Author Topic: time for steam bent wood to dry  (Read 8767 times)

Offline d frana

time for steam bent wood to dry
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »
Yesterday I did my first steam bend.  I bent recurves on a roughed out vine maple bow and now I need to let it dry good before I do more shaping and tillering.  I figured on waiting a month.  The woods about 1/2' thick.  How long is long enough?

Offline sonny

Re: time for steam bent wood to dry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:33:29 pm »
A week is probably plenty. waiting a month can't hurt.

also, however counter intuitive it may seem steaming actually dries wood significantly. your wood will need to rehydrate not dehydrate......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »
I agree with sonny about needing to rehydrate.  usually a week is enough time.  Was the vine maple already seasoned or was it still green when you steamed it?   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:34:12 pm »
It's not drying that matters after steam bending.  It's cooling.  Once cooled to ambient temperature the bend should be set.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline d frana

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:43 pm »
I'm sure it was good and dry.  I had it stored indoors more than 2 years as a roughed out stave.  The humidity here lately has been  around 95% so it shouldn"t  take too long.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:55:28 pm »
I resume tillering after waiting about 24 hours after steaming. I've steam bent a lot of limbs and handles and have never had a problem doing that.
Gordon