Author Topic: Hickory amazes me  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Badger

Hickory amazes me
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
  A friend of mine dropped off a bow he was working on last week. He wanted about 85# and was told the most he could get out of this 62" stave was about 50#. Looks to be about 1 3/4 wide. I put it on the scale and it was some dense hickory. Thought I would put my mass theory to the test. It predicted I could get 90# @ 30" so I figured I had nothing to loose so would go for it. I got the 90#@30" with 1" set. I believe this is the most I have ever gotten from a stave this size with a stiff handle. I wished I could draw it back and test it out. If he doesn't come by to test it out I may just hook it up to my shooting machine. Not much to look at but I bet it has some killing power. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hickory amazes me
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:21 pm »
Hickory is some amazing stuff for sure,I do a lot of Hickory and one that wide and that length I see no reason it wouldn't do that,I know when I use to make them wider,say 2 inches at the fads you had to get them really thin to get them down in the low 50s ,especially ones in the 64/66 range. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:06 pm »
That is awesome Badger. I try to come close to the mass numbers from your calculator. That and your no set tillering, have given me superior results.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »
Yes, indeed. What no pictures? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:33:36 pm »
Hickory is amazing for a lot of us. I'm still looking for a white wood that will compare, although there are still many woods that I haven't tried yet but within the density range of Hickory I am slowly running out of options. I've got some pretty dense Mulberry on deck though. I've got to get it dry first, but nothing in the range of that draw weight, my shoulder would be screaming for help.

Very respectable outcome considering the draw weight to length comparison. I agree, pictures would be nice.
Central Kentucky

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:52 pm »
  I will get some photos when Steve comes by to pick it up. Too hard for me to hold the rope and take the photo. Steve

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »
I agree Steve,dense hickory is an incredible bow wood.The last several I've built, using your mass principle,have turned out exceptional.I also have very good success with high density "slippery elm",but,I have yet to make the chart recommendation for bow mass with the elm yet.But I'm still trying. Also,thanks for your contributions to our form of archery.God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:16 pm »
 :o  Getting out the popcorn, staying tuned. I'm riveted.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:15:40 am »
Badger, this is like the 3rd or 4th in as many week that I've seen a referrence to your no-set tiller method.  Did I miss that post along the way.  Or, should I look else where for it.  Heck I'd even learn the secret handshake even if it meant being semi nekkid, standing on one foot and crowing like an asmatic rooster.  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:21:01 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 02:31:41 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17294.0.html

I believe this is the "no-set tiller" thread.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:33:28 am »
I believe,that for an unbacked bow,its the best wood,for my high desert climate.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:46 pm »
Thanks Diligence.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »
Dunno why we don't seem to have Hickory growing in the UK :-[.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gpw

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »
 Del , we don't have Hickory growing here, but we do have Pecan , which makes a pretty decent bow ...  seems tough like Hickory ... but we make them slightly wider.. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:14:17 pm »
Del , we don't have Hickory growing here, but we do have Pecan , which makes a pretty decent bow ...  seems tough like Hickory ... but we make them slightly wider.. 
Ta, I shall look it up. So many different trees so little time. ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.