Author Topic: Mullet ,Bonepile and jcinpc score some coral  (Read 8478 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Mullet ,Bonepile and jcinpc score some coral
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
Eddie:  I've done a lot of diving, but never made such a haul!  Fantastic!  Now I don't feel so bad about you sending me that big box of coral cause it looks like you have plenty!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:43 am »
you ever tried to get a 300lb+ head of coral OUT of a canoe? at a dock in about 5 ft of water?. I had to get on my knees and lean opver to get the big ones out then with Rogers monster head of candy coral left, we decided to leave it in the canoe and drag the whole thing uphill.
It was funny as I was the youngest one there, Eddie and Roger are figuring out who is the oldest between the 2, meaning they are to old to pick up the big stuff ;D..... When you run across a deposit like this age doesnt matter, you feel like a young buck and are happy to have a chance to score the harder to find coral and even harder to find Ledge.

rockhound34

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »
 ;D :o killer looking coral,an great job.Some just have the luck!!!!!

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »
 ;Ddefinition of luck.....When preperation meets opportunity ;D
this is our backyard and between Eddie and myself and all the artifacting we have done with over 50 years combined we just happen to know where to look for some goodies every now and then :)

spalled a head this morning and a piece of the ledge I have left, that was gone as soon as I got home :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »

Wow, that last piece looks like you are looking into an aquarium !!:o 8)
Man, that is a great haul.  As for Roger's coral head, you had a sledge with you......sooooo, why not spall it a bit till it was a bit More manageable........? ;)  Or......he found it, he can haul it!  ;D Unless he was going to split it with you guys........ ::)  Well you being the youngest, should have been able to just manhandle that little thing on up the hill, with no problem. ::)  You should be ashamed of yourself, making those old guys, have to drag a canoe full of heavy coral up a hill ! :(tsk,tsk,tsk.!  But I guess in the end, it just comes down to the coral...... ;D  That is some great stuff there.  I wish I could have come with you. :o

Wayne

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »
I left my big spall hammer at home and all he had was a little copper hammer, enough to take an edge off. YEah I am the youngest at 43 now and have hauled some 500lb+ boulders of coral all by myself.It has taken me up to 5 hours to get just 1 head into my truck before. Roger happens to live in the "rock challenged" area of FLorida so I dont mind hauling some heavy ones for him.
No if Roger sucked real bad at knapping then I would have talked him out of it, but for 3 years of knapping the dude has it down. I remeber the first time I met him, he drove 2 hours to meet me in a Walmart parking lot to but some coral, I bet I gave him as much as he bought ;D

We also dont like to leave evidence of any rock being there for specific reasons ::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »
 Like Jeff said about luck. There really wasn't much luck involved except tripping over a head in a spot I had never looked in before. And spalling stuff out leaves too much evidence for some other rock hunter. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »

Just take the spalls, and dump them where there isn't any coral...... ;)  Let em look the area over for awhile...... ;D

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 10:46:41 pm »
  Dumping the rest is too much like hauling the whole rock somewhere else. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline arappaho

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »
Yeah, it looks like the three of you would keep the gators away. ;)

Thanks for the pics and report! Great stuff and some FANTASTIC looking material!

Joe

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 02:36:59 am »
WOW>................If u need a diver let me know???  That is amazing!  I cant wait to find some good stone in a river by me...wont be as perty as that coral but should be fun non the less!

Thanks,
Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:03 am »
All this talk about old Roger,I'll tell ya what I felt a little older the day after that's for sure.But I did get that big coral head out of my canoe all by myself.I just knocked a bucket of spalls off it and it came right out ;).Wish we had a dock photo,we didn't have all the loot unloaded and the end of the dock was below the water line .After we carried it all up to the trucks everyone in the parking lot thought we were a bunch of crazy prospectors
Venice Florida

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:53:09 am »
You guys need a bigger boat !  That is some beautiful stuff.   ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »
the back of my truck is like a traveling rock show, lol. I gave some lady a piece of Alabama jasper I had back there, a coral head a piece of Flint Ridge and some other rock. I would have given her a cab but I didnt bring any

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
  I'm right there with you, Roger. I'm still bent over a little bit when I get up after sitting awhile. But I'm ready to get more, maybe this three day weekend.
Lakeland, Florida