in that I was actually at Pappy's about three weeks before the Classic.  Had perfectly awesome weather, dry and maybe 80 degrees.  Came home and told my wife we were moving to Tennessee.  But I am already trying to get there for the Classic next year. 
Parker, Colorado

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »
wow sounds alot like me, especially the roadkill part... I got some strange looks when I went dumpster diving for deer hides and legs behind the deer processor place up the road from me.  He gave me permission and when he saw I was serious about it he started saving the legs for me instead.   :)  I also can't look at  a tree without wondering what kind of bow is hiding inside.   ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:38:25 pm »
Yep, once you get the the harvesting roadkill stage the script is pretty much set  ;D
Gordon

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:22 pm »
Tractor it's to late for most of us but you can still save yourself get on up to the gun shop and buy some thing that goes boom right away before its to late. hurry up
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 07:04:27 pm »
Sounds familiar. Wife and I have an iron clad agreement- no roadkill when she's with me ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:23:29 pm »
Dang Jeff....mine helps spot it.....load it....and skin or process it....I guess I am a Lucky Man......  ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:26:23 pm »
Tractor, i too have been to Pappy's. but not for the classic
the wife and i plan on being there next year.cant wait to meet ya and everyone else.

Mike, my wife will help spot it.but thats it,well she has put up with me taking over the 4 cubic ft freezer that i keep it all in too.
but thats it no help processing.she makes fun of me while i chew sinew  :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:14:32 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:42:57 pm »
yeah, this last rifle season i was up to my shoulders in the dumpster behind the local butcher shop, which just happens to be right behind the cop shop. not that i was doing anything wrong but i was sure that i was going to get questioned with bloody hands and all, but i sure got a lot of good sinew  ;D
45# at 27"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:57 am »
Tim...my Wife came Home and was going to put some Meat in My Freezer....and She siad...I bet there ai enough room in the Venison Freezer for these Steaks....and I told Her....well there probably was...till I stuck them 2 dead Beaver in there... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 12:59:16 am »
You're OK Tractor.   You are singing in the choir now, with the rest of us.   

Just gotta laugh....I think we all go through that phase where you can't drive past a wooded forty without slowing down and looking for THE PERFECT TREE.

piper 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:06:47 am »
Road Kill,yep you are done,I have my own freezer now,Miss Joanie use to go to ours and come back
and say what kind of dead critter do you have in there now,I would just smile. It was a pleasure meeting you and your buddy,I knew you was done for right off the bat. Good luck in your quest,it is a life changing adventure for sure. :)  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »
The ghosts of Pope, Young, Ishi, Fred Bear and the like are all collectively rubbing their hands together and quietly laughing, "mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »
 Yup. Along the country club golf course, they have a row of Osage trees and then down the road, Osage tree's on each side of the road. Keep telling myself I'll go ask the city mait. dept. (right across the road from work) if they are going to cut any of them, please let me know. You don't think anyone would notice if I fell one or two do ya? >:D Aint worked up the nerve to ask my wife if I could put some road kill in the freezer :-[ ::)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2