Author Topic: Are Traditional Bows humane?  (Read 60303 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Are Traditional Bows humane?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
   Steve yep,The same here.Have a good friend that had two top of the line Catahoulla bay and catch dogs.He paid good money for them and almost won the top prize at the Baying contest on the Seminole Reservation in Ocheechobee.The only place,by the way they have this competition because of animal rights activist.They use live, mean, hogs.
   We were out catching hogs one night and heard a hell of a noise.Found the two dogs with a big Brahma bull down on the ground.We got them off and went back to the truck.Pistol came out and both dogs were left there.You lose permission to hunt on these ranches here when they start to seeing cows mauled.And the dogs weren't bought for pets.
   I had a litter born with 3 legs,6 and 7 toes,duck feet,you get the picture.The bitch abandoned them.I took them to the lake and shot them with a 22 pistol one at a time.I fed the gators and thought if nothing more then saving them a rough life I contributed to the food chain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 10:20:09 pm »
As to the pound charging to drop off off unwanted dogs and cats, I believe the main reason is its a rule that
you can't adopt an animal from them unless its spayed or neutered. I believe this to be a good rule. Also I don't think some of the hunting breeds make good pets for kids, bear and lion dogs in particular, they have a certian attitude if ya know what I mean. I know a guy that runs plotts fer bear he paid $5000 for a dog well anyway
he was out huntin and his dogs cornered a big bad ass male that stood his ground, kilt 2 of his dogs and had his $5000 dog in his jaws when Todd jumped on his back and stuck the barrel of his 44 in its ear and let em have it. The dog lived bear didn't ;D I personally don't hunt with dogs only have Yorkies the only use fer hunting they would be is as bait.
But I know quite a few folks that run hounds and the blood line is all important to them. Cull, Cull, Cull

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 10:46:14 pm »
 I have a lab.In Florida with the gators,they are known as Top Water Plugs. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 11:24:16 pm »
Dana, You fish much?  Put them suckers on a leash and take a stroll through the hills. We call it trolling for mountain lion.  ;D

I had a red bone that would tree a lion pretty good.  We were at the tree and he started running off and making a racket like he was trailing a lion.  The other dogs started to get confused and wanted to leave the tree.  That dang red bone sleeps under that lion tree perminant like now.  I keep shock collars on all my dogs.  If they so much as look at a deer they are going to light up like a light bulb.  I love my dogs, but they best be doing what they are supposed to.  Justin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:28:10 pm by justin snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 05:41:23 am »
The Yorkies do their job perfectly they look cute, eat, sleep, crap, and yap at anything they see outta the window. ;)
Actually their good house pets.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 05:29:01 pm »
Dont hunt with dogs myself. I want to get close and personal with nature. If I cant drop out of a tree and strangle'em with my loin cloth its just no fun!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »
Dont hunt with dogs myself. I want to get close and personal with nature. If I cant drop out of a tree and strangle'em with my loin cloth its just no fun!!!  ;D
I sure hope you like that tree. You might be there for years. When was the last time you were able to grab a cougar by the tail?  Justin
BTW dogs are part of nature.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 07:50:02 pm »
Do they taste good????
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 08:22:18 pm »
I think it depends on how ya cook em  ;) I'd suggest a slow cooker with lots of onions and garlic.

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:02 pm »
  I missed this,What are we cooking dogs or cougers?If it's dogs slow roasted on a spit with low coals is real tasty.Add a little garlic salt and black pepper.Thats how we did it on a fishing trip. 8)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »
mmmmmmmmmm what breed were they. I like pampered poodles their real tender ;D

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:13 pm »
I gotta laugh this thread started out as "Are Traditional Bows Humane" now were trading dog recipes.
Maybe PatB could offer up some cat recipes ;D

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 08:45:50 pm »
Cougar backstrap is about as good as it gets.  I shoot everything with a cannon. Digital that is. It has to be a monster before I knock it out of the tree. Although its good practice with a blunt. 
Dogs is another story. I'm sure there is a secret to cooking them. I know you don't boil them. Even without the hide they smell like a wet dog. Makes it kind of hard to eat.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »
Hmmmmm.......Seems like with this bunch, no matter what the subject starts out as, we always wind up talking about food............Pappy better watch out at this potluck supper next week ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:50 pm »
  Dana,From what I hear,Poodles are like domestic rabbits,nothing like the real thing,"mutts".
Lakeland, Florida