Author Topic: braided leather bowgrip  (Read 31311 times)

Offline oneeye

Re: braided leather bowgrip
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 02:24:32 pm »
JW,  I don't think it would work if you waited. When you get the leather wet and wrap, it actually stretches or smashes it making the leather thinner, i think it would loosen everything up.

Barrage, that is a perma-lok threading needle the lacing threads into the end. very handy little tool.

We're not quite done yet. I'll get the rest up soon.   Scott

Lombard

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 10:43:40 pm »
Wicked nice indeed. Thanks for taking the time.

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 02:30:18 am »
Scott,

Definitely have to say thank you for being so willing to share this.  It sure is a sharp looking grip style!!
Nate Danforth

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 03:32:56 am »
excellent! Thanks so much for taking the time :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 09:59:10 pm »

Thanks, that is cool! 8)  Where did you get the perma lock threading needle?  I have a couple very old lacing needles, but not like that.  I can't find any Tandy stores around here, or south of me.  Thanks for showing this I really like it. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:41 pm »
JW,  I don't think it would work if you waited. When you get the leather wet and wrap, it actually stretches or smashes it making the leather thinner, i think it would loosen everything up.

Well, I just had to go and try it.  I was going to sew on a leather grip yesterday, so I found some two ply cordage and commenced to stitching the grip.  I then wrapped the handle with a damp cloth and let it set 15 minutes.  I removed the cloth and proceeded to wrap tightly with the twisted cordage.  I left it overnite and removed the cord this morning.  Yup, worked like a charm, I now have an embossed bowgrip. 

I think the reason it worked is that I prestretch the handle wraps before sewing.  I generally dampen the leather after stitching it on and it always shrinks up nice and tight.  I did find that I may have wrapped the damp leather too tightly with the cordage because the leather is now kinda hard.  I'll add some neetsfoot or other leather dressing to inmprove that situation. Next, I'm going to have to try the leather lacing trick.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 12:59:36 pm »
I love it.  Thanks for sharing this!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
WOW!!!! That's all I can say!!!! Grips have always been my downfall,hopefully I can manage to do this?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:16 am »
Thanks for sharing! Best handle wrap I have seen yet. I'll definitely have to research the stitching a bit more as it's a little hard to decipher from the pics.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:25 am »
Thanks for sharing! Best handle wrap I have seen yet.

Agreed! That's a real eye catcher, my favorite type too.  Your work is flawless Oneeye, thanks for sharing this.  I attempted this wrap on my last bow, but the lacing didn't turn out nearly as perfect as yours.

Offline dbb

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Very good pics,easy to see what to do.
I was looking for those needles and found this.An easy way to make one.
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/sutra1367.php

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...