Author Topic: Are Traditional Bows humane?  (Read 60242 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Are Traditional Bows humane?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 02:05:28 am »
I heard about a hound guy the other day that was convicted of animal cruelty here in the states for culling a litter of unwanted puppies from his own dog. He hit them on the head with a hammer. I'm not quite sure how that was cruel, but the judge said it was.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 07:48:26 pm »
Justin, pounding a puppies brains out sounds pretty cruel to me. Could have taken em to the pound or just given them away. There is always an alternative in this type of case.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 11:18:31 pm »
Justin, pounding a puppies brains out sounds pretty cruel to me. Could have taken em to the pound or just given them away. There is always an alternative in this type of case.
Nothing is more humane than instant brain death. Cruelty insinuates there is pain involved. One of the local shelters puts them in a garage with a vehicle running. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 01:10:41 am »
Lets see, pound will first try and get someone to take them home with them? Only after a certain time period do they put em under. Might actually be someone out there who might have wanted one of them puppies.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:23:54 am »
David, Im not saying it was the BEST way to deal with unwanted puppies. But thousands of puppies are culled every year by other means not as friendly as this one.  My point is just that it was not cruel. You might be able to argue if it was ethical, but there is no doubt about it not being cruel. Justin

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 06:12:38 am »
I'm with Justin on this one. Who here has ever killed rabbits-ya whack em on the head. Chickens -cut the head off.
Pigs- hang em by the hocks and slit their throat so ya can save the blood. Cows - well you get it eh. They were his dogs and
he exercised his rights and did put them down in a efficient manner. Are you upset because they were dogs? Whta about cats?
My dad would drown the unwanted kittens which is a quite common practice. I guess the guy could have ate them after providing fair chase
and shooting them. I don't care for the word "humane" applied to animals because their not human. We owe any animal we kill an efficient death.
Yes kill not harvest, I harvest corn and peas. Some hunters seem to be buying into the insidious drivel that the liberal anti's have been spreading around.
Divide and conquer is how they operate. One other thing all the pounds up here charge a fee to drop off an unwanted animal I believe its in $25-$50
range. I better stop here as my BP is rising and I'm about to bring religion and politics into this!
In closing grow up people life isn't a Disney movie.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:41 am »
Thankyou Dana,well said.I've heard the same argument on Paleo planent where you are definitely outnumbered by bunny huggers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 08:51:29 am »
Now Eddie, who in the world would go onto Paleoplanet and argue about stuff like that? ::) ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:25 am »
Dana, I don't like the word humane at all.  Humane means to act human. Look what humans did to each other during every major war in the last century. There was nothing nice about it. If you treated dogs and cats the way some people treat people, these bunny huggers would change their mind about the death penalty.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 11:07:26 am »
Well I think the "humane" part refers to the human doing the killing not the animal being killed but that's beside the point. A good quick and solid blow to the head is an efficient way to kill an animal.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 05:06:22 pm »
Guys, all I'm saying is I think there were alternatives. How about your friend getting the dog fixed so he dont have to worry about it in the future? True, he had the right to do it. But, I always like to consider there is some kid out there that would love to have a puppy.  Sure helped out when I was a kid. Builds a lot of charector and teaches responsibility.

The pounds where you are from are charging to take on unwanted pets? Jeesh! Thats lousy! Dont think that happens here.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 05:22:37 pm »
David, I can appreciate what your saying. But a lot of these guys have $5000 dogs. The blood lines need protected for the value of the dog to stay there. Sometimes you have accidental breeding from some yahoo's dog while you are hunting. They have given away pups under the condition that they will be for kids and fixed.  Then the yahoo that takes them starts breeding them. After that they cull the pups they don't want. Like I said, its not weather or not he was doing the best thing. It is the fact that someone had the gall to charge him with cruelty to animals.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 06:42:01 pm »
Quick death is better than just starving them to death. Personally I could not do it to a pup. Charging your friend with cruelty may be over the top too.

$5000 for a dog?!?! Jeesh, maybe I'm in the wrong buisness!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 07:27:01 pm »
They are hunting dogs. I can find you some worth $10000-$15000 if you want.  ;D When you hunt for a living, a dog that can reliably catch 100 lion a year is worth a lot.  Ironically, it is the culling of unwanted dogs that has produced these incredible hunters. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 08:39:19 pm »
Dad used to talk about bear hunting with Vonn Plott, one of the family who originated the well-known Plott breed of hounds (they originated here in the county I live in-most of us here grew up coon and bear hunting with hounds and know all about hauling thousand-dollar coon dogs around in our five-hundred-dollar trucks :) ). He said Vonn would sometimes go into the woods with a pack of young dogs and come out with a couple of dogs and a bunch of collars on his belt. That's how they bred 'em, if they didn't perform like they were bred to, they didn't live to reproduce. Right or wrong, that's the way most of the old-school houndsmen were.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.